My New Saiga 308

Well, I finally got my 308 finished and got a little range time in on it. A bit of a description, new model .308 with 18" barrel, Tapco saiga intrafuse tri-rail foregrip in OD, Tapco T-6 in OD, Hogue pistol grip in OD, quick release scope mount with SightMark red-dot. 25rd promags. Took about 15rds to get on paper, and another 20 to get it dialed in right, but now I'm consistantly hitting 3" groups at 50 yards with the Red-Dot. It's a hoot to shoot, but damn is it a punishing weapon. It left my shoulder in a world of hurt. Wondering if anyone else finds them this punishing and if there is anything I can do to reduce the shockwaves that seem to flow directly from the weapon into my shoulder?

There are shoulder pads that you wear, walmart carries them as should any store that sells firearms. It mostly makes it more comfortable to jam the stock into your shoulder tightly, if there is any gap the rifle hits you like a hammer, if you hold on tight you just roll with it.

I'd also take a look at how your holding the rifle, with the red dot you may have a tendency to have the stock low on your shoulder. The T-6 stock can be a bruiser if its not sitting in the pocket of your shoulder.

My Saiga .308 has the steel Romanian folding stock, absolutely no padding there, and I am but 150 lbs. I think you may not be holding the rifle in tight enough to your shoulder. That is key! Pull it back into your shoulder real tight and you should be able to shoot all day long. I see a lot of people who "Think" they are holding tight, but watching them shoot I can see the rifle moving around. It should "push" you not Hit you.

I personally have never really had recoil issues with any rifles I have shot. Not because I am some sort of "Manly-Man" (although I am) but by holding the rifle correctly.

Sometimes shooting from the bench, on a bag, makes it difficult to pull the rifle back as tight as you should.

• 4 weeks later...

My Saiga .308 has the steel Romanian folding stock, absolutely no padding there, and I am but 150 lbs. I think you may not be holding the rifle in tight enough to your shoulder. That is key! Pull it back into your shoulder real tight and you should be able to shoot all day long. I see a lot of people who "Think" they are holding tight, but watching them shoot I can see the rifle moving around. It should "push" you not Hit you.

I personally have never really had recoil issues with any rifles I have shot. Not because I am some sort of "Manly-Man" (although I am) but by holding the rifle correctly.

Sometimes shooting from the bench, on a bag, makes it difficult to pull the rifle back as tight as you should.

Yah, if you snug the buttstock in good & tight to your shoulder, recoil is not bad @ all.