Got a new Saiga 223 AR Mag Adaptor...

First let me say this thing is CLEAN and very well made..

Heres some opening pics.. of the MSA Saiga 223 Adaptor..

post-8775-0-28884000-1293491172_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-37701000-1293491179_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-37623200-1293491191_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-84807100-1293491196_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-50194500-1293491209_thumb.jpg

These pics show how the mag release can be used ambidextrious if needed.. :super:

post-8775-0-72242000-1293491242_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-06693500-1293491248_thumb.jpg

This pic shows the DEPTH of the mag 'catch'...

post-8775-0-13930000-1293491253_thumb.jpg

As a note MSA now has these in-stock.. he shipped this one within 1 week of me ordering.. :super:

Things are shaping up for them over there..

Al

• Like 1

Looks great Al. The pics don't do it justice actually. Hey just a tip... if you want you can also use the same adapter in your 5.45x39 Saiga, or even the 7.62 x 39. C Products has some really affordable mags for ARs in both those calibers.

Looks great Al. The pics don't do it justice actually. Hey just a tip... if you want you can also use the same adapter in your 5.45x39 Saiga, or even the 7.62 x 39. C Products has some really affordable mags for ARs in both those calibers.

didn't know that.. so any (per se') AR15 mag calibers that are the same size as the Saiga 762x39 or 5.45x39 calibers can also use the SAME adaptor.. that is AWESOME.. IMHO.. :super:

Maybe MSA will come up with a DPMS 308 'mag adaptor' (like this one) that will fit into my Saiga 308.. then I can 'cross' use those mags too.

Al

Well if anyone plans on installing this themselves..

I would say use an ENDMILL or something like it as not to damage your trunnions and such.. :cryss:

Some have also trimmed the WALL down a little bit to get it to fit without sooo much trunnion grinding/cutting/heating..

Again if you are UNSURE send it off to a qualified firearms 'smith' for install..

As I study this more I will post more actual tips.. stay tuned..

Albert

Apparently so.. you have to buy AR mags that are for the 762x39 (obviously).

This is good for folks with AR's in 762x39 uppers and such..

I'll stick with the .223/5.56 idea though.. till I get other reports with 762x39's and such..

Al

• 2 weeks later...
or even the 7.62 x 39. C Products has some really affordable mags for ARs in both those calibers.

Why in the world would any want to use 7.62x39 AR mags in the place of AK mags? x39 AR mags are notorious for their issues. An AR adapter might well make a lot sense for some users in other calibers but I would never go to AR mags for 7.62x39. It would be a huge step back in reliability and makes basically no sense from an economic standpoint either.

or even the 7.62 x 39. C Products has some really affordable mags for ARs in both those calibers.

Why in the world would any want to use 7.62x39 AR mags in the place of AK mags? x39 AR mags are notorious for their issues. An AR adapter might well make a lot sense for some users in other calibers but I would never go to AR mags for 7.62x39. It would be a huge step back in reliability and makes basically no sense from an economic standpoint either.

It doesnt make sense to use one on a 5.45x39 AK either, when Bulgarian surplus mags can be had for less then $10.

Some AR guys have the uppers for those calibers.. so a universal type adaptor can't really hurt.. IMHO..

But, I'll still stick with the 223/5.56 MSA Adaptor for my purposes.

If you live in certain BAN states the 10 round AR mags may be easier to come by in the 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 flavors though.

Some AR guys have the uppers for those calibers.. so a universal type adaptor can't really hurt.. IMHO.

yeah that is where we learned that 7.62x39 rounds have a geometry problem when you start trying to feed them through a magazine that will insert in an AR magwell. The mags are probably the number one reason those uppers aren't terribly popular. The fact that getting x39 to function through an AR magazine well has been such a challenge is perhaps part of why a whole new round the 300 black out was developed (it has more or less x39 ballistics) for the AR. When people will go to the effort to create a whole new round and when people will buy a rare round over something as widely available as the 7.62x39 it tells you there just might be an issue.

Even if I had a x39 AR and a stack of mags I would would not be butchering my trunion to be able to use those mags. I wouldn't do it even I had the mags, and had the adapter on hand already (say for a 5.56 rifle).

As to availability of 10 round mags, ten rounders can be had for less than C product AR mags. Significantly better mags, such as US palm, can be bought in 10 round versions the cost more, but 1) they are IMHO better quality more durable mags than the C products mags and 2) you can buy a number of them for $150. If you are in need of pre ban mags I really don't know what the availability of AK vs AR mags would be and the price points of each (I don't live in a state with such silly gun laws).

Perhaps there is some odd very unique circumstance in which it might actually be worth considering but for most people it really isn't a very good idea at all.