What law allows CFR 178.39

New member and owner of a Saiga 12 here! :D

I recently bought a Saiga 12 to use in multigun and for general fun (ETA: I like how police/combat style competitions are not 'sports' per the ATF). I actually like the stock configuration as it fits me well but am I correct in thinking that I cannot legally put a >5 round USA magazine in the gun unless I replace at least 1 part?

First, which part is easiest to replace? The puck?

Second, what law allows for the '10 parts compliance' rule? 922r does not make any mention of compliance at all so I do not understand why people refer to it repeatedly. Wouldn't it be easier to get a regulation changed instead of an actual law? I'm new to this game but was CFR 178.39 the last change in any regulations on this matter?

Finally, why aren't all 'tactical' shotguns destructive devices since shotguns have to be sporting in the first place? If you convert your Saiga to comply with importation regulations, that doesn't mean it is still sporting so you can comply with the NFA regulation...

Edited by LuckyDucky
  • 5 weeks later...