Tapco Galil .223 mags, ok for a Saiga conversion?

I don't get over here to often mainly because of other gun forums, i hope i didn't miss a post on this but has anyone tried the Tapco/Galil .223 mags in there converted Saiga.223

I have about a dozen Galil Orlite .223 mags but there hard to come by locally and a local shop has started carrying the Tapco/Galil .223 mags.

ok gents whats the word good mags that will fit and work or junk to stay away from?

I don't get over here to often mainly because of other gun forums, i hope i didn't miss a post on this but has anyone tried the Tapco/Galil .223 mags in there converted Saiga.223

I have about a dozen Galil Orlite .223 mags but there hard to come by locally and a local shop has started carrying the Tapco/Galil .223 mags.

ok gents whats the word good mags that will fit and work or junk to stay away from?

You have a bunch of Orlite mags already. They are superior to the Tapco mags, so why bother with the Tapco ones?

You have a bunch of Orlite mags already. They are superior to the Tapco mags, so why bother with the Tapco ones?

Thought we went over this already Jim...

It's because one can never have too many mags or ammo to fill them with. :super:

Thought we went over this already Jim...

It's because one can never have too many mags or ammo to fill them with. :super:

And I thought it was only milspec mags for you from now on! ;-)

I'm all for getting more mags. And there are plenty with steel reinforcement at the lockup junctures that are still inexpensively available.

The tapco mags fit ( but are loose) and feed with BG. they are less expensive , and lifetime warranteed! made in U.S.A and count as compliant parts , what's wrong with that? I've solicited Tapco to make the .223 mags for Saiga specificly , but I'm sure if they did , they would have the BG on it already. so never mind. I'm thinking about shrinking up the magwell area , so the tapco galil mags don't wobble.

The tapco mags fit ( but are loose) and feed with BG. they are less expensive , and lifetime warranteed! made in U.S.A and count as compliant parts , what's wrong with that?

Lifetime warranties don't excite me; never _needing_ a warranty does. I remember when I had a Hi Point carbine and people on the Hi Point forum always talked about their great warranty and wonderful customer service. In retrospect, it should have been a clue that we are talking about guns and parts that are low quality and need frequent work. My Hi Point started feeding rounds nose up, and sure enough, their great customer service took care of it immediately, and without question. But once the gun came back, I took it to the gun show to sell, and started looking into a reliable gun. I wound up getting a Saiga AK. Now why would I not want to have magazines for my Saiga that are on par with the rifle itself in terms of ruggedness and reliability? To save a few dollars? My life is worth the price difference. To have a compliant rifle? I can accomplish that with furniture and a trigger group without compromising the gun's reliability. There is no need to be OVER-compliant. These laws are capricious and stupid, and we should only give them the most minimally necessary compliance.

• Like 1

The tapco mags fit ( but are loose) and feed with BG. they are less expensive , and lifetime warranteed! made in U.S.A and count as compliant parts , what's wrong with that?

Lifetime warranties don't excite me; never _needing_ a warranty does. I remember when I had a Hi Point carbine and people on the Hi Point forum always talked about their great warranty and wonderful customer service. In retrospect, it should have been a clue that we are talking about guns and parts that are low quality and need frequent work. My Hi Point started feeding rounds nose up, and sure enough, their great customer service took care of it immediately, and without question. But once the gun came back, I took it to the gun show to sell, and started looking into a reliable gun. I wound up getting a Saiga AK. Now why would I not want to have magazines for my Saiga that are on par with the rifle itself in terms of ruggedness and reliability? To save a few dollars? My life is worth the price difference. To have a compliant rifle? I can accomplish that with furniture and a trigger group without compromising the gun's reliability. There is no need to be OVER-compliant. These laws are capricious and stupid, and we should only give them the most minimally necessary compliance.

how

+1... Oh, and tell us how you really feel!

I agree that milspec is the way to go... I have a few of these Tapco mags for the range, and they work great for that specific application. That said, they are in the rifle bag, not in my loadout. In a grab and go situation my milspec mags are the choice.

I agree that milspec is the way to go... I have a few of these Tapco mags for the range, and they work great for that specific application. That said, they are in the rifle bag, not in my loadout. In a grab and go situation my milspec mags are the choice.

Do practice some at least with the milspec mags. There was a guy on the Warrior Talk forum who related how he had always used either Tapcos or ProMags (I forget which) at the range, but depended on steel mags for serious work. He said that in a carbine course, he fiddled awkwardly with reloading the gun with the steel mags in a hurry, because he had a muscle/feel memory that was totally different.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Do practice some at least with the milspec mags. There was a guy on the Warrior Talk forum who related how he had always used either Tapcos or ProMags (I forget which) at the range, but depended on steel mags for serious work. He said that in a carbine course, he fiddled awkwardly with reloading the gun with the steel mags in a hurry, because he had a muscle/feel memory that was totally different.

Too true! I just learned this exact lesson last weekend at the range, and have modified my practice accordingly!

I know ProMags are useless as the BG breaks like glass. Are ProMags still crap if you don't need the mag BG and have a receiver bullet guide instead? Is the ProMag body, spring, follower and floorplate still decent?

I don't think I'll need any ProMags, but if I was someone who had a bunch, I'd just install a BG.

I got my 3 Tapco Galil mags today. They snap in mine with no modification. I do not have a bullet guide, so they do not feed properly. I was able to get some to feed without it, but I would not call it reliable at all and I wold not expect them to without the bullet guide.

They snap in real nice. They seem real solid. There is some side to side wobble. That may be cleared up with a BG, but I am not really sure. I am thinking there could be something glued to the side or something to help the wobble.

I will post back after I have a chance to shoot with them. It may be a little while as it is cold out!

Heres the rub, if you take out the factory mag would that not also put you in violation of 922? Since you have removed the foreign parts...

That's not how 922® works. You can remove as many part of you want; it's adding evil features (in this case, a thirty-round mag) that gets you in trouble if there are too many foreign parts.

Are these the mags we are talking about?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-427/TAPCO-AK74-SAIGA-5.45X39/Detail

Which bullet guide? The one referenced in the description?

I sent my money to CSS for my Conversion Kit today!!

Anyone? I want to get a couple mags but I want to be sure to get the right ones. I will just call CSS Monday. Those guys really are awesome!

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-427/TAPCO-AK74-SAIGA-5.45X39/Detail

To determine which BG you need, you need to look at your trunnion and find out if it is flat or round.

The mags in the link are all wrong... Look at the caliber! You would have issues for sure.

I think you're looking for the Tapco Galil mags. Not the Tapco 5.45 mags.

To determine which BG you need, you need to look at your trunnion and find out if it is flat or round.

The mags in the link are all wrong... Look at the caliber! You would have issues for sure.

I think you're looking for the Tapco Galil mags. Not the Tapco 5.45 mags.

Thanks Bohound.... I really dont know. I will search the tapco galil mags....