Customized MD Arms Molot Style Grip

Cool! I really wish they made those grips without finger grooves though. I hate finger grooves!

+1, the finger grooves kill the deal for me. The guy generally makes decent products, so maybe he will listen to public outcry and COPY THIS:

Img_0195.jpg

• Like 1

Cool! I really wish they made those grips without finger grooves though. I hate finger grooves!

+1, the finger grooves kill the deal for me. The guy generally makes decent products, so maybe he will listen to public outcry and COPY THIS:

Img_0195.jpg

+1 more

I don't even like the one finger groove on standard M16/AR15 grips. Give me the old smooth ones please.

Bo i am really digging that! What are other techniques for stippling?

There are different tip sizes and I used the medium one. I will try the fine tip next. Other than the "dot" technique there is also a Tree Bark style. I don't like the look of the Tree Bark.

I like that. You think just the tip of a soldering iron would work about the same?

I have 3 of the MD Molots. At first i didnt want the grooves either and was going to hold out for the non grooved Izhmash copy but i've "fallen" for how comfortable they are since i've been using them.

There is a thread on here where a guy removed the grooves off of his and it turned out pretty decent.

Edited by Mullet Man

I like that. You think just the tip of a soldering iron would work about the same?

I have 3 of the MD Molots. At first i didnt want the grooves either and was going to hold out for the non grooved Izhmash copy but i've "fallen" for how comfortable they are since i've been using them.

There is a thread on here where a guy removed the grooves off of his and it turned out pretty decent.

I would like to see one with the bottom finger groove removed. I think I have 6 or so Molot grips, but I'm too tired lately to bother with modding one.... getting old.

Gave it a try at doing Tree Bark Stippling. Not too bad for a first try. Grip wise, the Medium Dot Pattern has the most grip. The Fine Dot is next and the Tree Bark has the least amount of grip. IMHO the Fine Dot pattern has a good compromise between grip and comfort.

5285026820_5640785edd_z.jpg

5285026954_1ffcd2eafd_z.jpg

5284429025_dae519dc49_z.jpg

5285027138_9782605066_z.jpg

• Like 3

Img_0195.jpg

I was doing some searching and apparently there's a member by the name "Ronin" on the AK forums that makes all kinds of replica grips, including this Izhmash one. It looks identical aside from no logo. Unfortunately, he stopped making them now due to the winter weather I believe. $30 isn't a bad price at all.

• Like 1

Img_0195.jpg

I was doing some searching and apparently there's a member by the name "Ronin" on the AK forums that makes all kinds of replica grips, including this Izhmash one. It looks identical aside from no logo. Unfortunately, he stopped making them now due to the winter weather I believe. $30 isn't a bad price at all.

+1, thanks for the heads up.

Img_0195.jpg

It's always nice to have options.....but $30 for a replica grip is bordering on "too much", for my tastes. I got a factory Izhmash grip for like $40ish. I'd probably be quicker to snag up one of MD's replicas for $12 (or are they still $6) and then grind off the grooves. YMMV

• Like 1

I remember seeing someone post a pic of a grip they dremeled the grooves off of and stipled. I personally am not a fan of stipling so I took the dremel to my finger grooves with an 80 grit sanding drum, then swapped it to a worn out 240 grit drum which created a bit of a grain finish to the grip.

I know it's not as pretty as stipling but it feels great. I always thought stipling was overkill.

post-9800-0-77125000-1293240053_thumb.jpg

post-9800-0-09537200-1293240076_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbyshooter
  • Like 1

I remember seeing someone post a pic of a grip they dremeled the grooves off of and stipled. I personally am not a fan of stipling so I took the dremel to my finger grooves with an 80 grit sanding drum, then swapped it to a worn out 240 grit drum which created a bit of a grain finish to the grip.

I know it's not as pretty as stipling but it feels great. I always thought stipling was overkill.

post-9800-0-77125000-1293240053_thumb.jpg

post-9800-0-09537200-1293240076_thumb.jpg

Hobby,

Looks nice.

• 1 month later...