Whats in your siaga magazine?

Buck or slugs  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What type of shotgun ammo do you keep loaded in your saiga?

• Buckshot only
    • Slugs only
    • Slug on top everything else is buckshot
    • Alternating slug and buck
    • Some sort of specialty rounds

Right now I keep Federal #1 Buckshot loaded in my factory five-rounder and my MD-20. I had a third mag, a Surefire 13 rounder (12 round mag but it was part of the early batch that could hold 13) but the front lip broke off the other day...

I also keep the MD-20 in the gun. I use my safety lever as a bolt-hold-open so I've got the bolt locked back, V-plug set, and the safety engaged. If a situation ever happens, God forbid, all I have to do is lower the safety lever, hit the button on the light, and aim.

I doubt there would be 20 of them, but if there were, or more, I firmly believe that with the wife backing me up with the Mossberg 8 shot, the situation would be a win for us... :angel:

Edited by Caged
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a californian legal version of the Saiga, it only shoots nerf darts and the mag is fixed

What's a siaga?

Funny I was just debating if The federal flight control vital shok, or the FC tactical preformed any better or worse than the hornady tap. Do you know how they compare in terms of grouping, and which

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

5 round factory mag with Rem Slugs in the gun, bolt closed, safety off, chamber empty. 5 round Buckshot, 5 round #4 turkey loads in factory mags nearby. Dogs will give warning of intruders (all sizes and shapes) so prep-time is a bit longer (probably).

357 snubby in bedframe mounted holster within reach of horizontal me. That's the quick-reaction item. The Saiga goes with me when I get up to check out the noises outside.

Edited by Mayor Al

(2) #4 followed by

(2) #1 followed by

(1) 00

I agree with the progressive force ideology... mostly because I live in a dense urban environment and need to minimize the possibility of harming innocent by-standers. My S-12 is still at my FFL (awaiting other firearms to arrive to save $$ on fees) but, once it's here, it'll have 3x #4 buck followed by 3x 000 buck followed by 6x 1.25oz slugs... in a 12rnd drum. Yes... I'll be practicing a LOT to become accustomed to the S-12 and become more proficient at aiming.

Edited by Mike1234567

initially, i was keeping 2 3/4 inch 00 buckshot in my mags, but i heard that plastic shotshells can deform if you leave them in a mag like that, especially for long periods of time, so i decided to switch to 2 3/4 slugs. i figure that big ball of lead will help the round keep its shape better

initially, i was keeping 2 3/4 inch 00 buckshot in my mags, but i heard that plastic shotshells can deform if you leave them in a mag like that, especially for long periods of time, so i decided to switch to 2 3/4 slugs. i figure that big ball of lead will help the round keep its shape better

Nope....

Just leave the bolt locked open.

Nope....

isnt there potential to damage the internal spring on the action of the saiga if you leave the bolt locked back? if you leave something under stress for long periods of time creep starts to take effect.

besides, that will relieve some of the stress on the rounds, but not all of it

Depends on the mag, I think.

that makes the most sense to me. it all depends on the strength of the spring in the magazine. i know that if you subject anything to stress for excessive lengths of time, the material will start to deform. i found a formal description of this effect

In materials science, creep is the tendency of a solid material to slowly move or deform permanently under the influence of stresses. It occurs as a result of long term exposure to high levels of stress that are below the yield strength of the material. Creep is more severe in materials that are subjected to heat for long periods, and near melting point. Creep always increases with temperature.

i dont like the idea of potentially having deformed rounds in a firearm which i may have to rely on to defend myself and the people i care about. i suppose i could just go with my AK47 with russian steel case rounds. those rounds are much less likely to deform

isnt there potential to damage the internal spring on the action of the saiga if you leave the bolt locked back? if you leave something under stress for long periods of time creep starts to take effect.

When my guns aren't being fired, the bolt is locked back if the gun is able to do so. I've had guns sit for several YEARS this way, and never had an issue with the spring. Springs don't wear out from compression, they wear out from cycling.

The stress on the rounds from the feed lips and the magazine spring isn't that big of a deal because it is very well distributed over a large area of the shells.

With the bolt forward, a very small area of the plastic rim of the shell is pressed against the bolt. That area of the plastic shell tends to deform; it is also this area of the bolt that makes loading a mag on a closed bolt difficult.

Keep the bolt locked back, and it all goes away.

i locked open the action of my saiga, and you're right, the magazine really forces the top round into the bolt, which was more than enough to deform the slug i had in my mag. im kinda disappointed because i dont like the idea of leaving the action locked open. i suppose il just keep my mags loaded, but not in my saiga.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in California, but have recently come to terms with the fact that if I shoot anyone breaking into my house I will probably be prosecuted. Something worth doing is worth doing right, that is why I use Hornady TAP. I have some low-recoil Federal 00 and Remington 8 and 9 pellet 00 as well left over from my 'is my Saiga going to cycle this stuff' phase. So far my Saiga 12 has fired everything effectively from Federal #7 1/2 Target loads to 3" Remington 15 pellet , Hornady is still king in my opinion though.

Nope....

No, the physical properties of our universe do not allow it.

Springs lose their power due to cycling, overstretching, or overcompressing, not from being left compressed. Technically all springs in all firearms are compressed at all times to a certain extent.

You may store your gun however you wish but you won't damage it no matter how you do for two reasons:

1.) Springs don't work that way.

2.) It's freakin' Russian...

Edited by Caged
  • Like 1

I like the Centurion Buck & Ball shells(one .650" (65 cal.) round ball and six #1 buckshot pellets). Nice, even spread at 7 yards. Took a shot at a Defender target's gut area and the lead spread across the abdominal area in almost a solid line. Even the plastic wadding got in on the action.

On a slightly off topic note, the same ammo in my Stoeger 18" Coachgun, at the same distance, deposited the same amount of lead within a half-dollar-sized area. Fun stuff.

Edited by Photoguy