Tromix charging handle

How exactly is it coming off, even with red Loctite on it?

The screw is backing out, even with the Loctite on it? Or the screw is still Loctited in place, but the whole unit is wiggling off?

I don't know, in my latter case I never found the damned thing to inspect it.

Before that, yeah, blue Loctite didn't hold, the screw loosened, and I was bending the Allen when tightening it down.

The screw is backing out, even with the Loctite on it? Or the screw is still Loctited in place, but the whole unit is wiggling off?

From what I gather, people may not be making sure the set-screw is in the lowest point of the concave area of the front of the charging handle, then if it moves at all & the set screw is at a lower point, there's no pressure on the set screw, so it can work loose & fly off.

Who knows, maybe they're simply pushing it on as far in as it can go & reefing on it, but just a slight movement to the outside will make it loose.

I wonder....

What type of steel is the Tromix bolt on charging handle made out of?

Interesting. I haven't handle one of these things yet, so I was at a loss as to how it was coming loose with red Loctite. I used red Loctite on my DIY, and that sucker ain't moving. (Of course, it's not a moving part like a CH) I tried my damndest to get it off, when I thought I had screwed the PG threads on the DIT, and it didn't budge at all.

I would install it, see that I liked it, then weld it on with a couple of spot welds personally.

If you weld it on, IMO as a welder/fabricator/machinist, tack weld it on using a MIG machine with wire for high carbon steel (not flux core). MIG, at a low setting, will induce less heat into the surrounding material and lessen the chance of weakening it by annealing. I would concentrate most of the tack weld into the new part, barely touching the weld to the factory handle to hold it in place, You don't want to anneal the factory handle or the weight of the new part could snap it off over time, plus, you may want to remove it someday (damaged bolt carriers are hard to replace). This is how I did mine and it held tight,,,,,,until I cut the factory handle off and moved it to the left side.

It sounds like we need to start including installation instructions with the handles.

1. Run the set screw completely through the handle, until it drops out into the center bore. That will ensure that screw is not stopping on any foreign debris left over from sand blasting.

2. Clean and degrease both the threads in the handle and the set screw with contact cleaner and allow to dry completely.

3. Apply red #262 Loctite to BOTH the set screw and the threads in the charging handle.

4. Slide the Tromix handle over the OEM handle and start the set screw. Slowly turn the set screw inward as you wiggle the handle in order to allow the set screw to find the "sweet spot" in the saddle of the OEM handle.

5. Using a large 4.5" long allen wrench, hoss that screw down until you think it's about to break. It won't.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

I think doing #4 is going to fix the issues mine had with wiggling loose. I was definitely jamming it on on there as far as it would go, then tightening.

• 4 months later...

I don't know, in my latter case I never found the damned thing to inspect it.

Before that, yeah, blue Loctite didn't hold, the screw loosened, and I was bending the Allen when tightening it down.

From what I gather, people may not be making sure the set-screw is in the lowest point of the concave area of the front of the charging handle, then if it moves at all & the set screw is at a lower point, there's no pressure on the set screw, so it can work loose & fly off.

Who knows, maybe they're simply pushing it on as far in as it can go & reefing on it, but just a slight movement to the outside will make it loose.

I wonder....

What type of steel is the Tromix bolt on charging handle made out of?

The handle is made of 4140 chromemoly steel. Good, tough alloy.

Interesting. I haven't handle one of these things yet, so I was at a loss as to how it was coming loose with red Loctite. I used red Loctite on my DIY, and that sucker ain't moving. (Of course, it's not a moving part like a CH) I tried my damndest to get it off, when I thought I had screwed the PG threads on the DIT, and it didn't budge at all.