Need Some Scope Ring Help

I have never bought a scope that didn't come with usable rings...until now. My posp took a dump and I decided to buy American. I got a Burris 3-9x40 and a UTG side mount( the one with the rail on the top and on the side too) for my Saiga 308 with a wood stock. What size rings do I need? Or atleast how do I measure first so I only have to buy one set?

Its a matter of finding the right ring such that your objective will clear the rear sight leaf.

First, you need to know how high the UTG rail is compared to the rear sight leaf. Since I also have one, I can say that the top of the rail surface is about level with the rear sight leaf.

So starting with your objective which is 40mm, half of that is 20mm. The scope I am guessing a 1in tube, so half of that in metric is about 12.5mm. 20mm - 12.5mm = 7.5mm so lets say 8mm to be safe. Add another 3mm - 4mm for the thickness of the scope covers and you have a rail to ring dimension of 12mm add that to 12.5mm and you get a ring height from rail surface to ring center of 24.5mm ~ 1in.

I hope that helps.