What the piss happened if I may ask!?

I myself do not know exactly where you can get factory OEM parts, but I know that aftermarket piston's are available, and some (not all) of the aftermarket pucks work very well and better then the original. If you are dead set on factory parts, I imagine if you send a E-Mail to one of the vendors who specialize in conversions, such as Tromix, Red Jacket, Cadiz, and the others, that they may have factory parts laying around that have been removed, that they may sell.

Hope this helps,

S_I

Edited by self_inflicted
  • Like 1

What the piss happened if I may ask!?

I myself do not know exactly where you can get factory OEM parts, but I know that aftermarket piston's are available, and some (not all) of the aftermarket pucks work very well and better then the original. If you are dead set on factory parts, I imagine if you send a E-Mail to one of the vendors who specialize in conversions, such as Tromix, Red Jacket, Cadiz, and the others, that they may have factory parts laying around that have been removed, that they may sell.

Hope this helps,

S_I

I second the question.

What are your ports sized at?

Or are you doing mag dumps on setting 2 with 3" magnum slugs?

If somehow your gun is stock & that happened due to soft steel, contact Cadiz Gunworks for warranty repair.

If not, you may try the builders that build SBS guns with shortened gas systems, being as many of them spin their own push rods, so may have some around.

If not go to a small run machine shop & have them turn you one out on a lathe.

If it's that FUBAR'ed because you went apeshit on your ports, I'd suggest having them spin it out of 4140 tool steel & make it a touch thicker than the factory one, because next your carrier is going to crack where the rod screws in, so you may as well be prepared, so when that happens you can have it welded into one piece. (or have a competent gunsmith fill your ports & start all over again)

But once again. DAMN! :eek:

Edited by Paulyski

Thanks for the replies. The vents of this customers shotgun are factory size. The customer was doing an unintentional torture test by not cleaning his S12. I have no idea how many rounds he put through this thing without cleaning. I had to literally use a long wood dowel and nylon mallet to knock the puck out of the gas block. The gas block had much "plead" (mixture of plastic wadding and lead). Left unattended to this could have been very dangerous. Yes, I saw the crack in the piston, I tried to take the picture so it would show up. By the way, this is a Tapco SS piston. Paul

Thanks for the replies. The vents of this customers shotgun are factory size. The customer was doing an unintentional torture test by not cleaning his S12. I have no idea how many rounds he put through this thing without cleaning. I had to literally use a long wood dowel and nylon mallet to knock the puck out of the gas block. The gas block had much "plead" (mixture of plastic wadding and lead). Left unattended to this could have been very dangerous. Yes, I saw the crack in the piston, I tried to take the picture so it would show up. By the way, this is a Tapco SS piston. Paul

Okay..

That explains a bit.

The factory pistons seem to break when they fail, not bend.

I've heard of this, just never seen a pic of the bend...

That's one of those WTF moments. :eek:

If Tapco has a stockpile of S-12 factory pistons, I would honestly be shocked.

Tom Cole of Cadiz has to cannibalize a gun to get one.

I'd still check with Tom, the SBS builders, & a small run machine shop if Tapco no longer has replacements. I understand they stopped making those when a little after it was determined that the Puck was the piston 922r-wise.