thing in the top of the gas block?

This may be a silly question, but i took out my adjustable gas plug this evening and was looking around inside the gas block after taking my puck out and i noticed a couple areas of buildup so i just picked them away with a pocket knife, then i saw like a circular area at the very top of the gas block directly over the gas ports, looked to be right under the front sight. Inside was a circular looking object that filled it in flush with the top of the gas block, i picked at it with my knife and it came out, looking like a nipple i guess is the best way to describe it. Its black and seems to have a plastic consistency. Is this thing important or is it just build up of plastic from shooting in the past? Thanks, I hope I was able to explain it good.

Yeah, that one was from my Saiga when it was in its original configuration last year. This evening I just now got it all back together basically with the adding of an Ace stock and folding mechanism, minus a few extras before I deem it complete. But it is in shoot-able condition now. I am excited to test it out. I know how you feel about having it as a box-o-parts, Mine has been like that for a good part of this year until now.

Yeah, that one was from my Saiga when it was in its original configuration last year. This evening I just now got it all back together basically with the adding of an Ace stock and folding mechanism, minus a few extras before I deem it complete. But it is in shoot-able condition now. I am excited to test it out. I know how you feel about having it as a box-o-parts, Mine has been like that for a good part of this year until now.

Well.... go get enough 'fix' for the both of us. Here at the Christmas holidays, I don't expect to see my S12 until next year. Tac47 may knock it out and get it back quickly though. That would be a nice surprise.

Hasn't there been folks that modded the vodka specials by drilling a hole in the GB over the ports, then (without removing GB) opening the ports and adding an allen screw into the hole (which they also threaded)? I'm wondering if that might have left a space for the gunk to build up into.

Hasn't there been folks that modded the vodka specials by drilling a hole in the GB over the ports, then (without removing GB) opening the ports and adding an allen screw into the hole (which they also threaded)? I'm wondering if that might have left a space for the gunk to build up into.

I remember a guy who mentioned he was thinking about doing that & Cobra mentioned he had thought of doing it too to adjust the ports & have access to re-adjust if needed, but I'm unaware if anybody actually did do it.

I never saw anyone say they actually did.

If I remember correctly this idea was mentioned in a thread close to a year ago where some genius was enlightening all of us to how he enlarged his ports by drilling them from the front of the open gas block. :ded: