I ordered a Stevens bolt action .308. Wanting a long range optic (200-700 yards) that will

gather light well and most of all be extremely rugged. Not wanting to spend a whole lot of money but don't want crap either. Any suggestions? Are scopes with built in BDC's worth it or do they create too much clutter?

Honestly, I have been doing research for the last couple of months for my new Savage 10FP Folding Choate build. The best I have found is the Millett http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=458997&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Scopes%20-%2012X%20and%20Greater-_-PriceCompListing-_-458997

Lifetime warranty, good glass, great features, and a Mil-Mil turret and reticle.

You can't beat it for the cash.

In my opinion, BDCs are ok if you don't care for super precision. They'll be set up for a specific caliber, in a specific weight and specific bullet type going a specific speed at a specific tempurature, elevation and humidity. Height of the scope above the bore can play a small part in the equation too, though often minimal. That's the down side.

Assuming the BDC is easy to use and not too confusing, the up side is it should allow for pretty close hold-overs at various ranges. Fairly quickly too. I personally don't use them much though. I change out bullet type too much, depending on if I'm doing long range paper punching or wanting to take game. It takes a bit more work to record your rifle's "dope" with different rounds, but I find it more rewarding.

I hope this helps.

*edit* Millett DOES make some nice scopes. A bit heavy, but very solid.

Edited by Corbin

The Nikon ProStaff with BDC for $180+ or the Bushnell XLT 4-12x40 Trophy DOA 600 (what I have on my Saiga 308).. are about the same $.. (mine I got for $160 and shipping on Ebay).. Model # 73-4120B.

I like the fact with both models.. you just raise the scope to the next + hair..

The Bushnell won me over because the + hairs are marked for a 17" width between the 'tic' marks.. which happen to correspond to the avg Zombie torso and avg deer antlers :angel: ..

post-8775-0-77267200-1291900249_thumb.jpg

Here is the mini-review (on here)

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=59459

There is a list of AMMO for this model.. the 308 ammo (and most other calibers listed) are at 2900+ FPS.. keep that in mind..

Hornady SST 150gr, Hornady TAP, etc...

Al

Edited by YWHIC

The Nikon ProStaff with BDC for $180+ or the Bushnell XLT 4-12x40 Trophy DOA 600 (what I have on my Saiga 308).. are about the same $.. (mine I got for $160 and shipping on Ebay).. Model # 73-4120B.

I like the fact with both models.. you just raise the scope to the next + hair..

The Bushnell won me over because the + hairs are marked for a 17" width between the 'tic' marks.. which happen to correspond to the avg Zombie torso and avg deer antlers :angel: ..

post-8775-0-77267200-1291900249_thumb.jpg

Here is the mini-review (on here)

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=59459

There is a list of AMMO for this model.. the 308 ammo (and most other calibers listed) are at 2900+ FPS.. keep that in mind..

Hornady SST 150gr, Hornady TAP, etc...

Al

How does that affect the target area? Does it clog it up at all?

Corbin, have you put one through any abuse, bad weather hunting and the like?

Not the 1x4 DMS model I just got. I HAVE helped a friend put his 4-16 Millett through some tests, over the last year or so. Never experienced a single issue with it, and we shot it in the high 90s of summer, with high humidity.......as well as in the winter when the temperature was in the teens. Great scope, though a tad heavy.