New member, new 308!!

I picked up my first Saiga yesterday in 308, I'd been eying this gun for a couple months now. Well I got a good price on it so I bought it and it feels sweet but have yet to shoot it.. I've been lurking and reading here for the past day and I see where everyone loves their saiga's but more so after they are converted. What converting is needed and I'd also like to to replace the butt and possibly the complete stock. Anyone point me to some good choices for new furniture for this baby??

Thanks for any and all help offered!!

I live in CT, the assault weapon laws are ridiculous. Besides the long list of banned weapons (which includes the AK-47)the other rule is you cannot have any more then two of these features: detachable magazine, pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock, bayonet lug, threaded barrel, flash suppressor. The pistol grip and detachable magazine puts you right at your limit with the conversion.

Edited by nattyiceking

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking I Just want to have a pistol grip style stock and non folding.

The Video was very helpful but more than I'm willing to do to new never been shot rifle. I've got a couple 25 round mags already and a pistol grip style stock that is non folding would be nice. Even my wife said the gun "sounded" cheap with the original stock and sling mounts rattling around..

I'm in Northern Central CT, South Windsor...

Edited by DaveinCT

I say give it a shot man. At first glance I was like hell no I cant do that shit, but after alot of research on the conversion it looks hella easy. My Saiga 5.45 is in the mail as we speak and I will do the conversion the day I get it.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-CONVERSION-KITS-cln-SAIGA-RIFLES/Categories has everything you need.

I'm buying the basic kit for the trigger/trigger guard and a timbersmith stock set. You need to buy a gas tube and lower retainer for the handguards to fit.

I'm in east hartford..

Do break in the rifle first in case of very unlikely problems(warranty) and to become at ease with the rifle. Few hundred rounds are plenty I like wolf as break in ammo.

If you have a dremel conversion is so much easier drill press is nice not required. Its not near as bad as you may think and Dinzag parts have been super reliable. Some have to put a dab of solder or even JB on the end of the safety(documented here and at dinzag) every one has their own preferences. Move to NH.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed on the video which is a 7.62x39mm, there are 2 rivets holding the trigger in place. My 308 has no rivets for the trigger. Anyone that's converted a 308 help me out here.

Right the 308 trigger is very long, and hinges on the axis pin, which is why it has the funky upward pull, conversion is the same, except you don't have to mess with the 2 extra rivets, and the hammer in the standard G2 group has to be clearenced for the crossbar, also, side to side movement of the FCG has been a problem for some people, you can address these to issues yourself, or business member Dinzag sells a G2 specifically modified for the Saiga 308.

It's basic, but basic is a good place to start. Nice work!

Is that a Tapco stock?

Thank you.

Ya, that is the Tapco butt, my foregrip was back ordered..The butt shorten the gun a good bit and must say the 308 barrel is a heavy son of a bitch!!!

Edited by DaveinCT
  • 1 month later...

Got out to shoot this bad boy for the first time since I bought it and converted it. It was dead nuts at 200 yards straight off!!

My Gun clubs 200 yard range has a 12"x12" metal gong out on the berm. I hit that thing 8 of 10 shots with little effort. My buddies, one of them works the shop I bought the gun from, where completely impressed. They all gave her a run and loved it, one of them whom is an Iraq war vet wants to buy it.