Vepr-308 Before and After

BEFORE:

Vepr4.jpg

Vepr-308,converted by Krebs Custom to take unmodified M14 magazines.Fixed stock/pistol grip,20.5" non-threaded barrel.

AFTER:

IMG00043-20101218-2122.jpg

Vepr-308,converted by Krebs Custom to take unmodified M14 magazines.Ace LTD Vepr stock adapter,ACE folding stock mechanism,ACE skeleton stock with .5 inch extension.Tapco SAW grip,Ultimak upper gast tube,Ultimak lower tri rail,Magpul angled Vertical grip,Magpul Rail covers. Barrel cut down by Elk River Tool and Die,to 13.25 and crowned.FSB moved back to GB,and YHM threaded flash suppressor permanently attached to make overall length 16.5.

I should have this back in my hands next week.The next step is to get my optic and mount.

Edited by TEXASAK73
  • Like 5

Very nice, or better, sweet..... Did they have to alter the front tri-rail and gas tube? Where can I get those parts? Thanks for sharing....

No mods needed to the Ultimak rail.Buy the one for the Vepr and use the original screw that you would for the Vepr plastic hand guard.Simple drop in part.

http://www.ultimak.com/M3-b.htm for the upper.

http://www.ultimak.com/ACR2.htm Standard lower

http://www.ultimak.com/ACR2Long.htm Long lower

Edited by TEXASAK73

Is the mag conversion recent, Or was that from back when they where being imported?

I'll bet that sucker will be loud. I'd love to see a picture of the muzzle flash, I want to replace my muzzle brake.

PS. If anyone has a plain jane vepr 308 and wants mags semi cheap, I'll have the new run shipping mid January. The full run of sizes and plenty to go around.

• Like 1

Is the mag conversion recent, Or was that from back when they where being imported?

I'll bet that sucker will be loud. I'd love to see a picture of the muzzle flash, I want to replace my muzzle brake.

PS. If anyone has a plain jane vepr 308 and wants mags semi cheap, I'll have the new run shipping mid January. The full run of sizes and plenty to go around.

This one was one of the last conversion that Mark Krebs did before he went mass commercial.This one is a Robarm imports.

Whats going on the Ultimak gas tube?

What kind of velocity are you getting with that barrel length?

I'm starting to think I'm the only person that runs the AFG out further.

Waiting on the rifle to come home to test it out.I'm going to mount a Vortex red dot site.I may go back with the standard Vepr gas tube and mount a 4 power Leupold with a side mount.

I like it. I think the pedestal that people put Vepr's on is stupid. As if they are some virgin that shouldn't be touched. A Vepr is an AK with a RPK receiver. I'm glad the hype didn't keep you from customizing such a great platform to your personal needs/taste.

My question is, can I buy the original forearm?

lol

Edited by dobravery

The Veprs are nicer then most aks. You can really feel it, the edges are smoothed the finish is better..

Of course they all had those nasty poly stocks shoe horned on them.. But oh well.

I want the original wood for mine since I'm compliant with mags. The poly stock does not work with a rear bag, which makes it hard to shoot at a range.

It's a good thing that we can build our Saigas to be what we want them to be...

Someone gets it...

No one disputes your right to do with your property as you will, but people don't have to like the final product. I'm not a fan of the tacticool look, but the bigger problem is functional. You shortened the barrel so much that it will likely not hit much harder (if at all) than a 16 inch barrel 7.62x39, but the barrel with device is still 16 inches long, and now the gun is ridiculously loud and has less rounds capacity than an x39. It offers little if any combat advantage over a quality x39. But hopefully you will enjoy your highly customized rifle...

Edited by Jim Digriz

BEFORE:

Vepr4.jpg

Vepr-308,converted by Krebs Custom to take unmodified M14 magazines.Fixed stock/pistol grip,20.5" non-threaded barrel.

AFTER:

IMG00043-20101218-2122.jpg

Vepr-308,converted by Krebs Custom to take unmodified M14 magazines.Ace LTD Vepr stock adapter,ACE folding stock mechanism,ACE skeleton stock with .5 inch extension.Tapco SAW grip,Ultimak upper gast tube,Ultimak lower tri rail,Magpul angled Vertical grip,Magpul Rail covers. Barrel cut down by Elk River Tool and Die,to 13.25 and crowned.FSB moved back to GB,and YHM threaded flash suppressor permanently attached to make overall length 16.5.

I should have this back in my hands next week.The next step is to get my optic and mount.

Sorry, not to be too much of a dingaling, but I also like the before product better. The after is nice, and you obviously do fine work, but I would prefer the original configuration. It has more of that battle rifle look, which I like. The barrel is also too short on the after product in my opinion. Of course, opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one.

It's a good thing that we can build our Saigas to be what we want them to be...

Someone gets it...

No one disputes your right to do with your property as you will, but people don't have to like the final product. I'm not a fan of the tacticool look, but the bigger problem is functional. You shortened the barrel so much that it will likely not hit much harder (if at all) than a 16 inch barrel 7.62x39, but the barrel with device is still 16 inches long, and now the gun is ridiculously loud and has less rounds capacity than an x39. It offers little if any combat advantage over a quality x39. But hopefully you will enjoy your highly customized rifle...

When was the last time you were in combat?This rifle is not about combat...It still functions to my requirements.I did not put this up for you approval.Just sharing with the class...With a faster burning powder and lighter bullet I'm still pushing the velocity I want out of this rifle.And with the can I will have once the paper work is approved.My loads will be but a whisper...

When was the last time you were in combat?This rifle is not about combat...It still functions to my requirements.I did not put this up for you approval.Just sharing with the class...With a faster burning powder and lighter bullet I'm still pushing the velocity I want out of this rifle.And with the can I will have once the paper work is approved.My loads will be but a whisper...

A can would give it the advantage that it lacks right now. I'm not sure I would expect a whisper though. There was a guy at the range with a Kel Tec RFB with 16 inch barrel and a can a few weeks ago; I'm sure it could be shot comfortably without ear protection, but I don't think anyone would mistake it for a whisper.

A can would give it the advantage that it lacks right now. I'm not sure I would expect a whisper though. There was a guy at the range with a Kel Tec RFB with 16 inch barrel and a can a few weeks ago; I'm sure it could be shot comfortably without ear protection, but I don't think anyone would mistake it for a whisper.

Well maybe more like a fart in the wind. :D

• Like 2

Or a water buffalo fart. LOL :smoke:

Or a water buffalo fart. LOL :smoke:

Don't smoke near one.