New guy new saiga 12 question

Hi guys great site. Having trouble with my new gun. FTE on #2 setting with low brass. Gun runs fine with high brass on setting #1. Have vin of 0942XXX. After reading several post I see this may be a common problem. My gun has the 3 holes. I ran a tip wire cleaner through the ports and a paperclip. Do I need to do any other mods to get gun to cycle low brass or after break in do you think it will be ok? I see some of these guns after 4 ports. Does it take 4 ports to cycle low brass? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Look at "breaking it in" first before adding another port. Also, use the search function here and look for posts referring to polishing and reprofiling the bolt carrier, bolt and hammer. Most of that is "stickied". It's really not a big deal (doing the work) after reading all the information that's here. Or, there are people here that will do the work for a fee.

Hi guys great site. Having trouble with my new gun. FTE on #2 setting with low brass. Gun runs fine with high brass on setting #1. Have vin of 0942XXX. After reading several post I see this may be a common problem. My gun has the 3 holes. I ran a tip wire cleaner through the ports and a paperclip. Do I need to do any other mods to get gun to cycle low brass or after break in do you think it will be ok? I see some of these guns after 4 ports. Does it take 4 ports to cycle low brass? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome Harelypap, I had the same problem with my Saiga 12. It was a 3 hole Vodka special and would not cycle low brass on #2 setting either. I sent it to Tom at CGW under warrantee and when it came back, it was throwing brass about five to six feet away. I was able to shoot 1oz. 2 3/4 #7and 8 shot. I ran the gun in one subgun/shotgun match without a problem, shooting 1 1/8oz. 2 3/4 brass #8 shot. If your gun does not function properly after a reasonable break in period, send it to Tom under warrantee. Good luck and have fun.:killer:

Edited by macaholic

More gas = more force to send the carrier rearward to eject the spent hull and load a new round. You sir, are a genius and that was an excellent first post. 4 ports @ .093" has worked well for me.

Don't waste your time or money with the 'high brass break in'.

Just manually cycle the action violently about 500 times and it will do the same thing (next to nothing :lolol: ).

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Thanks guys for the help. Do you think i should make the three ports bigger or ad one more?

I made my 3 that were undersized larger, from .078 to .093-(3/32).

I didn't want to enlarge the hole in the gas block to fit a 4th & I would have had to.

I'd go a little at a time.

Broken carriers from an overgassed gun are a whole new level of a pain in the ass.

I drilled my 08 3 port out to 3/32 yesterday. It would cycle most of the low brass before, but if you didn't give it your shoulder to bang against it might FTE at times. I ran 40 rds through it and shot from the hip. No FTE's at all. It even ran some light ass fiochi shells. Point of story is, I don't believe you need that fourth hole. just giving them a reaming fixed mine right up.