I might be jumping on the bandwagon tomorrow, and getting my first "smartphone". My girl just found out she gets some ridiculous discount with Verizon, through her work. Something like 25% off the monthly bill. (We're both already on Verizon Wireless) They're running a buy-1-get-1 deal on the Droid X, and with her discount, if I get on her plan, we'll be paying the same as we are now on our non-smartphones (dumbphones?) even with the required data plan.

I did a little research on it, and it seems the main complaint I found was it not being able to run Flash, but it's supposed to be able to soon? It was a dated review video that I heard that on, so maybe it's already out. Also something about the 2.2 update is going to make things even better? I'm not really up on this stuff.

Any tips or must-have apps?

(Now I get to become a part of the iPhone vs Droid debates that I have to listen to my buddies bicker about :lolol: )

I don't have the Droid X, but I do have the original Droid(totally modded of course :D).

The Droid X is an awesome phone. I wish I could snag one!

TOOL APPS:

Barcode Scanner - Lets you scan barcodes using the camera. Mainly used to shortcut to the download section of other apps.

Shazam - Its and app that you can use to listen to a song and it will identify what song it is. Works wonders believe it or not.

Launcher Pro - If you get sick of the way the DroidX looks and want to customize it Launcher Pro easily lets you do it.

PowerAMP - I strongly suggest this music player app if you are going to use the phone as a portable music device. It has library controls and a full equalizer. A great replacement to the music app the phone comes with.

GAMES:

Angry Birds - Put birds in a slingshot and launch them at pigs. Yes it is awesome.

Skies of Glory - Fly a plane using the built-in motion controls and shoot down other pilots.

GUNS, GOVERNMENT:

CONGRESS - This app lists every vote either house of Congress makes. For EVERYTHING. It also lists every bill being passed, being introduced, and it's movement. It also contains contact information for EVERY representative and senator. MUST HAVE app for those watching the watchers.

US Constiution - For those arguments or debates. Also contains all of the the Declaration of Independence, key articles by the founders, and others.

Shooter - I have not used this but apparently it is a full on ballistics calculator. It's $10 so I'd probably want to read about it.

• Like 1

I have the Droid X. I don't have a lot of apps but I do know it has flash. I think it's the iphone that doesn't have it. I wanted this one mainly for the large screen but I'm finding new things it can do all the time. It's probably more phone than I need but it's still pretty cool.

• Like 1

I have the Droid X as well. Like Dog Man I dont have a lot of apps but it does have Flash. Maybe the earlier ones didnt?! I found most of the apps to be kinda retarded and useless. Like the weather channel app. Why do i need that when the phone already has weather built in. Some of these apps are more like shortcuts. Like facebook or youtube app that takes you to those when you select it. Well you can do the same by opening the browser and typing it in. Or saving it in favorites so you dont have to type it in. Basically with the apps if you can do it without the app its better since they take up memory and bettery power. I did like the barcode scanner and google sky.

The internet on it is very fast. About as fast as cable internet, for regular web surfing, and its much faster then my wireless netbook.

My biggest complaint would be battery lifle. If I go on this and a few other forums a few times a day, reply to some txt from friends by the time I go home my battery is at about 50%. But I nave the car charger so its no big deal. The screen takes a lot of power. One thing your gonna want to do is go into the settings and change the screen time out from 1 min to 30sec.

Its a very interactive phone. Theres a lot you can do with it. Plays HD movies on your TV. Connects to the pc with a USB and you can drag and drop stuff from the fone to the pc or vice vera.

• Like 1

I have an original Droid as well. Lots of apps. Google shopping is good. Shop Savvy is cool as you can scan a barcode and shop for the best deal. Ballistics is a decent one for free. I would not want another "dumb phone"! You'll love it!

• Like 1

Its an excellent touch screen Linux based hand held computer with a ton of apps and good phone function. I got the Droid 2 because I hated my Blackberry, and like using the slide out keyboard for text and email. And don't forget the "mobile hotspot" app. You can use this app to get on the net with your laptop and bluetooth equipped desktop practically anywhere - and a number of other computers can access the connection simultaneously.

If you don't like using a keyboard (or don't have one) Droid OS has uncannily good voice recognition software that will let you input numbers, compose mail, make notes, etc. I still use mine mostly as a phone but calling these things phones anymore is almost a misnomer.

I have found the Droid replaces a lot of the functions I use my laptop for. Honestly, I think if one could plug it in to a full sized keyboard, monitor, and mouse, aside from graphics or math intensive programs - the thing could do most of the stuff a desktop computer does.

• Like 1

I also have a Droid X and I love it. It really is more than just a phone. The capabilities are mindblowing. You won't be disappointed. The 4.5 inch screen is huge compared to any other phone. It's big enough to feel comfortable watching youtube videos. You can explore the app market as there are hundreds of thousands of apps out there ready for you to download, many of them free. One of my favorites is the US Army Survival Guide, which is the entire guide, just in case. If you have any questions about the phone, feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

After reading some of the links that Camon gave, I see that it does have Flash now, like you guys are saying. I guess the review video I was watching was pretty old.

One more question.....whether it has a GPS app built in, or you have to download it.....it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to use it, right?

Also, anyone have a specific case they like? My buddy has the OtterBox (Defender Series) for his iPhone 4 and he swears by it. The thing feels like a tank with it on. But it does seem to add a decent amount of bulk.....and the Droid X is fairly large as it is now.

Shooter have you looked a the Droid II? I'm about to do the same as you, and finally come out of the dark ages. I've never had a cell phone myself. Things have changed a lot since the "bag phone" days...lol.

• Like 1

I also have a Droid X and I love it. It really is more than just a phone. The capabilities are mindblowing. You won't be disappointed.

+1

I wasn't realy into gadget-ie stuff like that until my wife made me try it for a month before I gave up on it. I felt like an IDIOT for about 1-2 weeks learning how to use it, but now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The 8mp camera is an AWESOME tool to have for taking pictures of my work.

• Like 1

Shooter have you looked a the Droid II? I'm about to do the same as you, and finally come out of the dark ages. I've never had a cell phone myself. Things have changed a lot since the "bag phone" days...lol.

I did check out the Droid 2. The only thing I didn't like about it was the slide-out keyboard. My soon-to-be-bro-in-law has a Droid (the first one, maybe?) and it has the same type of keyboard. I noticed when I was messing with it a long time ago, that the slide on it was "gritty". I'm assuming from random crud getting into the tracks or something, from sitting in his pocket. Something to keep in mind.

I've always had a cell, but this is my first smartphone. I'm messing with it now, and it's confusing as hell! :lolol:

I also have a Droid X and I love it. It really is more than just a phone. The capabilities are mindblowing. You won't be disappointed.

+1

I wasn't realy into gadget-ie stuff like that until my wife made me try it for a month before I gave up on it. I felt like an IDIOT for about 1-2 weeks learning how to use it, but now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The 8mp camera is an AWESOME tool to have for taking pictures of my work.

Hell yeah, man. I checked YouTube for some sample videos, and they're ridiculously clear video; 720p HD. I also Googled some sample still pics, and they're gorgeous too.

I sprung for the unlimited data plan, so I now have something to when I get dragged on "dinner dates" with my girl and people she works with! :lolol:

Guys, what exactly does it mean when it says "This app has access to..." when you go to install it? One of the apps said it had access to Storage, and could modify/delete SD card content. :unsure: That doesn't sound good, eh? Some others said they have access to the camera and can take pictures.

Am I reading into this too much, or do some of these apps come with stuff you don't want?

BTW, check out my new wallpaper!

156335_179799688700592_100000116851744_659563_7439746_n.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1125497

That's awsome! I saved that one and put the Norinco as my wallpaper. Yes some require access to your location, camera, ...... because some apps like the barcode scaner/shopper will access you camera to scan the barcode and then use your location to tell you where you can find that product in your area and at what price

• Like 1

Guys, what exactly does it mean when it says "This app has access to..." when you go to install it? One of the apps said it had access to Storage, and could modify/delete SD card content. :unsure: That doesn't sound good, eh? Some others said they have access to the camera and can take pictures.

Am I reading into this too much, or do some of these apps come with stuff you don't want?

http://www.ar15.com/...1&f=5&t=1125497

I think that means if you don't have sufficient storage capacity then some content can be overwritten. In other words, it doesn't do it maliciously, just out of necessity. Keep backing up important stuff just like you do on a computer. One thing to keep in mind is that ANYONE can write apps for droid. Make sure you get all yours apps from reliable sources (like droid market) and only use the ones who have many downloads and good reviews so that they are well tested.

• Like 1

http://www.ar15.com/...1&f=5&t=1125497

I think that means if you don't have sufficient storage capacity then some content can be overwritten. In other words, it doesn't do it maliciously, just out of necessity. Keep backing up important stuff just like you do on a computer. One thing to keep in mind is that ANYONE can write apps for droid. Make sure you get all yours apps from reliable sources (like droid market) and only use the ones who have many downloads and good reviews so that they are well tested.

Yeah, this is what it's sounding like, from my reading; just make sure it's a trusted source. But is everything in the Market a trusted source? I know anyone can make apps, but can anyone upload them to the Market for download?

That means that that particular app can modify its own files on the SD card.

I have the HTC Droid Incredible. It came out at the same time the Droid 2 and the Droid X. I like my phone better than both of the others. The only reason that I don't like the other 2 as much is because the HTC specific apps that mine comes with are great. I do like the screen real estate on the X, though. Problem is, that makes it a bit unwieldy as a hip-carry phone. You may want to keep it in a shirt or jacket pocket.

As far as apps go, the Droid Marketplace is LOADED with more apps than you can imagine. There are a ton of free apps and the ones you have to pay for are very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

That means that that particular app can modify its own files on the SD card.

I have the HTC Droid Incredible. It came out at the same time the Droid 2 and the Droid X. I like my phone better than both of the others. The only reason that I don't like the other 2 as much is because the HTC specific apps that mine comes with are great. I do like the screen real estate on the X, though. Problem is, that makes it a bit unwieldy as a hip-carry phone. You may want to keep it in a shirt or jacket pocket.

As far as apps go, the Droid Marketplace is LOADED with more apps than you can imagine. There are a ton of free apps and the ones you have to pay for are very reasonably priced.

Yeah, its pretty big. I wear fairly loose fitting clothes, though. Its been working out fine carrying it all over today in my pants pocket. Gonna pick up a Trident hardcase soon.

BTW.......this Angry Birds game is like heroin!!! Hahaha.

Yeah, its pretty big. I wear fairly loose fitting clothes, though. Its been working out fine carrying it all over today in my pants pocket. Gonna pick up a Trident hardcase soon.

You ain't shittin. I downloaded that game a month or so ago and it has consumed WAY too much of my time!! The sound effects made my sides hurt... :lolol:

There's also the Angry Birds Holiday Edition, too.

• Like 1

Launcher Pro - If you get sick of the way the DroidX looks and want to customize it Launcher Pro easily lets you do it.

I'm seeing this recommended in everything I read about the Droid X and similar phones.

So, quick question.....

Is it something a retard like myself could operate? Or if I download/install it, mess with some settings, and then feel it's above my tech level....can I uninstall it and will everything turn back to normal? I don't want to get messing with stuff, then realize I can't undo it :lolol: .

EDIT: ........and does it eat more battery than normal?

You ain't shittin. I downloaded that game a month or so ago and it has consumed WAY too much of my time!! The sound effects made my sides hurt... :lolol:

There's also the Angry Birds Holiday Edition, too.

Hell yeah. I was playing it for awhile, then my girl ran to the store....and she came back and said "You're still playing that game??". :lol:

Edited by -Shooter-

I'm not sure which Droid I'll get, but I'm definitely wanting ONE of them. I saw one that had a keyboard on the face of it, with a slightly smaller screen. The Droid Pro sounds familar, but I don't recall exactly.

Oh, I was wanting to ask this in its own thread, but this seems a fitting place.......

While at the mall last week (at a Verizon store), a lady there had a Droid (not sure what model). She looked at an App she had that tracked the cell phones of her kids (GPS I guess), which were also at the mall. She called one of them and yelled at them because they left the area they said they would be staying at, and she could see it on her phone.

That makes me wonder...... If someone has a smartphone (or maybe even a regular cell), could their location be tracked by whomever, even if they didn't have the app? Not looking for conspiracy theories on Big Brother or anything, but just wondering if you'd be giving up security if you had a Droid.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1

Seriously guys do yourselves a favor...NO MoTo...HTC FTW!!! :super: :super:

Is there a reason for this that you can articulate, or should we do it just because you said so?:D

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 1

I'm not sure which Droid I'll get, but I'm definitely wanting ONE of them. I saw one that had a keyboard on the face of it, with a slightly smaller screen. The Droid Pro sounds familar, but I don't recall exactly.

Oh, I was wanting to ask this in its own thread, but this seems a fitting place.......

While at the mall last week (at a Verizon store), a lady there had a Droid (not sure what model). She looked at an App she had that tracked the cell phones of her kids (GPS I guess), which were also at the mall. She called one of them and yelled at them because they left the area they said they would be staying at, and she could see it on her phone.

That makes me wonder...... If someone has a smartphone (or maybe even a regular cell), could their location be tracked by whomever, even if they didn't have the app? Not looking for conspiracy theories on Big Brother or anything, but just wondering if you'd be giving up security if you had a Droid.

I'm no expert, so don't take my word on this, but......As far as I know, every modern cell phone, even the non-smart phones, have some sort of GPS tracking capabilities, given someone has the authority to access it. But is it easier for Joe Schmoe to do some wizardry and find you, if you have a smartphone? I'm not sure. These things are super high-tech, so who knows. I was messing with some of the map and location apps that came preinstalled. I'd check them at random places throughout the day today, as I was out and about, and it was always very accurate as to where I was.