Kind of regretting my Saiga 12 purchase

I was at a gun show today and I ran across a Saiga 12 and I bought it. I wanted a Saiga for a while but I don't really know too much about them. The one I got has a 19" barrel. The reason I'm regretting my decision is because the factory magazine that came with it doesn't lock in and either does the drum mag I bought for it. It's pretty embarassing when your showing somebody your new gun and the magazine doesn't fit properly. Another thing I don't really like is that it seems like you need to have the reciever open to put a loaded magazine in.

Can somebody help me out before I get too mad?

Can you tell why the Mags arn't locking in?

It is tough to get used to, but you can lock a full mag in place with the bolt close(not sure about the Drum). But the little tab sticking out of the bottom of the reciever to the right, rear of the trigger is a Bolt Hold Open. It makes it MUCH easier to load a full mag. Simply pull the bolt back, push the tab up and let the bolt slide forward till it stops. Lock in your mag and pull the bolt back and release to chamber a round.

Sorry if you already know this, just being thorough, lol.

Lemme guess... AR owner? AR folks just seem to have a major problem with S-12's. I actually had to load my husband's for him at the range the first time out. Yes, it's difficult to load with a full mag on a closed bolt, but far from impossible.

Calm down, take a deep breath and:

Rock and Lock! (Or get a magwell).

Enjoy your new tool!

Do you have any other AK's?

If so, you understand how to insert the magazines. It does take a little technique, and don't be afraid to apply liberal force. Getting to "know" you Saiga will help you appreciate it. Some magazines have a little flashing around the tab the magazine catch clips into. Try inserting the magazine and pull back on the magazine catch to force it into the notch. IF that works, then either do that for a while and it'll smooth out or get after the area on the magazine where the catch engages with an emery board or small file to smooth out the edge.

ARs are finely fitted firearms, AKs are built from used farm equipment and vodka.

C97

I was at a gun show today and I ran across a Saiga 12 and I bought it. I wanted a Saiga for a while but I don't really know too much about them. The one I got has a 19" barrel. The reason I'm regretting my decision is because the factory magazine that came with it doesn't lock in and either does the drum mag I bought for it. It's pretty embarassing when your showing somebody your new gun and the magazine doesn't fit properly. Another thing I don't really like is that it seems like you need to have the reciever open to put a loaded magazine in.

Whoa....Larry!!! Hold on a minute; don't despair. Dude, your issue is easily fixed. The mag release sounds like it simply needs to be slightly dremeled. Just a little off the top, but not too much!!, and your mags will fit perfectly. I've even done mine without taking them out, but i will fish a video up for you to help in case you do take it out. As far as the bolt needing to be ope to load, well that is just the way they will all be until the last round bolt hold open gets perfected. Then, you won't have to hold the bolt open, as the S12 will do it for you. Don't worry, all in good time. I would also like to recommend you get a gas fixers pug so you can tune the gas tube to the type of ammo you like to shoot. If you want to shoot birdshot nd have the bolt cycle there are options. Either shoot around 200 rounds of high brass until your gun gets good and broken in or get a spring kit that will make it work even faster. Here are a few links to help you out:

(this vid shows the installation of an extended mag release. It is quite intuitive and will help you see how the install/remove process fgoes to fix your mag release. Remember, you will have to take just a smidge off the top, not too much! If you have an MD Arms drum, you will need to modify it. Here is the vid for that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-psKPb_sTI

Get a gas fixers plug!!!

Here is the low brass kit that comes with a gas fixers plug in it already. I would only get this if you want to exclusively fire low brass (birdshot. Otherwise, just shoot about 200 rounds of high brass and break the gun in and then get a gas fixers plug to tune the gun to either low or high brass http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-611/SAIGA-12-RELIABILITY-PARTS/Detail?sfs=923fda5d

The drum mags need to be filed to fit most of the time. If it is an MD mag, they are made specifically to be filed to fit perfectly in each gun. Since not every Saiga is exactly the same, fitting the drum yourself gives you a much tighter fit than some generic design. MD arms has a how to page to fit the drum

. Edited by ZombiePocalypse

Thanks for the help everybody. I own ARs and AKs. It seems like the problem is that the mag release isn't going over the edge of the magazine. The drum mag is ProMag. What should I use to file down the mags?

There are instructions with the Promag drum on where to file and what type of file to use.

Don't get discouraged dude....these guns are a "project" as I see them. And that is what makes them badass. Because you can make them into what I think is the most devistating small arm next to the AA12 (which i think is a heaping POS). Just browse the forum and pick everyone's brain here and you'll be fine

J

Thanks for the help everybody. I own ARs and AKs. It seems like the problem is that the mag release isn't going over the edge of the magazine. The drum mag is ProMag. What should I use to file down the mags?

Make sure the pin hasn't started to walk out on the mag release or it'll cause the release lever to tilt slightly and it won't even be very noticable but just enough to keep the mag from locking in. Check that before removing any material from the mag.

i use some harsh sandpaper to file it down a little at a time. Then try to fit it. If it deoesnt fit file down some more. I had to file down 2 mags and both took 2 min each to file down. No time at all. If you get it real close use a rubber mallet to tap it in. Dont force it. Once its in you're gtg

At the risk of pointing out the obvious......these videos might help a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k6hgZlHfo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gntnx9Plkm8

Welcome to the addiction. Plenty of people join the forum, because they're unhappy with their S12 purchase, only to find out their complaint is something that's easily fixable. Hopefully that's the case for you. :beer:

The five round mags for the S12 are usually fitted by hand at the factory and as such have a partial matching serial number penciled onto the magazine. Check yours. Depending where you got your gun they may not know (or care) if they gave you the mag that came from the factory with that particular S12.

Hello

I have a buddy who bought a new S12 that would not accept any magazine except the factory five that came with it. Would not take any other factory five or eight rounder, nor any after market mag's (at least none I had, I have a pretty good sampling).

Appeared the factory left his mag catch a bit long, and rather than fix the catch, they simply mod'ed his mag to fit.

Only problem was if he fixed the catch, his original factory mag may not have worked any more.

Could be the same sort of issue with your gun. May want to reconsider mod'ing the mag's, you may have to modify any mag you use in it if the catch is too long.

JMHO...

-guido

cadiz gun works in ohio free warrenty work and free shipping you will want them to go through it anyway it wont shoot bird shot till u get it back

I would be cautious about grinding on the mag latch right to start with... although, now you can buy a replacement if you file it too much. It is a pain in the ass.. but it only takes a few minutes to install one. But I can promise you that what's going on isn't a serious issue. And like FUMES said, make sure the mag catch pin hasn't walked out before you file anything.

With what you have right now, it's a little hard for you to establish whether or not your catch is too long or if it's a mag issue.

If you can get your hands on an AGP 10 rounder.. those seem to have more play than any other mag. If one of those won't fit, then it's your catch. Otherwise you just need to do some fitting on your mags.

The best advice I can give you is to read up on the S-12 forums for a while.. and eventually you will gain a wealth of knowledge about your gun and you can turn it into something that you can be damn proud to show off.

Also.. don't be afraid to use the search feature to find stuff.. it works sometimes. But you will probably have better luck using google to find what you're after on this forum. Just make sure you include the word "saiga" or "saiga 12" somewhere, and most of your results should turn up from here.

For now.. if you can at least get your factory mag latching correctly, you can start testing out your gun and seeing how she cycles. Then you can check your gas ports and see what you're working with. Hopefully you got yourself a good pick.

But don't try to do anything crazy to it until you make sure it cycles correctly. In case you need to send it off for warranty work.

Edited by danklab

The factory mag has the same number on it as the gun and it still doesn't fit.

Here is the procedure that the Russians use to fit the mags, Mike-D does it the exact way that the Russians do. (he's seen their processes);

But don't get your hopes up.

You may end up with a vodka special still, depending on your ports & other things.

But you must understand.

The guns that are tuned to perfection to run anything you put in them flawlessly run upward of $1000.00.

A factory gun sold to us by our enemy only gets your foot in the door.

Keep reading the forum & asking questions as issues arise & we'll help you get your gun running with top-notch reliability.

Bear with it & you'll have the hardest core, most practical combat 12 gauge out there.

It just may take a little tinkering.

Welcome to the forum & the passion! :up:

BTW;

You ARE making sure that the front lip of the mag is inserted in the gun & then you rock the rear of the mag in right?

(Yeah, I'm sure you are, but we've had others in the past that didn't & posted here, perplexed as to why the mag wouldn't go in... Shit happens.)

Edited by Paulyski

Hey Larry,

Welcome!

First, be sure and try loading on an open chamber. Then, definitely go watch videos on fitting mags and then check why your gun isn't locking.

If you post where exactly you're having the problem (or a better description of the issue) you'll get the help you need right here.

Ignore the drum for now, though. They almost always need tweaking, so it's not a "fair" test.

And don't worry. You may have some hassles out the door, but after your first couple of mag dumps you'll forget all about 'em. :)

Hi Larry and welcome. I was in the same boat as you. I had zero knowhow on the S12 until registering here and talking to all the good folks who helped me out. Do not dispair. You have a great shotgun and one that will (in time) put a big smile on your face every time you hold it. Lots of great advice given so far. I would not be able to add to it accept to say listen to these guys. They are speaking much truth and will guide you to working out all the kinks. You are in good hands. :super:

I allipied some pressure and the factory magazine fits now. I'm about to try to file the drum mag down some. What should I use?

Did you check the mag release pin? I could get some of my mags to lock in when my pin walked out and some would not lock in, making me think it was the mags. Do check the pin before removing any material from the mag body.:unsure:

I allipied some pressure and the factory magazine fits now. I'm about to try to file the drum mag down some. What should I use?

When I fit my mag and drums, I used the sharp edge of my Kabar. Literally, four or five passes, barely a hair shaved off, and it fit exactly as it was meant to.