updated side mount question

After converting my Saiga, my low profile AK side mount no longer slides on because I now have a single point sling loop in the way, however, my old side mount can still slide on because it is constructed so that it only clamps onto the bottom of the rail with an approx 3/4 inch section as oppossed to the whole length of the mount as on the other one, this allows it to clear the sling loop and still slide on. I think this is because it is an SVD style mount and the other is an AK style mount. I have read that the SVD mounts dont work well on AK's but it seems to fit tight on my saiga side rail. I just dont like it because its too tall over the dust cover when mounted. So I was thinking about buying another one of those types of mounts except low profile. I don't want to end up with something that doesn't work again and throw 50 bucks away so can anyone clear up some of the differences between these. FYI, I think my side rail is a 74MP-03.......I've attached pictures of everything in question.......thanks a lot

post-28398-0-94615900-1293218966_thumb.jpg

post-28398-0-66963300-1293218989_thumb.jpg

post-28398-0-87351700-1293219014_thumb.jpg

3rd thread on this same subject?

Think about what you're trying to do...the rail mounts slide on from the rear. You've decided to use a stock that blocks the rail. How many manufacturers do you think made a rail for this situation?

Maybe this is the reason why you aren't seeing people with all kinds of helpful suggestions, because maybe the rails work like they are designed and not the way we you seem to be trying to use them.

Honestly I'm not thinking there is an optimal solution for this due to the nature of the design.

Z

Why add yet another thread on this?

There were some suggestions for you in the other thread.

Because threads go dead so quickly when they aren't new, and I wasn't completely satisfied with the responses, although TX-zen had a good one that I didn't see until just now because the reply notification thing didn't work.........anyway, its not a big deal

3rd thread on this same subject?

Think about what you're trying to do...the rail mounts slide on from the rear. You've decided to use a stock that blocks the rail. How many manufacturers do you think made a rail for this situation?

Maybe this is the reason why you aren't seeing people with all kinds of helpful suggestions, because maybe the rails work like they are designed and not the way we you seem to be trying to use them.

Honestly I'm not thinking there is an optimal solution for this due to the nature of the design.

Z

well of course its a rare situation, that's why I resort to a owners forum with thousands of members as oppossed to spending hours browsing online and at gun shows. The third thread was my attempt at being as specific as possible because I sorta missed exactly what I was getting at the first 2 times, plus Im just looking to draw more attention from other members.....I appreciate your advice, but I'm not forcing anyone to view the threads, if the repetitiveness really bothers you, just ignore me, won't hurt my feelings. Thanks for the help so far though

You could always reply to your own thread, it helps keep it tidy and all in one spot.

Unfortunately I have to say, IMO you are looking for a solution that doesn't exist. I have a ton of experience with side rails and I really can't think of anything that's going to solve your issue, because I don't think there is one. Respectfully, I get the impression you don't exactly understand how these rails are designed and thats part of the reason I think you're having this problem.

But as suggested in the other thread you might try one of the US made side mounts that have the screws on the bottom instead of a locking lever, it might be possible to get one of those to work because they are not exactly the same as Russian side mounts. All the ones I've seen first hand have been airsoft related of dubious quality but it might be possible to make one work. I can't say because I don't have one either.

Z

There is a solution but your probably not going to like it. Get another stock if you want to run side mount optics. If you have your heart set on that stock and don't want want to buzz the sling mount off you now have a worthless hunk of metal hanging from the side of your receiver.

Tim Heffron version 3.0 mount from Kalinka. It lacks the slide stop found on other mounts, and can be slid on from either direction. It has a single 30mm ring that will fit that Bushnell you are running, though you will have to cant the sight a small amount to get it to fit because of the square middle section. I use this mount on my SAR 1 with a Bushnell red dot. It cowitnesses, though I had to shim the mount to get it perfectly centered and raise the front sight post a little to get it where I wanted it. I can get the dust cover off without removing the mount.

The bad news is that it's $100, and a lot of people don't like it. It works fine for me.

On the rifle:

308grous003.jpg?t=1293731529

Edited by Dudethebagman

Not having a stop is not a good idea. The stop not only locates the clamping area properly, but also takes some of the loading from front/back forces.

One idea- you could always take a current or future side mount and remove the stop pin, drill and tap and install a hex bolt etc. That way you could slide it on from the front past the end, install your preferred hardware stop, push forward and then clamp.

Simple to do and should be easy to use real world.

Not having a stop is not a good idea. The stop not only locates the clamping area properly, but also takes some of the loading from front/back forces.

I agree with you in theory. In practice, that mount has held zero with the red dot I'm running on it. It may have to do with the latching mechanism, which both clamps the mount tighter vertically via the threads, and also has a cam that clamps the mount tighter laterally. The cam fits into the notch in the middle of the scope rail, and seems to function as a stop. That being said, I'm not sure I'd trust it to hold on a 308 with a heavy scope.

One idea- you could always take a current or future side mount and remove the stop pin, drill and tap and install a hex bolt etc. That way you could slide it on from the front past the end, install your preferred hardware stop, push forward and then clamp.

Simple to do and should be easy to use real world.

Good idea.