Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Just thought I'd share the wonderful news about the new love in my life.

She came with 3 open gas ports, and chewed through a 25rnd box of target loads on gas setting 1 with only 3 stovepipes, all on the last round of the mag. Next trip out I'll see how she handles on setting 2 and go from there. So far I have to say I've never enjoyed shooting a gun this much, and I know with the conversion and hand guards it will only get sweeter. The first problem that came to mind while shooting was that a 5rnd mag isn't nearly big enough, plan on getting a few 8's in the near future.

Obligatory pic:

post-25486-0-98759200-1292866545_thumb.jpg

Not the best quality but was in a bit of a hurry, I'll keep this thread up to date with her progress, and find a proper background.

Next on the list is the FCG conversion and AR pistol grip and side folding stock adapter.

Anyhow, thanks to all the contributors for making this site as great as it is, I would never have grasped the possiblities without it, peace!

Ooh, mixed feelings. I thought I was clicking on a thread that involved somebody unveiling their reproduction of the gun from Firefly. Glad you have an S-12. BUT THAT AIN'T VERA! :lolol:

Haha well, as much as I (obviously) love Firefly, there's no way I'd consider rebuilding that monster of rattle can and JB weld. I'd like to think that I'm taking the overarching concept of her, and making it a reality :super:

Ooh, mixed feelings. I thought I was clicking on a thread that involved somebody unveiling their reproduction of the gun from Firefly. Glad you have an S-12. BUT THAT AIN'T VERA! :lolol:

Haha well, as much as I (obviously) love Firefly, there's no way I'd consider rebuilding that monster of rattle can and JB weld. I'd like to think that I'm taking the overarching concept of her, and making it a reality :super:

I thought the same thing, I thought Vera on firefly was pretty as well

post-7660-0-68785200-1292898712_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Haha that gun looks a lot like some of the mall ninja rigs on Arfcom!

Haha that gun looks a lot like some of the mall ninja rigs on Arfcom!

Beware... the Mall Ninjas will one day rise (from the couch) and take over (the 7-11)!

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update, getting her bolt and carrier polished up:

post-25486-0-49362200-1293874517_thumb.jpg

Thinking about doing a stealth job on it, and leaving the exposed parts black. It's coming along quickly but I need to restock my dremel heads.

The next stop is the conversion for sure. This is my shopping cart so far:

TRIGGER GROUP-TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP - http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-138/TROMIX-SAIGA-TRIGGER-TAPCO/Detail?sfs=d73b2f4

STOCK FOLDING MECHANISM SAIGA- AK47 AR STYLE - http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-254/ACE-Saiga-folding-AR15/Detail?sfs=457eb302

INTERNAL RECEIVER BLOCK- STOCK ADAPTER - http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-372/Saiga-AK47-Internal-Stock/Detail?sfs=457eb302

TRIGGER GUARD-SAIGA 12 BOLT ON AR15 - http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-375/Saiga-12-AR-Trigger/Detail?sfs=d73b2f4

I've got the grip and collapsible stock that came on my AR to fill in until I decide on replacements for them. Is there anything ya'll see that I would need or not? I'm also wondering whether the threads on folder are commercial or mil-spec?

My wife picked me up that folding stock part for christmas and I'm still on the fence with it. The particular gun I put it on has Krebs sights and even moving the stock down (which looks a bit odd against the back of the receiver) doesn't allow a good cheek weld with the sights (you have to scrunch your head down a bit). With a set of optics that sits a bit higher it wouldn't be a problem. If I were doing it over for my needs I probably would have stayed with a Vltor or CAA tube and left the tang intact. There's actually a bunch of ways to run a AR stock. Maybe others can elaborate on their set ups.

Edited by 6500rpm

My wife picked me up that folding stock part for christmas and I'm still on the fence with it. The particular gun I put it on has Krebs sights and even moving the stock down (which looks a bit odd against the back of the receiver) doesn't allow a good cheek weld with the sights (you have to scrunch your head down a bit). With a set of optics that sits a bit higher it wouldn't be a problem. If I were doing it over for my needs I probably would have stayed with a Vltor or CAA tube and left the tang intact. There's actually a bunch of ways to run a AR stock. Maybe others can elaborate on their set ups.

Thanks for the input. Honestly if I weren't so set of having a folder I would just go the buffer tang tube route, and save some scratch at the same time. I plan on eventually doing a set of Chaos rails with the HK sights, so a CTR with the cheek riser seems like it would work nicely. Did you happen to see which size tube the folding mechanism called for? Hoping mil-spec so I can pull the CTR off my AR until I get around to buying a 2nd one.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just trying to stay updated on the progress.

First things first, had to get the conversion out of the way. So much better already!

Practically fell apart.

post-25486-0-56511200-1296882862_thumb.jpg

I ordered all my conversion parts from Carolina Shooters Supply. I doubt it will surprise anyone that I had everything I ordered in no more than 4 days. Parts included the FCG, AR grip adapter, Twisterpuc standard, T.A.R.G.E.T., and SGM 10 rounder.

Quick and ugly receiver paint job including tactical blow dryer.

post-25486-0-93608100-1296882883_thumb.jpg

Since my Mako buffer tube won't be here for a few more weeks, I decided that the huuuuge LOP from the factory stock had to go. Removed about 4 inches from it and taped a shop rag over the end.

post-25486-0-78694900-1296883041_thumb.jpg

Both terrible and temporary.

And then I got bored and attached a small rail to factory handguard.

post-25486-0-81388600-1296883176_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how long it will last, but I think it handles much better, and doesn't interfere with mag changes.

I know she won't win any beauty contests, but the handling has improved so much it gives me wood just thinking about it. Plan on braving the weather tomorrow and running through a few bulk packs, can't wait to see how the Southern Engineering holds up. More pics to come!

I considered doing that stock chop as well, but instead I went the 2x6 route, pending opportunity to fabricate the aluminum folder I want.

I like the mini rail too. The factory fore-end looks and feels good, I hate to replace it with some penta-rail monstrosity that makes my shotgun handle like a boat anchor.

I can't get images to work right so here's a picture.

:booo:

im sorry, just my opinion. i loved the firefly series. but i think thats the ugliest excuse for a weapon ive ever seen.

again loved the show. hate the gun.

just my :2c:

Edited by psl sniper

Another update. Rattlecanned the ghetto shop rag stock, didn't really make it any less ghetto...

post-25486-0-18629300-1297491893_thumb.jpg

Thankfully it only lasted a week. Now we're rollin with the Mako AK Buffer tube w/ Shock Absorber (SBT-K47)

Added an AR stock I had lying around and she's back in action.

post-25486-0-17052500-1297492079_thumb.jpg

For those who don't know, the buffer tube is basically 2 pieces with a spring assembly inside that hypothetically reduces felt recoil. Will be taking it out to the range tomorrow to field test it, and will post any conclusions I come to.

She's already running much better off of bulk packs. Adding the low power spring really made a difference. Full mag dumps aren't a problem most of the time, and I'm thinking a few more hundred rounds through her should take care of any remaining problems.

• 6 months later...

So I hope nobody minds if I necro my own thread with some sexy new pics and thoughts about my magwell options...

Vera has put on a little weight in the past few months...

IMG_20110909_211321.jpg

But I think she looks sexier for it :devil:

vera1.jpg

Yes, I may have an AFG problem...

IMG_20110909_214932.jpg

The last on the list before she finally gets repainted are the R&R Targets safety, JTE brake, and a magwell...which brings me to my next point!

I'm hoping that those who have more experience with both the R&R and JTE versions will help me pick the right one for big V. From what I read in other threads, its basically:

R&R:

+larger, more stable unit

+mag button closer to AR style

-more expensive ($60)

JTE:

+less expensives

+easier install

-mag wobble due to smaller size (I read this was an issue at one point?)

If any of this is incorrect I'd be happy to listen. As far as the installation goes, would there be much difference in difficulty? I doubt I'd have a problem tapping holes if necessary, but I'm not sure I would be able to troubleshoot or fine tune much of anything.