My Saigas Are Awfully Hard on Spent Cases

I own three Saigas - .223, .308 & 7.62X39 - and they are all really hard on spent cases as they are ejecting, putting sharp creases in the sides. Now, if all I used was non-reloadable steel-cased ammo, it wouldn't be an issue, but I reload. I seem to remember seeing something on one of the forums about some sort of remedy for this, but I cannot find it now.

Any solutions out there?

Thanks in advance.

Old SF

Most AKs do that. The way I understand it, it is caused by the case striking the charging handle as it is ejected. I think someone posted a slow-motion video of this a while back. If that is the case, going to a left-side charging handle and removing the original handle would solve the problem.

Most AKs do that. The way I understand it, it is caused by the case striking the charging handle as it is ejected. I think someone posted a slow-motion video of this a while back. If that is the case, going to a left-side charging handle and removing the original handle would solve the problem.

What about wrapping the charging handle with some kind of foam-like material?

I put a piece of black surgical tubing over my charging handle. I put some car door edge molding along the top and rear ejection port areas of my dust cover. Once it wears out, it's cheap to replace.

That keeps my brass from getting too beat up. .

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • 1 month later...

That dent is due to the casings hitting the dust cover, not the charging handle. The addition of car-door trim to the edge of the dust cover does the trick as does a Valmet Ejection Buffer (rather pricey). Hope this helps...

JG

How interesting. I will give this a try. Almost sounds too easy.