The walking magazine release tab pin? fixes?

I have read on here in the past about the pin in the magazine release tab walking out, this happened to me a long time ago and I put it back in and it was fine as long as i watched it, still wanted to walk but id push it back in every so often. Then eventually I converted my saiga and put it back together recently, i took it to the range to test fire since converting it this weekend. Every time I'd do one drum dump it would walk out very far almost to the point of falling but just barely missing the hole on one side, I could maneuver it back in thankfully because I hate dealing with that magazine latch and its spring and what not. I hate it, its a pain. I have heard to fix this you hit the side with a center punch, do I do that while its in the gun or when the pin is out? I would prefer never to take it out again if possible, I just want my gun to be more solid and not have to worry about that. That is unacceptable, I would never trust this gun for home defense or my life ever. Let me know if there's any other fixes to this problem that those of you who have experienced this have tried with success. Thanks.

Edited by exterminator87

Aww it's not all that bad is it? It's a great HD gun once you have everything dialed in right.

To keep that pin from walking out again, put it back in first. Then with one end of it anchored solid against a very hard surface (like the top of a cold chisel sticking up out of a bench vise and tightened securely in place). With it backed by the steel on the bottom side, strike the pin with your center punch on the free end to put enough of a peened edge on it to keep it from fitting through the hole. Then flip it over and do the other side the same way. Should be GTG after that.

I have read on here in the past about the pin in the magazine release tab walking out, this happened to me a long time ago and I put it back in and it was fine as long as i watched it, still wanted to walk but id push it back in every so often. Then eventually I converted my saiga and put it back together recently, i took it to the range to test fire since converting it this weekend. Every time I'd do one drum dump it would walk out very far almost to the point of falling but just barely missing the hole on one side, I could maneuver it back in thankfully because I hate dealing with that magazine latch and its spring and what not. I hate it, its a pain. I have heard to fix this you hit the side with a center punch, do I do that while its in the gun or when the pin is out? I would prefer never to take it out again if possible, I just want my gun to be more solid and not have to worry about that. That is unacceptable, I would never trust this gun for home defense or my life ever. Let me know if there's any other fixes to this problem that those of you who have experienced this have tried with success. Thanks.

Some other ways of dealing with this are have it partially out & smash the end a little bit with vice grips, then press it in...

Or, Weld.

If you weld, I would only use MIG then dress it smooth, or as Tromix does a split second of the TIG torch.

If you were to do it vis welding only a tap, and HAVE WATER TO THROW ON IT QUICK TO QUENCH otherwise the heat transfer could anneal the spring, weakening the strength of the mag catch.

Do not use an oxy-gas or ARC outfit for this task, as the heat produced is simply too great.

Good luck & Merry Christmas.

If you have a bench vise you can put that pin in the rifle, then squeeze in in the vise to "stamp" the ends of it out larger than the hole it goes into. Just don't get overzealous on the pressure or you'll have to work your magazine release a bit to loosen it back up.

If you have a bench vise you can put that pin in the rifle, then squeeze in in the vise to "stamp" the ends of it out larger than the hole it goes into. Just don't get overzealous on the pressure or you'll have to work your magazine release a bit to loosen it back up.

I dont see how that will work without major distortion of the "tabs" that the latch resides in. My pin in particular is perfectly flush with those "tabs", once in place leaving no material to flare or mushroom. A longer pin of some sort and i can see doing it but i dont know if i would try it with this short of a pin.

I've never done a mag release pin like this but it may work fine.

When I build fixtures for welding and the like, I often have pins that want to walk out. What I do is take my auto punch and strike both sides of the pin right in the crack around the pin. It deforms the pin enough that it won't fall out, yet I can still knock it out with a hammer.

This is an auto punch. They can be found in most hardware stores.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Steel-Automatic-Center/dp/B00004T7RH

I dont see how that will work without major distortion of the "tabs" that the latch resides in. My pin in particular is perfectly flush with those "tabs", once in place leaving no material to flare or mushroom. A longer pin of some sort and i can see doing it but i dont know if i would try it with this short of a pin.

Yeah, my pin was definitely longer than the width of the tabs on the magazine release... You might look at getting a new pin from K-Var or some other place that sells them. I got a new pin from K-Var and it had plenty of material sticking out each side.

Before that though, if you pin is just flush, I would just use a small punch or even a small flathead screwdriver and put a few dimples along the edge of the pin on each side. Should work that way too.

• 1 year later...

Yet another useful thread that needs to be placed under a tab problems and fixes! I will have to do one of these tomorrow!

There is another thread, where a guy used an 1/8" roll pin for his. Said its working out great, and fit tightly.

I agree, alot of these good "fix/repair" threads like this, need to be stickied up top in one main thread. Instead of some of the ridiculous ones that are pinned.

Edited by Mullet Man

If all else fails - make one out of a nail. Find one the right diameter, cut it off a 1/16 " or so long, drill a small hole in the cut end, and dremmel the head until it looks good. Set the pin with a center punch or use a BB and a hammer. Don't use more force than necessary to expand the cut end enough to stay put.

• Like 2