What are the best drum mags?

Just got a ProMag 12 round drum and it works great. Have put about 5 mags worth of shells through it with no problems. I like it being small and doesn't stick way out like some 12 round straight mags. I haven't heard great things about the products ProMag puts out though. What kind of reputation do these 12 round ProMags have? What other drums may be more reliable in the short and long term?

TIA,

Allan Schisel

As far as I know Pro-Mag is the only maker so far of a 12 round drum. Chaos has something in the works and of course MD Arms has the 20 rounder (which is awesome and there's a ton of threads about).

I've only shot the 12 rounder drum a couple times. No feeding issues, though it was harder for me to load than the MD Arms drum. That could have been a combination of it being new and my not having messed with it before.

I will do you a favor and tell you it's like Coke and Pepsi. Some like Coke and some like Pepsi. Are they wrong in liking one and not the other: no? Some people hate pro-mag some people hate Md arms. I have shot both and have good luck with both. The only difference I have found is that the promag has a lever on the back to help it load better. They are both great companies that stand behind there product and will fix or replace it if need be. I have no affiliation with either company so my opinion is based on using them. Hope this helps.

Edited by Rangerguy
  • Like 1

People who don't like S-12 Promags mostly gained that from the soft stick mags. (at least this was the case for me)

Their drums have proven much more reliable than the sticks generally were.

There have been rave reviews of the Promag 12.

There have been a few complaints, but not exceedingly so as of this time.

For the 20, MD-arms is still king.

That being said, the Promag 20 isn't doing too bad.

Rumor is, that Promag will be using the material they use on their drums on the next run of sticks, & when they come out, I will pick one up and see how it is.

They really are pretty, they just needed to much work to keep right being as they (the sticks) were soft & the mouths could collapse under the force of the spring steel feedlips.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

I have both, the 12 rounders are a nice size, but the MD20 can be run over and still work, no promag can do that.....Now if Mike made 12 rounders that would be awesome

Or 10 rounders for the Gestapo states.

• Like 1

Sold my MD20 when the Promag 12 came out, nothing against the MD20 but the thing is just to damn big and heavy when loaded. I much prefer the Promag12 and to date have never had a single failure with thousands of rounds through numerous S12s. The whole $360 drum that now sells for $80.00 on sale has left a bad taste in my mouth with anything Mike sells. That said I love that Molot pistol grip he sells and I begrudgingly have it on two of my three S12s.

• Like 1

Sold my MD20 when the Promag 12 came out, nothing against the MD20 but the thing is just to damn big and heavy when loaded. I much prefer the Promag12 and to date have never had a single failure with thousands of rounds through numerous S12s. The whole $360 drum that now sells for $80.00 on sale has left a bad taste in my mouth with anything Mike sells. That said I love that Molot pistol grip he sells and I begrudgingly have it on two of my three S12s.

I agree, the 20 rounders are quite large. I wish Mike would produce a 12 round drum that was everything the MD-20 is, but in a smaller package. Maybe he will come out with the doublestacks soon....

Anyone ever meet and shoot with the people from Pro-mag? How about Mike who is MD arms?

Anyone see posts on the board from the Pro-mag people? How about MD arms?

They did not take a risk on the Saiga market. They saw someone making money and made a version of that product. Would they have made a drum if not for MD arms? I doubt it.

Think about that. Ask yourself if you want cheapish stuff, or constant new products that have a lot of R&D money put into them.

There were a few smoke covers that had a tiny bit of moisture in the meterial on one of Mike's runs.

Yhis can happen if the material handler at an injection molding plant fails to turn the dryers on for a while before the run on the hopper that holds the material.

A few got shipped to mike & he thought he got them all, but one made it out & onto the drum I bought.

It didn't look like a defect at all. It's transparent, just a little "smokier" than how his normal smoke covers are.

When another member asked if there were any differences between runs, I mentioned the smoke covers looked slightly different. Mike ran across this & HE CONTACTED ME, asking for an address where he could send a free smoke cover! :eek:

I would like to see another mag company try to rise to that level of customer service.

For the record, I actually like the look of the cover that it came with no less & no more than the clearer smoke cover, so I kept the old cover on that drum so I can tell the difference between drums at a glance.

Not many businesses focus on customer service like Mike. He's the only one I've seen do something like that when it was something so slight.

I could see if it were something unsafe, but this man really goes the extra mile.

Anyone ever meet and shoot with the people from Pro-mag? How about Mike who is MD arms?

They did not take a risk on the Saiga market. They saw someone making money and made a version of that product. Would they have made a drum if not for MD arms? I doubt it.

Think about that. Ask yourself if you want cheapish stuff, or constant new products that have a lot of R&D money put into them.

This is the land of Wallmart! I want "cheapish stuff" . Still doesn't address why they went from $360 to $ 80.00 on sale, if you don't mind taking it in the ass and smiling about it so be it, I prefer not to praise the guy who just fucked me because there were no other players in the market when his drum came out. When did selling a product become such a Nobel endeavor, those vendors that make products for the S12 do so for one reason and one reason only....to make money! As a consumer I expect that the product to be of good quality and sold at a fair price. I think Promag has made a great product at a fair price, now that competition has entered the market Mike now meets both those criteria as well.

Edited by NinerRider
  • Like 1

I have. Mike came up for a recent Pumpkin shoot and brought several things with him. Nice guy. A number of us went out to eat with him afterwards too.

Still doesn't address why they went from $360 to $ 80.00 on sale, if you don't mind taking it in the ass and smiling about it so be it, I prefer not to praise the guy who just fucked me because there were no other players in the market when his drum came out.

I suspect that early on, when he was having to pay someone else for making the molds and injection molding them, it cost him a lot more than after he was able to purchase his own equipment and do it himself. Granted, the equipment had to be expensive, but still. As for there being no other players at the time, that's true. He was an innovator in that respect. While I spent a lot on a drum from him when they first came out too, I wasn't forced to buy it. Yeah, I suppose I was a little :o when the price dropped so much, but I didn't complain. I just bought another drum or two.

This is the land of Wallmart! I want "cheapish stuff" . Still doesn't address why they went from $360 to $ 80.00 on sale, if you don't mind taking it in the ass and smiling about it so be it, I prefer not to praise the guy who just fucked me because there were no other players in the market when his drum came out. When did selling a product become such a Nobel endeavor, those vendors that make products for the S12 do so for one reason and one reason only....to make money! As a consumer I expect that the product to be of good quality and sold at a fair price. I think Promag has made a great product at a fair price, now that competition has entered the market Mike now meets both those criteria as well.

Well I can see and understand that.

But I know how much molds for plastic are because I've had quotes on them before.

Well of course they are trying to make money. But the big companies don't take risks developing totally new products.

The price jump also was at a very strange time (post elections). Heck I thought I was closing up shop right then, Mike probably wanted to pay off his equipment before the ban, that we all felt was coming. Heck you felt a need to buy it at $360, probably because you thought it was going to be gone soon.

I'm happy the price came down, and I do think Pro-mag had something to do with that. And I will admit as much as I dislike Promag, that their 12 round drum looks extremely useful.

However their 10 round mags leave much to be desired, heck a search here will show that.

No one fucked you, pole rider, you just thought you were the coolest mall ninja when you had your new mag. Quite bitching here.

Why did you pay 360 when the highest he sold them for was 240? Maybe you should try to invent something, design the molds to make it, run a test batch to fix the kinks, redo the molds, find the best material, build a website to sell them, then bring it to market, or,,,,,,,, you could just FUCK OFF you cry baby.

Go back to walmart and buy your shit and be happy. Most intelligent people have 2 kinds of things, stuff they now they can trust and take care of and stuff to beat the shit out of and throw away when its destroyed( promag). If you can't afford both. buy the stuff that will last a lifetime and be happy. Yeah 20 rounders are big but if there ever is a time you need that much ammo, be glad that when you drop it, when you pick it up it will still work. If you think your getting ripped off, just pop on over to Alliance Armament, they love your kind there.

Don't drop your full promag to many time or you'll be crying to them too, puss boy.

scott

No one fucked you, pole rider, you just thought you were the coolest mall ninja when you had your new mag. Quite bitching here.

Why did you pay 360 when the highest he sold them for was 240? Maybe you should try to invent something, design the molds to make it, run a test batch to fix the kinks, redo the molds, find the best material, build a website to sell them, then bring it to market, or,,,,,,,, you could just FUCK OFF you cry baby.

Go back to walmart and buy your shit and be happy. Most intelligent people have 2 kinds of things, stuff they now they can trust and take care of and stuff to beat the shit out of and throw away when its destroyed( promag). If you can't afford both. buy the stuff that will last a lifetime and be happy. Yeah 20 rounders are big but if there ever is a time you need that much ammo, be glad that when you drop it, when you pick it up it will still work. If you think your getting ripped off, just pop on over to Alliance Armament, they love your kind there.

Don't drop your full promag to many time or you'll be crying to them too, puss boy.

scott

This one of the most retarded responses I have seen in a long time! I don't care if they sold for $360 or $240, the point was it wasn't a coincidence that the priced dropped once Pro-mag said they were going to sell a drum for the S12, Mike even said that was why he was dropping his prices. So even a fanboy such as yourself can surely see that had ProMag not entered the market you would still be paying whatever MD Arms saw fit to charge you. I have dropped my Promag fully loaded plenty of times and it has yet to break, and no I haven't rolled over it with my truck, but I don't roll over my guns or anything else of value with my truck as a test of their worth. Take a deep breath and don't get so emotionally tied up with your purchases, you act like you and Mike are dating or something!

• Like 2

scott

This one of the most retarded responses I have seen in a long time! I don't care if they sold for $360 or $240, the point was it wasn't a coincidence that the priced dropped once Pro-mag said they were going to sell a drum for the S12, Mike even said that was why he was dropping his prices. So even a fanboy such as yourself can surely see that had ProMag not entered the market you would still be paying whatever MD Arms saw fit to charge you. I have dropped my Promag fully loaded plenty of times and it has yet to break, and no I haven't rolled over it with my truck, but I don't roll over my guns or anything else of value with my truck as a test of their worth. Take a deep breath and don't get so emotionally tied up with your purchases, you act like you and Mike are dating or something!

I'm the retard and you can't get your story straight. Glad you have such a chip about things you may or may not have bought. No shit the price dropped. Oh,,, look ,,the flat screen you bought last year is now selling for half

what you paid, they must be fucking you, oh,, wait,, Apple just released a new iphone and dropped the price of the last model by half, they must be fucking you. I guess supply and demand evades your ever expansive intellect. Maybe you should have said that you're glad that there is more competition more selection and now you can afford more toys for your shotgun. Not that this person is to blame for your decisions, take some responsibility for your decisions and quit being such a baby. Jesus christ, why don't you just blame Obama while your at it for having to pay $500 for a shotgun that most of these guys bought for $200 5 years ago, oh wait...

dont look now, some one is fucking you

scott

say what you mean, mean what you say.

i have 4 md 20, 2 at $240 and 2 at $70. i have 2 promag 12 drums and I love the size. I don't think the material is the best, the price was about 60 when I found them. I wish mike or cameron would make some as well and maybe their price might drop to 50. It was the same with the AGP mags when they came out. A few years ago if you wanted a rail system you paid 400 plus for them, now everyone sells them. Big deal., in the end the consumer wins. Capitalism is what it is, if you make it and no one else does, you set the price. The could have been 350 to 400, some people would have paid it, I can't. Now I have 2 converted saigas and 3 more waiting. Cant afford all the toys right away, but eventually I will have the styles I want. My choices, my decisions.

What ever you do, just don't buy the alliance armament drums. the promag and the md20 may need a little tuning to fit the gun, but the AA drums need your shotgun tuned to work with their drum, not a good idea

now if we can get a magwell and bolt hold open going, that is the next wish list.

Edited by utahhandyman
  • Like 3

scott

I'm the retard and you can't get your story straight. Glad you have such a chip about things you may or may not have bought. No shit the price dropped. Oh,,, look ,,the flat screen you bought last year is now selling for half

what you paid, they must be fucking you, oh,, wait,, Apple just released a new iphone and dropped the price of the last model by half, they must be fucking you. I guess supply and demand evades your ever expansive intellect. Maybe you should have said that you're glad that there is more competition more selection and now you can afford more toys for your shotgun. Not that this person is to blame for your decisions, take some responsibility for your decisions and quit being such a baby. Jesus christ, why don't you just blame Obama while your at it for having to pay $500 for a shotgun that most of these guys bought for $200 5 years ago, oh wait...

scott

Do you act this way in real life or only behind the safety of a computer screen? In Texas a handyman is an acronym for a high school drop out or an illegal alien. Which are you? Lets hear your next rant where you act like a 12 year old.

• Like 1

up here I make 45.00 / hour and haven't lost any work, actually gained more. And an acronym is an abbreviation using the first letter of the group you represent, ie illegal alien would be IA, I think what you wanted was synonym. any way I'm bored..... thanks for playing. Wish the Texans good luck. I'ld say something about Dubya but our politicians are douche bags too. Although I really liked Houston, Austin was cool too. any way.........moving on

scott

Edited by utahhandyman

Do you mean this is the land of China? Because that is what your promag drum is basically. That and maybe assembiled by a bunch of non English speaking immigrants in California... My drum was expensive because I paid an American company to build the molds, not China. I never sold the drum at $360. $260 was my max price and I could have sold them for $360 or more. Think about it... I was not without competion... My competiton sold their peice of garbage for $379. I started selling mine for $165, then $230, and then $260... I could have sold them for $400 and up like other sellers were moving our drums for at the time. I tried to make it where early buyers would have something that went up in value. But Promag did make a cheap ass copy and we had to drop our price. The person to thank is those such as yourself for making such an unpatriotic, shit quality company like promag possible by not being smart enough to not buy their cheap junk. I wouldn't drop that Promag junk too many times if I was you, you don't need to run it over to ruin it I promise... I did want to drop the price of our drum before Promag copied it but didn't on the sole fact that I didn't want to devalue our customers purchases. My only regret is not going ahead and dropping it much sooner as my gut told me to. If I had, Promag likely would have never copied it. Not that they have hurt our sales to much. I have run extensive studies and the best I can tell is we still sell 8 of our drum to 1 of there (their 12 and 20 combined). In reality I really owe thanks to Promag for giving me the excuse to reduce the price of our drum. And you should also note that the drum was our means into the firearm industry. That is the only reason you can now buy the best gas plug for $20, the best grip for $6, the most accurate factory clone flash hider for $30... And it will also be why you can soon buy double stack mags for the price of promags garbage ass stick mags. They won't be coping the double stack though unless they want me to own their shit joke of a company for infringment... Maybe that would be a good thing though because I would turn it around and sell quality instead of their consumer stated cheap junk...

• Like 2

scott

scott

Do you act this way in real life or only behind the safety of a computer screen? In Texas a handyman is an acronym for a high school drop out or an illegal alien. Which are you? Lets hear your next rant where you act like a 12 year old.

Around here Promag means immigrant assembled... What are you supporting? Get a clue or stop bitching about the very things you support...

• Like 2