Best S12 defensive round?

Whichever normal slug or buck shot load your shotgun cycles well is the best. Strange loads like crushed glass ect. will just be a legal headache should the shoot be less then perfectly understandable.

The stuff made for all weather hunting may be a good idea, as the ammo is sealed better and will stay more reliable.

I prefer stuff that looks like its hunting ammo. Just because having a gun at the ready for 'Bad guys' is looked down upon in my area. So make sure I keep the gun with a hunting vest and some related gear.

I follow the advice of one of the foremost experts, Massad Ayoob, and I load 2 3/4 inch #1 Buckshot. 16 pellets, all of which will reliably reach the required 12 inches of penetration in ballistic gel. More pellets means larger surface area means more stopping power. Anything smaller than #1 buck won't always hit the required 12 inches of penetration.

I have six shotguns set up for home defense. In five of them (3 pumps, 2 autos) I have a total of 49 rounds of 00 buck on board. The sixth gun is my Saiga, and that single gun, with one 5 rd, one 10 rd, one 12 rd, and one 20 round drum, gives me 47 rounds of 00 buck on hand and easily reachable. Interesting that this single Saiga gives me just two rounds short of the other five guns totaled.

For practice with all the guns, I use #2 shot, #4 shot, Federal buck 7.5 shot, and BB shot. I shoot at least one of the shotguns daily, in a rotating manner. I stock a substantial number of slugs as well. I do not attempt to use 3 inch shells through the Saiga, as it seems less reliable in that regard. I do use 3 inch and 3.5 inch (a 3.5 inch 00 buck holds eighteen .33 caliber balls, and kicks prodigiously) in the pumps and other autos.

PJJ

I have six shotguns set up for home defense. In five of them (3 pumps, 2 autos) I have a total of 49 rounds of 00 buck on board. The sixth gun is my Saiga, and that single gun, with one 5 rd, one 10 rd, one 12 rd, and one 20 round drum, gives me 47 rounds of 00 buck on hand and easily reachable. Interesting that this single Saiga gives me just two rounds short of the other five guns totaled.

For practice with all the guns, I use #2 shot, #4 shot, Federal buck 7.5 shot, and BB shot. I shoot at least one of the shotguns daily, in a rotating manner. I stock a substantial number of slugs as well. I do not attempt to use 3 inch shells through the Saiga, as it seems less reliable in that regard. I do use 3 inch and 3.5 inch (a 3.5 inch 00 buck holds eighteen .33 caliber balls, and kicks prodigiously) in the pumps and other autos.

PJJ

Wow.. You must live in a rough neighborhood.. ;)

What's the most corn-shuckin' 12ga round out there?

Those of you who have the S12 as a home defense weapon, what is it loaded with?

Remington 3" magnum 15 pellet .00 buck.

You can get it really cheap at wally world & it's a common enough, non threatening sounding name, that the prosecution won't say you were shooting to KILL.

10 round clip with 2 3/4" with 00 buck and #4 shot alternating. The wife can shoot that with no prob and little recoil to stay on target or multiple targets for when I'm not home. Also do not have to worry about going thru walls and into a neighbors house like a magnum slug would.

Edited by Placebo
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I load my home defense magazines to cycle 2 shells of #4 buck and then 1 rifled slug, then repeat, for as many rounds as the magazine will hold. I figure if 2 shells of #4 doesn't put someone down the slug should do the trick. I'd rather not have to get to the slug as it possibly brings the innocent into play. Now that I think about it, if get to the slug and I'm still shooting... It doesn't really matter what loads are next because at that point I'm going to unload on that hopped up demon!

I follow the advice of one of the foremost experts, Massad Ayoob, and I load 2 3/4 inch #1 Buckshot. 16 pellets, all of which will reliably reach the required 12 inches of penetration in ballistic gel. More pellets means larger surface area means more stopping power. Anything smaller than #1 buck won't always hit the required 12 inches of penetration.

This

10 round clip with 2 3/4" with 00 buck and #4 shot alternating. The wife can shoot that with no prob and little recoil to stay on target or multiple targets for when I'm not home. Also do not have to worry about going thru walls and into a neighbors house like a magnum slug would.

They make a clip for the Saiga?????

Two 00 federal, followed by 00/slug/00/slug/00/slug etc. In the MD20.

Don't really care about over penetration... Not much to hit out here.

For more modest "home defense" just a 5 rounder with federal 00 copper plated buck.

Edited by Tombs

I don't use anything bigger than bird shot. It's very important to only frighten the bad guy or maybe wing him a little bit at first. That way he knows you are serious and you can then discuss it in a civilized manner. Plus, the prosecutor won't think you were actually trying to kill him, and yell at you.

I don't use anything bigger than bird shot. It's very important to only frighten the bad guy or maybe wing him a little bit at first. That way he knows you are serious and you can then discuss it in a civilized manner. Plus, the prosecutor won't think you were actually trying to kill him, and yell at you.

This is a joke, right?

He is serious. MSNBC's suggested home defense method.

Yes, and I find it sad that there are still people out there who believe that if the situation calls for you to aim a firearm at another human being AND THEN FIRE IT, then that same situation could still be settled with "talk".

Call me crazy but I let my friend, Federal 0 Buck, do all of my talking...

After doing some patterning tests with my Saiga, I fell completely in love with Federal Premium Vital-Shok Flitecontrolled Copper-Jacketed 00 Buckshot in 2 3/4".

The tightness of the pattern might actually be too good for home defense (it doesn't start to really open up until around 15 yards), but if I'm loading for bear and might have to perform in a number of situations, that's what'll be in my first mag.

Edited by Beerasaurus