Tromix S17 or Redjacket Firearms Shorty

I have decided to buy a shorty S12. I am having a hard time deciding between Tromix S17 or Redjacket Firearms Shorty. The Tromix has been around forever and has great resale value. I have not handled either weapon. Only web pictures. I have owned about 10 saigas all calibers. All were converted by me. Could someone point out the major pros or cons of each (assuming there are any)? I am really interested in the Redjacket can as well. Seems like a cool edition to any shotgun:) Are the redjacket trigger guards bolted on welded on or riveted? I looked for a review on Youtube but there aren't any.

Price right now is the major decider looks like Redjacket sells theirs with a can for $2500. I see Tromix Shortys go for $2100. So for $400 more I get a can. too put a can on a tromix is another $900?

Thanks

Ralph

Red Jacket makes fantastic guns, and stands by them with a great warranty. I broke mine - badly. Broken bolt carrier. Will fixed it. Then refinished the entire weapon. He makes loyal customers. I will definitely own more firearms manufactured in Baton Rouge.

Hey all, I guess this is my first post. I've been lurking this site for a few years and just never felt the need to post. I have a shorty S12 from Red Jacket.

The customer service from Red Jacket is hands down the best I've ever experienced. I sent my S12 to them last year, and was extremely satified with the final product when I got it back. I hadn't put that many round through the gun prior to shipping it off to them (<500 mix buck, birdshot, slugs), and when I really started shooting it after the modification, it revealed itself to be an unusual vodka special. There were two imperfections inside the gas block that would slowly deform the puck, eventually causing the gun to have FTE's with high brass loads with the factory 5 round mag. I called Will about it, sent it back to them, and he fixed the gas block and threw in a lot of extra work at no cost. Red Jacket stands behind their product 100%. If you have a problem with their product, they fix it, period. Red Jacket will be my Saiga gunsmith's for any saiga/AK work.

Either way, Tromix or Red Jacket, you'll be happy with the product, but my vote is for Red Jacket.

You won't hear complaints about either company; there aren't any.

TROMIX basically invented the short S12 as it exists today, but I have great confidence in Wills work. In fact, I generally recommend him for customers that can't wait for a TROMIX.

• Like 2

You won't hear complaints about either company; there aren't any.

TROMIX basically invented the short S12 as it exists today, but I have great confidence in Wills work. In fact, I generally recommend him for customers that can't wait for a TROMIX.

.......what Bob said !!!!!

I've never shot a Tromix, but I do have two RedSticks. I' ve got the eight inch SBS and an 18 inch. Both are wonderful examples of how a Saiga should work. God bless Will for his excellent customer service. UPS all but destroyed my SBS during shipping. I called Will to see what to do as the receiver was already registered/ transferred to my 03 FFL. Will's immediate response was "send it back and I'll fix it". It's hard to put into words how busted up this SBS was, it came back to me perfect. I have no doubt Tromix does great work, but RedStick is top notch too.

Take one of these............

us-quarter.gif

..........assign Tromix to one side, and Red Jacket to the other. Flip it. You now have your answer as to which to go with, and you'll still be ending up with a high quality piece of bad-assery.

I wanted a 12" I called Tromix and they had already standardized their bbl sizes and no longer made a 12"

I called Will and he said He would build it exactly how I wanted.

I ended up growing a pair and doing the conversion myself (10" SBS with Gas block moved 2" back) but if I were to chose one company SOLELY based on first impressions I would have chosen Will.

That being said I am too impatient to wait for a Tromix, Will said he usually has them done before the Stamp comes back. The reason Tromix has a high resell is because they are SOOO hard to get ahold of, Tony has paved the way for all other s-12 shorties.

Props to Tony for creating this monster and Props to Will for making them easier to obtain!

You cant go wrong with either company

Heres mine Im really glad I went 10" and not 8" it looks much more proportional and I have a full size handguard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyc4UIabII8

Jeaux E,

Is that a Krebs sight package on that Tromix? If so, it looks like you have to take off the brake and sight to pull the plug and puck. Is that the case?

That is indeed the case........... That's the small price paid for having it just like I wanted it !!

Not nearly so much a PIA as you might think...........

I'm glad I went with the 10" too..........!! Moves that fireball 2" further away from my nose !!

This is my 10" TROMIX shorty.....it's a one-of-a-kind Tony built for me.

Interesting stock. What is it?

It's a modified Spas 15 stock. Pretty freaking sweet and impossible to find another.

I'm glad I went with the 10" too..........!! Moves that fireball 2" further away from my nose !!

It's a modified Spas 15 stock. Pretty freaking sweet and impossible to find another.

Nice. I've never seen one on an S12 before. So I guess you're right Joe, it is "one-of-a-kind"! :super:

Tony did only two of the modified SPAS-15 stocks....... One to me, and one to another Forum member here. The second stock was never put on an S-12 to my knowledge, but I don't know if the other member still has it or not........

PM me if you're interested and I'll tell you who to contact......

(.......and you're right, Superhawk, it's pretty freaking sweet !!!!)

Nice. I've never seen one on an S12 before. So I guess you're right Joe, it is "one-of-a-kind"! :super:

..........and not only because of the stock......The positioning of the gas block is different than other S-17's, and the extension from the gas block to the front sight to fill in the gap.....There were several other little custom tweaks that Tony did on this gun, as well..........

Also, here's a peek at the only TROMIX 10th Anniversary gun Tony ever produced.....it's a Legion/Arsenal/TROMIX

SGL-10 in 7.62 x 39 !! You want to talk sweet? This is it..........

post-3950-0-22207200-1291592638_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-85708900-1291592646_thumb.jpg