Lower hand guard retainer question

I am thinking about installing lower hand guard retainer on my .223 but the barrel doesn't have the two side notches. If anyone bought CSS lower retainer what did their instructions say about this issue? Not interested in spending $85.00 for a retainer.

I am thinking about installing lower hand guard retainer on my .223 but the barrel doesn't have the two side notches. If anyone bought CSS lower retainer what did their instructions say about this issue? Not interested in spending $85.00 for a retainer.

can u get me a pic of the barrel

bigstang here is a pic of the notches or groves i am talking about. they can be seen in the first few seconds of the video. My .223 doesn't have them.

I am considering using this retainer. still have to make notch on top of barrel. anyone have any experience with this retainer?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32501/Product/?mc_id=100500&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c1563_a_7c997000010_d_997000010_d_5001&avad=avant

Toshbar i ordered one as well I am going to give it a try with my .223 and a k=-var hand guard. My .223 barrel doesn't have side groves on the barrel so if it works then i may do the same with the 7.62. I am trying to figure out where i am going to put the sling right now. I really like the side mount of the original retainer but this will not provide that so i am looking for a different method right now. I am also trying to buy stock OEM hand guards from anyone on the forum to try some mod ideas.

I use a USGI web sling to shoot out to 500 yards with my 5.45 so I'm probably going to put a swivel stud in my front handguard. It will be non-original, but I really like having the extra stability of a sling. I found a site last night that was selling factory saiga handguards for $14, but I can't find it in my history.

Edited by toshbar

I use a USGI web sling to shoot out to 500 yards with my 5.45 so I'm probably going to put a swivel stud in my front handguard. It will be non-original, but I really like having the extra stability of a sling.

Why do you need a swivel stud to have the stability of a sling? I use SKS slings, and they work fine for added stability. I can't do a loop sling with that setup, only a hasty sling, but a loop sling is completely impractical for any actual combat situation, IMHO. (And even a hasty sling is unlikely to be used in those situations).

Besides, USGI web slings rattle loudly. I don't believe it's a good choice for an AK. (I have one on my 10/22).

Edited by Jim Digriz

SKS sling, or standard AK sling with clip hook.

And hook it to what?

EDITED: OK, went back and tried to understand what you were talking about, and I see the Vulcan Arms one. I can see the problem there, which is why I wouldn't use that one.

Maybe I don't understand what kind of bolt-on retainer that you are talking about. Does it not have the standard mounting point?

post-21696-12657411240522_thumb.jpg

akbor1_1.jpg

Edited by Jim Digriz

I use a USGI web sling to shoot out to 500 yards with my 5.45 so I'm probably going to put a swivel stud in my front handguard. It will be non-original, but I really like having the extra stability of a sling. I found a site last night that was selling factory saiga handguards for $14, but I can't find it in my history.

if you do find the link I would appreciate a Pm. thanks

Leadslinger,

If you want to try the Brownells one make sure you read my thread about it:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60870&pid=580321&st=0entry580321

It doesn't have the sling loop but there are other routes to go if you wanted to. If you have a railed handguard you could attach a sling mount there, even screw the swivel ones right into the handguard if you wanted (I probably will).

There's also the barrel clamp-on things like NcStar has. You could even do that and put it in front of the handguard retainer to have something extra in front of it to help brace it on the barrel.

I've seen things like this used with good results on the gas block.

sacloseup2.jpg

Probably what I will end up with when I get around to doing my front end conversion.

edit: Yes I realize that is a Galil sling loop, but it would work the same on the gas block, just less slack. I've seen some AR-15s with the same thing on their front sights also.

Edited by Sepherus

i was thinking something similar worried about twisting gas block. the way these things are built it shouldn't. 2 other thoughts

1. para cord around gas block in between barrel and tube insertion point...concern heat cooking para cord?

2. mount a sling attachment on the rear of the lower handguard...concern getting in the way of grip/reloads..and would attachment be strong enough in the polymer.

post-7194-0-48755900-1292552952_thumb.jpg

Edited by leadslinger