How are the Saiga-12's right out of the box..without all the mods?

I got mine Christmas day, oiled her up and went and shot close to 80 rounds with a 1/2 doz fte's I myself don't like the stock magazine. seems rather difficult to install. That might be solved by only loading 4 into her though..... I myself knew I would have 2k invested when I bought her though......

Addition: Hello to all the members here. I'm loving the threads. lots of great info and tuturials.

You can refer to me as Glug for short....

I got mine Christmas day, oiled her up and went and shot close to 80 rounds with a 1/2 doz fte's I myself don't like the stock magazine. seems rather difficult to install. That might be solved by only loading 4 into her though..... I myself knew I would have 2k invested when I bought her though......

Addition: Hello to all the members here. I'm loving the threads. lots of great info and tuturials.

You can refer to me as Glug for short....

+1

I got mine a couple weeks ago, and I havent put a single shell down the tube :unsure:

My bolt and FCG are with Cobra to work his magic. I also just got in a package from Carolina Shooters with $500 worth of goodies. Even though I haven't shot mine, I've shot a buddies factory Saiga 12 enough to know when I finally got one, I wanted it to be converted.

I myself don't like the stock magazine. seems rather difficult to install. That might be solved by only loading 4 into her though..... I myself knew I would have 2k invested when I bought her though......

It can be a bit of a pain to load on a closed bolt, but it's very possible with a little practice. There is also a rock and lock guide sold by CSS that makes loading on a closed bolt easier. Also, if you have your bolt/carrier modified and polished, it becomes a lot easier to load on as closed bolt as well.

I'm just about ready to dive in and buy my firs S12. The thing that keeps holding me back is that after reading through all of the forum posts, and trying to learn as much as possible.....it seems like they are a lot of work and money to get them running right. How do they run/function right out of the box? Are they reliable?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how much time, labor, and money it's going to cost me to make one that is reliable and a good shooter. Is it manditory to do all of the mods I've been seeing (conversion, FCG mod, enlarging gas ports, changing the gas plug,polishing the carrier......on and on)?

Do any of you guys just keep them the way they come out of the box and not do all of those mods, and spend all of that extra money on them. I would like a reliable, fun to shoot, $450 semi-auto 12ga........not sure I want to have to put another $500+ in it + time to do the mods.

Any info would be great!!

Thanks

Obviously, it seems to depend on the particular gun you get as to whether it needs any work to run reliably or not. I put a bit of oil on mine, racked the slide a few times and went out and started blasting away. I've ran 300 rounds of low brass through it and haven't had any problems at all. In fact, I haven't ran any buckshot or slugs yet although I plan to soon. I figure if it'll handle the low power loads, the high will be a non-issue.

As to ergonomics, the stock import simply can't match a converted gun but does that mean you have to convert? Absolutely not. I'll be converting mine now that I've done my 223 but that's because I want to, not because I have to. If you want to run it as is there's nothing keeping it from being a fun gun with zero mods. Enjoy.

Well, the more I read on the S12's...the more I want one. Is the best deal going on them still around $500.....or are they going cheaper ?

GLUG:

OK. Before you buy your own S-12, let us know in which state you reside. Perhaps some good soul will allow you to shoot their Saiga. Then you can decide if the gun is for you. Also, you can look at what they did to get their gun running. Armed with how to check ports and such, you may be able to pick the better S-12 from the get-go.

You may want to keep the gun stock for a while until you have sufficient funds, that's OK. Please peruse the photos of other builds. Decide what you like and plan accordingly.

-Michael