Are Galil mags Pre-ban??

Well i need some pre-ban mags and I think i've only found one place that says they are but i want to be sure. Right now im looking at the Orlites(weather plastic or metal),Bulgarian factory 10, and i know Weiger mags are but i cant find them. So are those all the good mags for our .223 out their or is there a few im missing that are pre-ban?

Edited by bigstang

I've got Weiger magazines out the wazoo. Now that I have a Renegadebuck adapter, I don't need them. You live in New York state, so anyone selling them to you would be breaking the law, since they hold more than the limit allowed in your state. Sorry I can't help you...

You've got that wrong...the Weigers are preban so the mag limit is moot, 20,30,40 or more rounders are fine as long as they are preban. Only mags made after sept 1994 have to be 10rds or less;ie mags made after the ban went into effect.

I've got Weiger magazines out the wazoo. Now that I have a Renegadebuck adapter, I don't need them.

Are they in good shape? If so, would you be willing to part with two or three? Name your price.

I'm still trying to find what is the best mag for my .223 Saiga. So far the Orlites are the most trouble free, but I don't feel great about leaving them loaded since they don't seem to have steel reinforcement in the feed lips.

Actually, I rechecked and my original purchase of the magazines was described as "Romanian wasr3 .223" magazines. To me they look exactly identical to all of the photos I've ever seen of Weiger magazines. I used a dremel to grind three of them to insert into my Saiga 223. The first one I was sloppy doing it and it is a little bit wobbly, but the next two I ground click in absolutely tight in the magazine well. I'm guessing that the guy I bought them from considered them as for a Century "Romanian" 223, and that they are actually Weigers. I can post a picture of one if necessary.

Actually, I rechecked and my original purchase of the magazines was described as "Romanian wasr3 .223" magazines. To me they look exactly identical to all of the photos I've ever seen of Weiger magazines. I used a dremel to grind three of them to insert into my Saiga 223. The first one I was sloppy doing it and it is a little bit wobbly, but the next two I ground click in absolutely tight in the magazine well. I'm guessing that the guy I bought them from considered them as for a Century "Romanian" 223, and that they are actually Weigers. I can post a picture of one if necessary.

Sure, a pic would be appreciated. How many do you have? And where did you have to grind to make them fit?

now do u just have to dreamal a little on the mags not add anything??? or do they pritty much pop in? and thanks alot

It's difficult to say, since there is - very unfortunately - a large variation in the Saiga .223 models around the mag well. What works in one without modification may require extensive modification for another rifle, or may not work at all. In my rifle, I had to modify the rifle AND the mags to make the Circle 10 mags work. The Galil Orlites work with only a slight and very easy modification to a spot on each side of the mag. The Galil steel mags click right in with no modification, but have enough side to side wobble to be worrisome. It may be different in your rifle.

I haven't tried the Weigers yet, but there is a tutorial on the old cross-con Saiga conversion site about how to dremel those mags to make them fit in the Saiga.

Here's how I did my Weigers:

#1 file/dremel down the front sides of the magazine to be just below flush with the front of the magazine follower. Generally around 1/16" is removed.

#2 File/dremel down the rear upper "spine" of the magazine above the rear catch until, after inserting the front of the magazine into the well and snagging it there, the magazine slides down enough for the rifle's latch to begin to engage the underside of the rear magazine catch.

I had to remove almost 1/8".

#3 Very gradually remove a little from the underside of the rear magazine catch until the rifle's latch just barely snaps all the way in and secures the magazine tightly. This step needs to be done slowly to avoid removing too much metal which results in loose magazines.

post-22196-0-00992000-1291494042_thumb.jpg

post-22196-0-06123200-1291494052_thumb.jpg

post-22196-0-51330200-1291494060_thumb.jpg

Edited by marsofold