:super: Hi All,I was reading about your C&R rifle interest and figured I should post a couple pics of my old rifles. The 1st one is my Czech VZ24 Mauser with a neat stock that has some tiger striping and a WW1 20 round trench mag attached-you should see some of the looks at the range! The second is my Russian M47 rifle with a spike bayonet-this thing cost me $80 at the time and was NEW! I can hit a 1 foot square plate better than 90% at 200 yards benched or offhand with the sights set as they were when bought,if I miss it is my fault. The steel butt plates are not comfortable fo shooting from the bench unless you have a high bench. The vz24 shoots just as well and seems to kick less. The M47 throws out a flame and BIG muzzle blast even in the day-want a flame-shoot it at night! Final thing-both are well made but the Mauser definitely has it in the quality dept. Please have a peek at the pics - :osama::killer::smoke:

post-21-1076604168.jpg

Edited by thousand son

I love the looks of that Czech, what a beauty stock!I just got my Russian capture K98 yesterday.The stock looks like it spent some hard time on the eastern front, but the bore & blueing are perfect.I'll get some pics the next time I borrow a digital camera.

How do you like that Mosin?I can't decide to get the M91/36 or the M44.

:super: Hey guys, I really like both rifles.The VZ24 was picked over another rifle due to the wood alone,the other rifle wwas also a mauser that was more original-this one has been refinished at some time and almost seems like it was a ceremonial rifle at one time,it also had the crest ground off the top of the receiver-but I WANTED THAT WOOD!!,I later saw a longer rifle-a YUGO I think- and it had the same wood!,I went back in the afternoon and it was sold-DAMMIT!! I am still after a good ORIGINAL 98K for my collection,along with a G43 semi auto($$$ those are getting!). Regarding the Moisin,I like the shorter rifles like the M44,M47,I think there is a M38 carbine also. The Polish M44 Carbines were really nice but were pricey at the time. I will agree with kysoldier(?) about the Finnish models of the Moisin-the M39 I believe,I would get one of those if you want a full size rifle,they just look good,shoot better and the wood is an ash(?) that can look somewhat 'scorched' but is neat. I do not think you can go wrong,just depends on preference-I will say I 'feel safer' with that spike bayonet out if I am hunting boar in the bush!? :eek: I also have an Austrian Steyr Mannlicher M95 that is a 'straight pull' bolt, uses an odd 8x56R ammo that seems to kick like a bitch! Gave me the WORST bruise I have EVER had from anything! Neatest part- the ammo has '1938' and the NAZI Eagle w/swastika on the headstamp of the round-collectors item in itself! Whatever you get,make sure you clean it well and KEEP checking the barrel for rust for a week-some corrosive surplus ammo is nasty to get out-I sometimes have to clean the barrels 2-3x and pour boiling water down the barrel then oil it up. Til later all! :super::lolol::smoke:
:eek: I just saw one on gunbroker.com- it is supposed to be an authentic 'bring back' from a vet's estate-it is a sniper-DDRROOLLL!!! in exc. cond all matching! The price was at $2900- if you want one in decent shape expect to pay AT LEAST $1000. I had one and sold it because the #s did not match and it needed a couple small minor parts-STUPID ME!!!!!! I will find one eventually-just need to time the whole have money/one is available thing-better luck on finding Jimmy Hoffa at this point! They are crudely made in some respects but it is a must have. I think it has 2 days left on the auction-punch in g43 or g-43 and it should come up. SEE YA!
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I was having a difficult time deciding on getting a M91/30 or a M44.So I figured, hell they're cheap, so I ordered both.I ordered them from Cole's distributing, that's where I got my K98 Mauser.They seem to deliver exactly what they advertise.They emailed me a complete listing of all the K98 with detailed descriptions of each rifle before I ordered my Mauser.Very nice folks to deal with.I'll let you know what my Mosin Nagants are like when I get them later this week.

I got my Russians yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased with what I got.I got a 1945 M44 that's in excellent condition with all #s matching except the butplate.I also got a 1940 M91/30 that I'm REALLY impressed with.ALL the #s match, including the bayonet.The overall condition is better than excellent, with a really shiny bore and the action is buttery smooth(I was not expecting that).I'm still cleaning up the M44, so I really can't tell how nice it is yet.I got some major cosmoline removal to do before I can tell how good the metal and bore look.

Does anyone know the best way to remove the cosmoline from the stock without harming the finish?I usually use easy off oven cleaner because it takes all the finish off too, but these are so nice I won't have to refinish the wood.I'm really happy with both of these rifles.For the price, I didn't expect them to be soooo nice!

:super: Hey Steve,just keeeeep wiping with old rags,you may want to try a mix of dish soap and hot water-dish soap cuts grease and should help it comme off or better yet try spraying wd-40 on the stock or rag and wipe. You COULD try a LITTLE gasoline on a rag,but test in a small area first!!!! it is frustrating.You will also notice that after you shoot it and if hot,it will constantly 'sweat' the stuff out-unless you dismantle it. You could also let it sit in the sun and then wipe it every so often. i have used wd40 on myy wood and the varnish did not seem to be affected and it will help to get the cosmoline off---GOOD LUCK and get some pics!!!!

Thanks for the input.I've got it pretty well cleaned up now.I used really HOT soapy water and scrubbed it down with a cloth.Then I put the wood on a heater to dry the water out and sweat out some more of the cosmoline.I got most all of it off, it's just a little tacky now.I think once spring gets here, I'll set it out in the sun on a warm day to try to sweat the rest out.The metal and bore on the M44 is as nice as the M91/30.I'm very pleased and can't wait to shoot them.I rent from people that have a 300 acre farm, so I'm going to make a shooting range somewhere on the hill this summer.I'm curious to see how far these will shoot acurately with the ol' iron sights.I got 100 rounds of new production Yugoslavian 180 gr. softpiont ammo.it's called prvi partizan.Has anyone used this ammo before, is it any good?I need to find a source for good inexpensive ammo.I'd like to get a few hundred rounds to keep on hand.Any ideas?

:smoke: Hi Steve, for ammo the best place to look is the Shotgun News. I personally have bought 8mm and 7.62x54r from FAC in minnesota(?),J&G imports in Arizona,1-928-445-9650 had 148gr in 'sardine cans' for $39-340 rds/$62-680 rds,and Classic Arms-1-704-684-0650, had 180gr silver tip 'match' for $80 for 780 rds.

Hope this helps you out bud! On accuracy-DO NOT touch the sights the first time out,just put a 1foot square target or plate at 100 yds and aim dead center and fire 5 rds,you may be surprised how close they can be out of the box.I can hit a 1foot square steel plate at 200 yds better than 90% of the time,the times I miss are my fault,good enough for now. I should try to get it dead nuts sometime and then try some -huh,huh- 1000yd shots with the iron sights-hey they are marked,why not?

Talk to you later!