How are you guys cutting the barrel for the lower handguard retainer?

Just to clarify, he is referring to cutting a small notch at the top of the barrel for a retaining bracket to lock into, and NOT in any way shortening the barrel of the rifle.

That said, I prefer to file the notch with a hand file, I have all different sizes and types (you can pick up everything from jeweler's files to giant bastard files at Harbor Freight) and like to do this by hand, as I can make the notch very slowly and neatly, rather than a grinder which can run away and make too large or sloppy of a notch.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, he is referring to cutting a small notch at the top of the barrel for a retaining bracket to lock into, and NOT in any way shortening the barrel of the rifle.

That said, I prefer to file the notch with a hand file, I have all different sizes and types (you can pick up everything from jeweler's files to giant bastard files at Harbor Freight) and like to do this by hand, as I can make the notch very slowly and neatly, rather than a grinder which can run away and make too large or sloppy of a notch.

Thanks Classy! Great timing.....I finished replacing the gas block and fsb today and was wondering how I was going to cut that groove for the retaining lock.

Isherman.....I took pics of the gas block and fsb replacement and will try to get a few posted soon. Of course, Classy has a great thread already in the 5.45 forum

Yep, lol. +1 for Classy.

Read my post about the Brownells retainer piece in the tech section. I am posting it in some other threads that are going about the subject.

If you understand what I am trying to explain in it, you should BARELY cut into the barrel. Don't cut deeper than a 1/16" because it shouldn't be necessary to hack into your barrel just to get a handguard to stay put. Modify the retainer piece's screw/bolt instead if you think your groove isn't deep enough.

Yep, lol. +1 for Classy.

Read my post about the Brownells retainer piece in the tech section. I am posting it in some other threads that are going about the subject.

If you understand what I am trying to explain in it, you should BARELY cut into the barrel. Don't cut deeper than a 1/16" because it shouldn't be necessary to hack into your barrel just to get a handguard to stay put. Modify the retainer piece's screw/bolt instead if you think your groove isn't deep enough.

But if you don't get enough barrel engagement from the bolt, the whole thing may slip towards the muzzle, or is that entirely not likely? I guess I'll figure it out when mine gets here this week.