Ok I opened up my gas ports.

I just got done, what a breeze. I got lucky I guess, everything came apart without any trouble at all.

I drifted out the pins and just tapped off the block with a small brass drift. The files I had worked great to open up the block also no problem.

Then I drilled the bbl with a 5/64, only one was a bit tight. After that I drilled them with the 3/32 and that seemed like it might as well have been 3/16 :lolol: , it just seemed huge, but again no problems.

After that I cleaned everything up and reassembled and test fired. I had one 10rnd AGP and one 12rnd Surefire loaded with fed 1 1/8 wallyloads.

I fired one round from the AGP with my MD plug on 5 and got a good clean ejection, then for the hell of it tried it on 4 and got FTE. Cleared that and set it back to 5 finishing off the rest of the mag. Then my Son emptied the Surefire all good clean ejections.

It was ejecting 97-99% of the time before, with all shells at 2 o'clock, 2 feet out, now it is ejecting shells at 1 o'clock to over 4 feet.

So what do you guys think?:ph34r:

Sounds good.

You don't want it ejecting the really weak stuff on the restrictive settings, otherwise you're overgassed with the strong stuff.

Glad it worked out. :up:

Thats kinda what I was thinking and looking in the block while it was off and threading the plug in to where it would be, I could see that 4 was about half of what 5 is. I suppose I'd better try some buck and slug next, the only buck I have is S&B 00 and from what I can tell they aren't much more than the fed target rounds I have as far as weight and powder, I think they're low recoil.

I knew you had a pair :ph34r: It is amazing what slightly larger ports will do.... time for a garbage ammo dump video :smoke:

ETA: Also, thank you for not doing the "shelf bracket" method :rolleyes: I doubt many gunsmiths have a set of shelf brackets in the arsenal of tools, but I'll wager that most of them have a brass drift. Well done.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I fired one round from the AGP with my MD plug on 5 and got a good clean ejection, then for the hell of it tried it on 4 and got FTE. Cleared that and set it back to 5 finishing off the rest of the mag. Then my Son emptied the Surefire all good clean ejections.

It was ejecting 97-99% of the time before, with all shells at 2 o'clock, 2 feet out, now it is ejecting shells at 1 o'clock to over 4 feet.

So what do you guys think?:ph34r:

This is wonderful. Congratulations!!!!

I have the exact same setting on my gas plug as you for function.

In fact I did the exact same thing as you by "accident" starting on setting #4. I had the exact same results. This is cool.

My S12 ejects the same distance and in the same direction of 1:00 AFTER opening up my gas ports.

Now with more gas coming in you will feel it more too, as in recoil. I noticed it just a tiny bit more but not much.

Oh yes, check your rear trunnion. Make a mental note as to how it looks and then check it later.

As time goes by you may be able to turn back down to setting #4. Mine was about 97-99% on setting #4 on my first try after opening up my ports. So I know it wants try to run on that setting.

Best

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

I don't think you want the light stuff to be able to run the gun on setting 4. After looking into the block while it was off and having the plug in, you can see that 4 is almost cutting the opening in half from setting 5.