Let the fun begin

Hello to all. After reading the posts on this great site for the past couple of weeks I have taken the plunge and ordered my S12 from CSS today. Now the fun begins, all the parts and the conversion its self. I am looking foward to getting started. It seams like Christmas, Oh wait it is, I havent been this excited for years. Now I just have to get the wife to go for all the extras!!! Hope you all have a great Christmas or what ever you celibrate.

Welcome and congratulations on your new S12.

It truly is an addiction. A few months ago I added up all the money I've spent on my single S12 and it was shocking. Yet it still brings a smile to my face.

Make sure to shoot it first and know that it will cycle heavy loads as well as lighter loads like the Federal Bulk Pack. If warranty work is needed it is best to do that before converting.

A great Christmas this will help make!

I know exactly how much I have spent on my saiga thus far and even though it's a lot I look at it as a long term investment.

These guns will sky rocket in value if/when obama and liberals try to outlaw them.

My gun started as a Vodka Special, I rolled the dice and converted it even when she wasn't running 100% Lots of FTE even with Federal. I decided to do all the mods my self rather send her off to some gunsmith who doesn't love her like I do lol.

For me when ever I fix something my self it feels way more rewarding.

What's sad now is it's been raining nonstop for 3 days and will continue for another week so I probably wont have a chance to go shoot her again until after new years!!!

lol figures, the minute she is finished and working reliably with bird shot, and has her rails, vertical grips, lights, lasers, red dot, and lots of 00 buck and federal ammo and her new MD 20 drum, and now I can't go shoot her lol.

She sits quietly in the safe with factory 5 round drum with 3 inch mags, my MD 20 19 rounds loaded, and surfire 12 rnd all with 00 buck waiting for any zombie/alien invasion.

At least i can test how bad the first round will deform against the bolt, so maybe some more bolt polishing is in order.

wahhh, Merry Christmas :)

Well my S12 is in transit, I guess I dont get it for Christmas. I am trying to decide whether to go with a stock adapter or the weld in receiver plate when I do the conversion. I know the adapter is easier but I don't know if there is a down side to it. I know that the purests out there will say that the only way to do this right is to weld and grind but I would like some other opinions. Have a great Christmas. I hope everybody gets a new Saiga ____ (Fill in the Cal.). Tom

If you go with bolt on adapter you can always change it later. Weld on is a lot harder to change. With all the new stuff that comes out for these guns it hard to leave it alone. You will always want the new stuff to make it better. Good luck with your build.

I have been following the S12 for awhile now, and finally broke down and ordered one. Came in yesterday, and I picked it up today. You can believe I will be at the range sometime over this four day Christmas weekend. I really bought it for hunting with the longer barrel. Don't know if I want to put wood on it, our set it up like my AR.

Anyway, It"s back to reading for now.

What's sad now is it's been raining nonstop for 3 days and will continue for another week so I probably wont have a chance to go shoot her again until after new years!!!

lol figures, the minute she is finished and working reliably with bird shot, and has her rails, vertical grips, lights, lasers, red dot, and lots of 00 buck and federal ammo and her new MD 20 drum, and now I can't go shoot her lol.

wahhh, Merry Christmas :)

Well looks like you're in luck....

Get'cha ass out there...

This just in....

Turns out they're waterproof! :D

I am trying to decide whether to go with a stock adapter or the weld in receiver plate when I do the conversion. I know the adapter is easier but I don't know if there is a down side to it. I know that the purests out there will say that the only way to do this right is to weld and grind but I would like some other opinions.

I like the cleanliness of a welded plate, kind of, however, if you ever turn into a true "purist" & want to go for broke, go with this option... K-var stocks them. (out of stock for now though)

d_873.jpg

You need to change the rear trunnion though.

It would be a touch harder to do with a welded plate to remove first.

Edited by Paulyski
  • 2 weeks later...

I got started on my conversion this weekend. Boy when the CSS video said that the BHO spring was a pain they were not kidding. I got it all back together and forgot to install the safety first, oh well good practice at taking it apart again. Now I found a MEC 600 jr reloader in the paper for $60. Oh well its only money. I had to buy the wife some new toys yesterday to make up for my toy spending.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I finally figured out how to post pictures of my project. Now I can play show and tell. I just got my bolt and carrier back from Pauly yesterday and what a job he did. I would be willing to say that it is worth twice the price he is charging for his work. The action slides like glass and the triger pull is as smooth as a babys but. Here it is so far, I have a quad rail comming and have wrapped the stock with paracord. Sorry for the out of focus picture I wiggled.

c1e8b37d.jpg

69babcfa.jpg