brand new saiga already has rust :O

img0470pq.jpg

I field stripped my new rifle completely for the first time today, its never been fired by me and hasn't been presumably since it left Russia and i was shocked to see what looks like rust in the gas tube! there's little specks of rust like that all through the tube, and im not very happy about seeing rust in a brand new gun. i'm thinking of taking a bore brush and scrubbing the inside of that tube with CLP. is this normal for saigas?

I field stripped my new rifle completely for the first time today, its never been fired by me and hasn't been presumably since it left Russia and i was shocked to see what looks like rust in the gas tube! there's little specks of rust like that all through the tube, and im not very happy about seeing rust in a brand new gun. i'm thinking of taking a bore brush and scrubbing the inside of that tube with CLP. is this normal for saigas?

No. Sounds like some drunk factory worker fired the wrong ammo in your gun to test? Anyhow, if that's the only place with rust, I wouldn't give it another thought. Clean it up and keep rolling, or buy a new gas tube for $10-$15 from someone on the forum. But weren't you going with a standard AK gas tube anyhow?

Welcome to the world of AK's, the gas tube is the foulest part of the weapon. Not normal for a brand new rifle but entirely common for AK's that get shot alot. My SLR105 looks like that pretty quickly, so does one of my SGL's

CLP and scrubbing will take care of it, I leave the gas tube lubed up while in storage.

Z

No. Sounds like some drunk factory worker fired the wrong ammo in your gun to test? Anyhow, if that's the only place with rust, I wouldn't give it another thought. Clean it up and keep rolling, or buy a new gas tube for $10-$15 from someone on the forum. But weren't you going with a standard AK gas tube anyhow?

yeah it doesnt really matter the part will be replaced soon, I Just thought it wasn't a good sign to be finding rust already in a part of the weapon. from what i can tell that is the only place with rust, cant see any in the barrel but its very difficult to see down.

yeah it doesnt really matter the part will be replaced soon, I Just thought it wasn't a good sign to be finding rust already in a part of the weapon. from what i can tell that is the only place with rust, cant see any in the barrel but its very difficult to see down.

Run a couple of patches with CLP through the barrel and observe what comes out on the patch. Also, does the gas block look good? Since the barrel and the gas block are both chrome-lined, they are not likely to have rust, even if the gas tube does.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Run a couple of patches with CLP through the barrel and observe what comes out on the patch. Also, does the gas block look good? Since the barrel and the gas block are both chrome-lined, they are not likely to have rust, even if the gas tube does.

the gas block looks fine

I'd go ahead and check the barrel. Even the gas block will clean up OK from that little bit of rust, but I'd be upset about a pre-rusted barrel.

i think thats just greases in the gas block a patch just took some of that brown stuff off, i had myself worried for a minute though

im actually out of patches now i need to go buy some more, i was using optics patches to whipe down the gas tube and block so the barrel cleaning will have to wait

Edited by sharkforce

A possible scenaio is Izmash was sitting on a lot of these rifles until they found a new importer. 5.45 have been scarce for awhile. Maybe they test fired with corrosive ammo and it just sat for an extra ordinate amount of time.

A possible scenaio is Izmash was sitting on a lot of these rifles until they found a new importer. 5.45 have been scarce for awhile. Maybe they test fired with corrosive ammo and it just sat for an extra ordinate amount of time.

That's a pretty good theory, although it need not have been ammo that was explicitly corrosive, as even Wolf can be _mildly_ corrosive. (See here: http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=7987.msg0).

That's a pretty good theory, although it need not have been ammo that was explicitly corrosive, as even Wolf can be _mildly_ corrosive. (See here: http://7.62x54r.net/...topic=7987.msg0).

Has to be the best thread I have read all day.

Mine was the same as well which i also got from CSS. Doesn't really bother me. Its a fucking AK and your going to be shooting corrosive ammo. My AK is going to be a work horse and i'm going to beat it like redheaded stepchild.

yep same here, i have 1982 russian 7n6 to feed it at the range.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI, the inside of my gas block is painted black.

+1 I paint the insides of all my Gas Blocks & Tubes with high heat BBQ paint to help slow or eliminate any possible corrosion that may come about...

I did not paint mine, it came that way. :unsure: