Pre-Conversion Concern

Preface: I've had my saiga 7.62 for a few years now and I really really love it as I know many of you do too, but I'm ready to try the conversion. I have confidence in myself to be able to do it, and I have more tools than I know what to do with half the time; now I just need a little clarification to push me over the edge of my decision to continue.....

Question: I have watched all the conversion videos and read tons of material and I know how everyone says it's sooooo easy, so the only thing I'm left wondering is.....how do I know if my rifle already has the necessary holes cut in the bottom of the reciever (PG nut hole, new trigger)?

Things I am considering: I have heard some people say you just have to field strip and peer in to be able to tell if you have a PG hole underneath the bottom plate. However, I have read a million posts on people who started their conversions and realized they have to cut their own holes. If it was as simple as peering in before starting the conversion does that mean those ppl who were surprised to find no preexisting hole just didn't look before starting? I know everyone says the hole is easy to cut, and I'm sure I could do it, but I'd rather play it safe and avoid it (don't want to blow it on my only beloved saiga). If someone can tell me how to tell if there is a hole, and I find out there isn't one in my rifle, then I will eventually go through with the conversion anyway....just want to be prepared though.

NOTE: If any of you are thinking/wondering, "why is this idiot asking this question when he could just go pop off the dust cover and check right now?" Its because I am a student and the rifle is at home, I'm hoping to start the conversion over holiday break and I'm getting my "homework" done now.

Thanks Everyone

There are several web pages that cover the conversion better and simpler than the video. In your case I would say buy one of the replacement trigger guards from CSS or Dinzag, and don't mess with trying to save the factory one.

1) field strip

2) drill two rivets across rear with trigger and linkage and drive out (pistol grip hole is under the linkage between trigger and hammer/disconector assembly)

3) Disassemble rest of Fire control group

4) Take dremel or cut off grinder and grind rivets flush with bottom of trigger plate

5) use chisel from rear to front to pop plate off rivet stubs

6) further grind down rivet stubs to flush with bottom of receiver

7) Drive out rivets with punch and hammer, using a long 3/8 socket against the underside around the head of the rivet to keep from deforming the bottom of the receiver

8) Clean up and re-paint bottom

Assemble (use web page for this.

The pistol grip nut hole is right above the current trigger.

I took a pic of my wife's unconverted 7.62 and circled the pistol grip hole.

imarangmaster listed steps very well. It is simple to do don't worry. Also buy from CSS with pleasure.

Enjoy the new ride when you're done.

PGH.jpg?t=1291573703

Edited by NM0
  • Like 1