saiga sniper

OK FOLKS WHEN I REFER TO SNIPER I MEAN SHOOTING OVER 250 YARDS!!!

LET THERE BE NO DOUBT HERE, THIS IS NOT A "WHAT IF I HAD TO TAKE SOMEONE OUT AT 250 yards" THING. THIS IS A "LONGER RANGED SHOOTING" THING.

With that said, I am planning on turning my saiga .223 into a sniper-setup (please hold your laughter). I am looking for advice on a scope, bipod, and perhaps a replacement stock - NOT A DAMNED PISTOL GRIP, but a more comfortable stock!

My wants are:

-a scope made for the .223 round (like that rubber armoured one everyone advertises), with drop compensation, etc.

-a scope with a mil-dot reticle, prefereably

-A bipod that doesn't have to attch to the barrel

I am a big fan of quality scopes, so I would sta away from the chap rubber armored ones that everyone has for $49. I am also not a fan of mil-dots, as I have seen too many people waste too much time figuring stuff out.

I think your best bet for a scope without spending a lot is probably a POSP 6x with the built in rangefinder for 5.45 x 39, which out to 250- 300 meters is close enough to the 223 to get reliable hits. With a rangefinder reticule, the determination of distance is intuitive and rapid. Mildots can be rapid too - with a lot of practice. It is interesting that the foremost consultant to police department SW teams, Maj. John Plaster, USA Ret., only recommends mildots as a third choice. His top choice is a numbered range finding reticule, now that the Redfield Accu-trac is out of production.

As to bipods, there are several choices. I have tried most of them, and I keep coming back to the Versa-pod, which is a cheap knock-off of the Parker-Hale bipod. the P-H is considerred by many to be the ultimate bipod, but it costs roughly 5x what a Versa-pod costs.

BTW, I think you get much better trigger control with a pistol grip.

• 2 weeks later...

scope help, go to dsaarms.com u can get a dragonuv recticle for about 270, bullet drop comensated for 62 gr 223 bullets, get the mount from k-var industries, i got it on my 223 vepr damn good combo, cost alittle more but worth, that scope is rated for out to 600meters, they also have nato reticle in same scope so up to , good luck,