Arcus 98 DAC or Zastava EZ9 ?? which one.??

Hi folks,

Wanted feedback from any owners of these on here.. both are about $300-320 online..

Both say DA/SA so thats a non-issue.. the EZ9 has decocker lever on it..

The Arcus 98 DA C - Compact.. 9mm 13-15 rounds with 2 mags included.. (Browning HP clone w/4" bbl)

post-8775-0-65005600-1293207405_thumb.jpg

The Zastava (EAA) EZ9 (Sig 226 clone) 9mm 15 rounds with 1 mag included.. (extras are about $22)..

post-8775-0-69143600-1293207399_thumb.jpg

Looking toward new year for a new handgun.. sold all mine in the last 12 months..

I use to have:

Glock 30

Sig 228

Springfield (HS 2000) XD9 w/4" bbl..

Baikal IJ-70 (380 acp) Makarov (12 round model) :super:

Kahr MK9

FEG (Hi-Power Clone)

KelTec P32

LLama Mini-Max 45 (the worst gun EVER)..

Opinions / Feedback on these two models would be appreciated..

I have a few HP and Sig 228 LEATHER holsters here so either model will have a nice place to ride with me.. :smoke:

Al

Edited by YWHIC

I think the browning is a very sexy gun but I have no experiance with the Arcus. The EZ9 is a brick! Also the EZ has ambi controls which is a plus for me. Also if in not mistaken it taker beretta mags.

Id prefer the EZ.

If you like the browning look check out surplus city they had Argentinian hi powered in the same price range

Further specs.

Arcus.. 4" bbl, 7.32" OAL, and 31.7 oz..

EZ9... 4" bbl, 7.75" OAL, and 33 oz..

I do like the de-cocker lever (on the EZ 9) for dropping the hammer when not firing..

The Arcus is a manual 'you pull the trigger and lower the hammer' :cryss:

Anyone else have RELIABLE $300-340 suggestions in 9mm (or larger calibers)???

I like the XD's but.. :dollar:

Al

RIA or Bersa 1911?

Zastava 9? Not the EZ but the TT version.

Argentinian high power

keltec P11 or PF9. Not military obviously.

Taurus PT (closer to $400)

ATM Tanners has 2 CZ P07 used unfired. About 5 IMI baby eagles in 9mm 1 in .45. All in your price range, CZ52, ....go take a look. $300-400+

Edited by Arik

Well after going thru the process about 7 times comparing notes..

I went with the Zastava EZ9 for $305 shipped from Buds.. the de-cocker feature was the sincher for me..

I remember BigSal said it was good in SA mode.. and read-up online that the trigger pull was like 5 lbs :super:

and the videos on YouTub look promising..

It also can run CZ99, Daly ZDA, etc.. type mags..

After I get it 'in-hand' I will order up two more mags... found them for 2 for $27 and $6 s/h on GB..

now to dig out the Sig 228 holster(s) I have in the closet..

I will do a full review when I get it.. I ordered 350 rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm today for $56 shipped..

Albert

Further specs.

Arcus.. 4" bbl, 7.32" OAL, and 31.7 oz..

EZ9... 4" bbl, 7.75" OAL, and 33 oz..

I do like the de-cocker lever (on the EZ 9) for dropping the hammer when not firing..

The Arcus is a manual 'you pull the trigger and lower the hammer' :cryss:

Anyone else have RELIABLE $300-340 suggestions in 9mm (or larger calibers)???

I like the XD's but.. :dollar:

Al

There are a bunch of Sig P250s out there for around $350 right now. Check out slickguns.com

Well after going thru the process about 7 times comparing notes..

I went with the Zastava EZ9 for $305 shipped from Buds.. the de-cocker feature was the sincher for me..

I remember BigSal said it was good in SA mode.. and read-up online that the trigger pull was like 5 lbs :super:

Albert

Thought this was the best deal (For me).. can also use Beretta 92 mags :super:( with just a notch cut in the front of the mag..)

I love the net' for information..

Al

I bought the Arcus 98 DA (full size) some time back. I also have been able to mod a Beretta 92 mag to fit and function in it although the slide doesn't lock to the rear when empty.

Initially, I thought I would be able to use the standard HiPower 15 round mags for it. They don't work because they are too short. The mag length is the 17 round length but the follower it uses limits the capacity to 15 (this is how Arcus manufactures them). This wouldn't be an issue for anyone that doesn't live in a mag limit state because they can just use the HiPower 17 round mags for it.

The finish leaves something to be desired on the weapon but it functions flawlessly. I actually like the heft of this thing. But if I had to do it again I would have gotten the compact (98 DAC) for the mag options.

What I like about the Arcus is it's basically a HiPower with the mag safety already removed. I have no problem with using the trigger to lower the hammer. Even when using a de-cocker like on the Beretta I still ride the hammer down with my thumb.

Well I sent them an email Saturday saying to change to CC.. (from sending a chk for $9 less).. so today someone must have came in..

They send me an update.. banged my CC for the $314... and now shows as sent to shipping dept.. :super:

post-8775-0-14995400-1293417840_thumb.jpg

Managed to get 2 Beretta 92 (15 round) surplus NOS mags for $30 shipped from GB.. :super:

Now I wait.. :cryss: for that and the 350 rounds of 9mm.. :super:.. come'on UPS guy..

Albert

• Like 1

been reading up abit.. appararently you can remove the 'other/un-used' decocker lever relatively easily.

now looking for simple 'open-top' leather holsters.. apparantly.. the ones made for the XD 40/9 models will fit this..

Found a few open top Don Humes for like $30 or so on-line.. :super:

Going to wait on the holster though.. just want a pistol in the house..

getting hard to sleep with the DPMS LR-308 or Saiga 308 on the bed with me...:unsure:

Al

Well I got it today.. shipped yesterday 2 Day UPS.. came in 1.. :super:

Came with 2 mags vs. 1.. (not complaining on that as they are $24 each)

post-8775-0-97941000-1293591431_thumb.jpg

Field stripped it.. relubed with Miltec TW25B.. and re-assembled..

post-8775-0-60633600-1293591419_thumb.jpg

then some pics..

post-8775-0-58736900-1293591466_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-53093900-1293591559_thumb.jpg

Trigger pull in SA mode (aka hammer back).. is about 5 1/2#... :super:

Trigger pull in DA mode (aka hammer forward).. is ALOT... 13# would be about right.. :cryss:

Was MFG on 7/17/2009.. Ser # range is ZA0901XXX..

more info...

Edited by YWHIC

Now the mag release is good.. just turn your grip a little bit.. mags drop free.. :super:

post-8775-0-74035900-1293592210_thumb.jpg

The 3 dot sights are pretty good.. nothing fancy but pretty good for me.. they are STAKED onto the slide..

post-8775-0-22740500-1293592218_thumb.jpg

The decocker for me is hard..

The 1st pic shows the side view.. which looks good..

post-8775-0-07053700-1293592236_thumb.jpg

The 2nd pic is from the front.. my thumb can't bend in THAT far.. to catch it..

post-8775-0-61170600-1293592226_thumb.jpg

If I rotate my hand ABIT.. I can do it..

Hope this helps someone looking at this EZ9... definately worth the $314 I paid.. :super:

Taking to range this Sunday (if they are open).. will do a range report then..

Albert

I bought a used EZ9 last summer, for $250. It came with 1 mag. Accurate shooter, but I've only shot it out to 15 yds. Its a good gun, but a bit thick in the grip. No luck finding aftermarket grips for it, and no one seems certain if Sig grips will fit it without modification. I want a slimmer grip profile, and plan on having custom ones made locally in Jan. Overall, its a keeper. The ambi decock feature is nice.

Hand cycles FMJ ammo just fine.. :super:

I have 1 Remington GS 124gr HP bullet here.. which seems to run smack into the FACE of the feedramp.. :cryss:

After I shoot it abit (hopefully on Sunday if they are open).. I will retry hand cycling the Rem GS...

Maybe the mag will loosen up and things will align better..

Keep you all posted..

..Kevin.. any suggestions for HP ammo?? what have you ran thus far??

Al

Well apparently I guess a new batch came in or someone decided to UP the price..

Buds is now listing the EZ9 at $445.. and some dealers are at $415 +.. :cryss:

Anyone whom may want to get one.. should grab one ASAP.. shop around.. CTD had them for $300 also..

You can also use Std Beretta 92 mags in these also.. with just drilling 1 hole in the front for the mag catch on the EZ9.. :super:

Al

Edited by YWHIC