Possible Safety Concern

OK!! Did my conversion last week, used a typical modified (not by me) trigger group. Did the conversion step by step, everything works great! Found out that Saftey overtravels too far.....I searched and found this was a common issue so no worries on that.

But, before I found this was common issue I was trying to figure if I had done something wrong, so I took off the dust cover to see how everything was moving as I pulled the lever up and down.

Of course, my gun was unloaded and no mag inserted, but as I was pulling the safety up it tripped the trigger causing the hammer to hit the firing pin. You have to pull the safety lever up pretty far for this to happen, I put the dust cover back on and couldn't get it to do it again, so I guess the dust cover stops the safety far enough below this point.

Is this supposed to happen, like I said, it's only an issue when the dust cover is off so unless the dust cover fails to stop the safety.......

I installed the trigger group spot on to the instructions, even watched CSS's you tube so I don't think i have anything mis-aligned, or at least I don't think so.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks - Andy

Edited by JDeere7296

I tried couldnt get it to happen who's trigger are you using?

A tromix modified tapco from CSS....

I doubt it's a problem with the trigger group itself, I'm not sure. The bottom edge of the safety (the part that CSS states may have to be filed on, which I didn't have to by the way) as it rotates hits the hammer and causes it to mover forward....it's like the safety is too close to the trigger group. I don't see how this is possible though, there is only one way that the group and safety can be installed since the axis pin holes don't allow for any movement forward or backward.

OK found a pic to better explain.......this is NOT my pic, just one I found since I don't have access to my gun right now.

The red part (bottom edge) of safety is hitting the trigger at the (blue) point which is causing it to release the hammer. It's causing the trigger itself to move backward as if it was being pulled normally.

post-15682-0-92033700-1292265512_thumb.jpg

Yes and if you move the safety far enough but just before hitting the trigger you'll still be able to pull the trigger and the hammer will fall. The safety will not go that far if the dust cover is in place unless I suppose you pry on it to go over the cover.

Looks like it just catches the disconnector and that that is pulling up on your assembly causing the hook to release the hammer. If it only happens when you rotate it all the way up as if to remove it.. I don't think you have an issue here.

Can't remember if my factory setup did it or not.. but I replaced my safety lever with the Krebs custom.

Yes and if you move the safety far enough but just before hitting the trigger you'll still be able to pull the trigger and the hammer will fall. The safety will not go that far if the dust cover is in place unless I suppose you pry on it to go over the cover.

So this happens because of the design of the FCG and the dust cover is what prevents this in normal operation?

You can add a peg to the trigger leg to keep the safety from any over travel. But if you plan on running your gun w/ out the cover and relying on the safety for absolute prevention of a discharge then maybe..... I dunno call kalashnikov and let him know about it, I think he's still kickin aint he?:lolol:

Looks like it just catches the disconnector and that that is pulling up on your assembly causing the hook to release the hammer. If it only happens when you rotate it all the way up as if to remove it.. I don't think you have an issue here.

Can't remember if my factory setup did it or not.. but I replaced my safety lever with the Krebs custom.

Yeah, after looking at it, I think this is what is happening......

You can add a peg to the trigger leg to keep the safety from any over travel. But if you plan on running your gun w/ out the cover and relying on the safety for absolute prevention of a discharge then maybe..... I dunno call kalashnikov and let him know about it, I think he's still kickin aint he?:lolol:

I think I'll have to do some sort of stop on it, I can push the lever up pretty far......it would be my luck I'd trip and fall and blow my leg off or something!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Andy

With the Tapco G2 trigger group, nearly all AK's do this, and my S12 did at first too. I always cut out the area of the selector that contacts the disco. It's a pretty unlikely chance that you'd ever have a ND this way, but it is a possibility. That's enough for me to want to fix it.

You can't take back a fired shell...

If you were running a double hook, that likely wouldn't happen, unless you pulled the trigger with it like that.

On mine, the bho side hook would hold the hammer just a touch longer than the left side hook, stopping this.

But best just not to take the dust cover off & screw around, because your results may be different. All the holes can very in location slightly on these guns.

ETA;

I think I'll have to do some sort of stop on it, I can push the lever up pretty far......it would be my luck I'd trip and fall and blow my leg off or something!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Andy

Keep in mind that whether you try a post, or weld a mound of steel on the trigger leg then shape it with a dremel cutoff disk, you only have a tiny spot to work with to stop the safety in the right place & still let the mainspring move (slide) up the trigger leg as you pull the trigger, so test as you shape, or be damn sure you're drilling that hole for the small roll pin in the perfect location.

Edited by Paulyski