Like many before me

as i am a proud owner of 2 saigas, 16in x39 and a 16in 308, they sit at home bone stock waiting to be loved once again. as i am currently deployed to the middle east and will be coming home for leave in January i am drawn to the fact that it is time to turn these so called "ugly ducklings" into beautiful works of art... also with a possible 3rd child, a s12 in consideration, i would like to convert the two i have when i am home on leave. i would like for my x39 to use cheap surplus magazines. i dont really want a fancy break my bank conversions (although they look sexy) i am just looking to do a basic middle class conversion... any and all help will be greatly appreciated. i.e. list of places that have parts, if not complete kits, any 2nd hand parts that have been gently used... or rather just not on the brink of death.

Hey Gopher,

For the "Basic" conversion you need the following parts:

1 x FCG (TAPCO Single-hook) (3 parts - hammer, trigger and disconnecter)

1 x PG w/ screw and nut (some come w/ a screw - none come with the nut)

1 x Stock

These 5 US parts will get you the most basic conversion. To use Mil Surp Magazines, you will need a bullet guide for the x39. The .308 has no such military-issue magazine, so no bullet guide. Also you will need to file (ever-so-slightly) the magazine catch on the x39. Test the fit frequently and stop when the magazine rocks in and locks easily w/o slop - remember, once you take the metal off you can't easily get it back on... Carolina Shooter Supply (CSS here on the forum) has kits, many places have the parts. Keep your shipping cost in mind when ordering from multiple places as it can really drive the cost up.

Hope this helps,

JG

• Like 1

thanks, that did help me alot, but when looking at CSS i found two different kits that seemed to be the same thing but one had this

"The Carolina Trigger Guard that comes with this kit has a grip nut built in.

This allows for an easy for conversion for all rifles that do not have a grip nut hole in the receiver

The 308 rifle must have a new 3/16" hole drilled for the mounting hardware"

how would i go about checking to see if i need this or not.

as for the 308, where does the hole need to be drilled?

also do i need to get new pins to hold the trigger in?

Edited by Gopher

what do i need to get in order to have this style handguard:

http://store.carolin...11DARKEARTH.jpg

For the 7.62 you will need a new gas tube and lower retainer.

CSS has them both.

http://store.carolin...nd-guard/Detail

http://store.carolin...gas-tube/Detail

Edited by geo

i was looking around on CSS.com and found the Tapco AK T6 folding stock

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-451/SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail?sfs=5e9c9b2e

and was wondering how it feels/handles with the x39 compared to the Tapco AK Original Stock

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-449/TAPCO-SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION/Detail?sfs=5e9c9b2e

(man i feel like a nag with all of these questions :( )

If you're gonna go with an original type stock, i would suggest a KVAR. I've had both the Tapco and KVAR (current on all 3 of mine). The KVAR stocks are built so much better then the Tapco stocks, in every regards except weight, the Tapco is lighter. Plus the KVAR has the storage cavity built in. The difference in length is just over an inch with the KVAR being the longer NATO length.

It may cost a few bucks more but the quality is worth the little extra.

As far as the folding stocks go, i have no personal experience using them (they dont really appeal to me). But i have read many times over on here, of 'getting what you payed for' when it comes to the folding mechanism itself. Longevity and durability will be compromised with a cheap folding mechanism.

Trust me on this one: You do NOT want that Tapco folder. It wiggles, alot. It's essentially junk. If you must have a folder, you're going to pay for it. If you're going for the "look", try an internal block and a fixed skeleton.

Good luck!

ok thanks for the heads up, although, the one problem i am facing is not really a problem, its more of a preference, i want the skeleton stock in tan (dark earth) and the kvar stock in OD green... what would be the best whay to paint them?

I'm pretty sure Kvar makes an OD stock in both NATO and Warsaw lengths. That would eliminate the annoying possibility of scratching through the paint an exposing the substrate color. Still, I used Krylon Fusion on my stock (I hadn't known I wanted an OD stock when I bought it).

I don't know much about painting aluminum. I've heard Aluma Hyde II is meant for it, but take that for what it's worth.

"... possibility of scratching through the paint an exposing the substrate color." i woundn't mind that, it would just add character :P

thanks again for all the help, will post pictures when i get home and start...

Trust me on this one: You do NOT want that Tapco folder. It wiggles, alot. It's essentially junk. If you must have a folder, you're going to pay for it. If you're going for the "look", try an internal block and a fixed skeleton.

Good luck!

Last Tapco folder that I tried out was on a rifle at the local gun shop.

I went to open the folder, and it snapped right off. I still want a folder, preferably the folder off of the Arsenal rifles, but those seem to be made out of gold...

I may just get a Romanian side folder stock and call it good.