Saiga 308 - weight?

Hello fellow Michigander. :beer:

The 308 Saigas I've seen have all been fairly heavy, compared to other Saigas. Probably just the ammo, since they don't weigh that much more than other calibers when stock (4.1 lbs vs 3.8 lbs, on average). That's according to Izhmash's own site.

Of course, the 308s often get larger scopes put on them, so that'll contribute to weight, where a 7.62x39 or something might have a small red dot, or no scope at all.

Mine is pretty heavy as I have a bunch of custom stuff on it No plastic left on it. 11 lbs

I am sue that with a Tapco stock and grip there would not be much more weight than stock which saiga lists at about 4 lbs but 7 lbs seems to be along other guesses.

Damn mines heavy. Shoot good though.

What’s the weight of a 16" Saiga .308? How about a converted .308?

I'm looking at my M1A SOCOM and, while I love it, it is quite heavy.

I am considering a new project - lightweight .308 battle carbine.

Any input would be appreciated.

Specific cost isn't a big consideration. I got more $ than sense...

Cheers!

It would probably come in around 9 1/2 pounds with a loaded 20 round csspecs mag, K-Var furniture, and no scope.

Edited by Jim Digriz

easy610 LOCATION: just outside beautiful detroit - man you must have one heck of a sence of humor, I delivered drywall in Port Huron and reloaded lumber in Detroit yesterday ( Two blocks from 007"s strip club) and there is nothing in Detroit that fits that descripition.

Edited by SCHULTZE

I just stripped the bipod and scope from my 21" conversion. The weight was just about 8.5# without a magazine. The furniture includes a Kvar NATO-length buttstock, Tapco AK pistol grip, and the original forend. It may be a few ounces overweight because it also has a Tech Sights TS200 and a coat of OD paint.

If I had to guess the weight with a 16" barrel, I'd put it at just about 8#.

Edited by DrThunder88

If I had more money than sense right now (it's a close tie cause i'm broke at the moment) I would pick up the Kel tec RFB 7.62 bullpup in a heartbeat. Played with one at the shop the other day and it's light and balanced. Just didn't have the $1400 with me!

about 8.5 lbs sounds right for a saiga .308. Now why on earth would you want a lightweight .308 battel rifle? It's gonna kick like a mule and the ammo is gonna weigh about 1 lb/per 20 rounds no matter what the gun weighs. IMHO only a bolt action makes sense for a lightweight .308, when all you carry is the rifle, scope and 5-10 rnds. Otherwise there are lighter cartridges that will function better in smaller lighter guns.

yeah, the s308 is heavier than the other saigas....esp in front. i like the balance better in the smaller saiga models. ive always liked a lighter barrel in the s308, and never understood why the russians but sucha thick barrel on the s308.......

mho, i think that the heavier barrel is for two reasons: 1. as jk47 mentioned, heavy is better to tame 308 in a relatively small platform, and 2) i think izmash designed it that way because a heavy stiff barrel ought to twist/torque less on firing and that lessened "Whip" won't translate in receiver twist for a sheet metal frame that was never designed for this large of a caliber. just speculating though......

My question is Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Yes what are those dreadful books doing in a picture of a nice rifle?

(I was forced to read those by the former GF.. Thankfully I read really fast or I'd probably be in jail for homicide instead of single)

Once you tote that sucker on your shoulder for about an hour or two weight becomes more of an issue with each step. Start regretting not taking the x39.

No scopes for me thanks and ten or fifteen round mags if you please.

Four 15 round Surefire Mags is the most I would even consider as a load-out, lugging four 20 or 25s steel mags around is just masochism.