I have heard that with the TT-33 Tokarev pistols you have to be careful, as the hotter 7.62 x 25 that was produced later for the SMG's will tear the pistols apart. Apparently the CZ52 is fine with the hotter ammo though. Never fired either, but I do want a CZ52.

• Like 1

I have heard that with the TT-33 Tokarev pistols you have to be careful, as the hotter 7.62 x 25 that was produced later for the SMG's will tear the pistols apart. Apparently the CZ52 is fine with the hotter ammo though. Never fired either, but I do want a CZ52.

Everywhere Ive read said the hot 25 is ok but Ill check more into it.

They're cool but overall I would say look for a Makarov instead. But what the hell, they're both cheap so buy both.

I I like the mak too but can only get one for the time bing so Ill get the tok first, plus the round intrigues me.

I have a Yugo M57. Fun gun to shoot and quite accurate. 7.62x25 is a stinger of a round for sure. Makes a nice fireball too. :super:

Another good thing is mil-surp ammo for 7.62 Tok can be had for very cheap. Alot of this ammo has super hard primers though, and sometimes requires a second primer strike. I've heard this happens to one degree or another with pretty much all variants of Tok pistols. (which is fine if your just plinking) This is not an issue with newer production commercial ammo however,at least not in my experience.

I recently picked up a hand-selected Zastava M57 from J&G Sales. I seemed like it's never been fired. The M57 is one of the last 7.62x25 mm pistols designed and produced and is likely the best. The design is very close to TT, with the major difference being a longer grip, with 9 round mag capacity and 1 piece main spring assembly. The mags are proprietary and are hard to find, but high quality US copies are now sold at a decent price. Any way, it's a neat little piece.

By the way, that common belief that the CZ-52 is somehow better able to withstand hot loads seems to be based on nothing:

http://www.bobtuley.com/cz-52/

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Watched my range master hit a 12" steel plate at 300 yards with his CZ 52. Put a nice divot in the plate too. I know it sounds like bullshit even though I saw it happen it's still hard to believe myself. I'm a bit weary of some of the surplus rounds, I saw a lot of split casings all over the range from the Tokarev.

Watched my range master hit a 12" steel plate at 300 yards with his CZ 52. Put a nice divot in the plate too. I know it sounds like bullshit even though I saw it happen it's still hard to believe myself. I'm a bit weary of some of the surplus rounds, I saw a lot of split casings all over the range from the Tokarev.

The Yugoslavian surplus rounds that J&G has right now are from 1986 and are pristine. Hitting a plate at 300 yards and leaving a mark on it seems almost physically impossible.

Honestly I would not doubt it. Hickok45 can sit there and ring a gong at 230 yards with a Glock 27, 23, and a .44 magnum, so I am sure 300 could be done.

Does that mean you want to grab a pistol for 300 yard shooting? Of course not, but for marksmanship/fun what the hell, if you can shoot that well, why not?

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

The Yugoslavian surplus rounds that J&G has right now are from 1986 and are pristine. Hitting a plate at 300 yards and leaving a mark on it seems almost physically impossible.

Its very doable. I have hit a man size steel target at those distances with my TT

• Like 1

Its very doable. I have hit a man size steel target at those distances with my TT

I was shooting some .25" thick steel gongs from 100 yards last week. The hits barely registered (as far as sound and movement), making me think that the round has very little energy left at that range. The gongs very badly shot up and full of connecting holes tho... maybe that's why. There seem to a lot of guys shooting at these things with magnum caliber rifles at my range, as neither 7.62 mm Soviet, 7.62 mm Russian or .308 makes much of a dent in these thing. LOL

Personally, I can hardly see 12" plates from 300 yards with my 30 something eyes any more. When I shoot my Saigas at them, I sort of have to guess as to their exact position, unless I am using magnified glass.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Personally, I can hardly see 12" plates from 300 yards with my 30 something eyes any more. When I shoot my Saigas at them, I sort of have to guess as to their exact position, unless I am using magnified glass.

Yeah that's the most impressive thing to me about shots like Hickok does. Not only is a typical gong at 300 yards just a speck, he's standing up, not shouldering the weapon (obviously since it's a pistol) but most of all typical pistol sights will be several times larger than the target itself at that range.

I got 3 of the Romanian ones! That's how good I think they are.

The lockup between slides and receivers is very tight. The barrels are chrome lined. The triggers break after a little take up around 4 lbs (read - treat it as a 2 Stage and you will be very accurate). It is based on John Browning's Model 1903 and is similar to a very slim 1911. Kick is about equivalent to a 9mm with just a little snap to it and is very manageable.

The Romanian Tokarevs are really, really cheap to shoot (Polish Surplus costs about 9 cents a round shipped from J&G), accurate (can get them touching at 5 yards for 5-10 shots), and historically fun to collect.

The surplus ammo you can buy in bulk right now is fine through the gun and goes around 1,400 - 1,500 FPS and is very, very flat shooting for a pistol. The only drawback is it is mildly corrosive. I have put about 1,400 rounds through the first one I bought and over 300 in each of the others without any jamming or FTF's. Not too shabby for both guns and ammo that were made in 1953-1955! Be aware that the Polish and Bulgarian surplus ammo will penetrate through just about everything as it has a steel jacket under the copper FMJ.

Wolf JHP's only penetrate around 12 inches of ballistics gel which is ideal for self defense (according to Brass Fetcher's website). They are harder to find, but February, there will be another shipment from Wolf.

I added the Romanian Tokarev to my CCW and so did my wife. Even as just a collectible range toy it is a great training gun that you can shoot for the same price as premium .22 ammo. It is literally half the cost of cheap 9mm. Plus when the cheap surplus runs dry, Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, PRVI Partizan & Winchester make reloadable ammo for it that is non-corrosive(at a cost of $12-$25/box of 50 online).

$240 is about market price for gun shops and GunBroker on these right now. If they are in good shape, I would get at least 1! What other gun for under $250 can you shoot a load with the same kinetic energy as a 40 S&W for the same price as CCI MiniMags?

No complaints with my Yugo M57, except the sights are off, and one mag has to be slapped in pretty hard to lock up. Both easily remedied. At $.10/shot you can't beat that bang for the buck. I'll be getting a pps-43 one day too. 35 rounds per mag and a 10.5" barrel will wake that little round up! I'm going to put a 16.5" barrel on, so I can use the fold out stock.

I have a Russian Tokarev 7.62 that I brought home from SEA in 1962. It had seen a lot of wear before our houseboy at Bien Hoa sold it to me for $25 in MPC just before I left the country. I have fired it a bit over the 49 years I have had it, never at long range...usually 25-50 yards at water jugs and other breakable items. As commented above somewhere it does have a nice fireball and very loud report, Not for urban shooting if noise will be an issue.

Edited by Mayor Al

I got 3 of the Romanian ones! That's how good I think they are.

The lockup between slides and receivers is very tight. The barrels are chrome lined. The triggers break after a little take up around 4 lbs (read - treat it as a 2 Stage and you will be very accurate). It is based on John Browning's Model 1903 and is similar to a very slim 1911. Kick is about equivalent to a 9mm with just a little snap to it and is very manageable.

The Romanian Tokarevs are really, really cheap to shoot (Polish Surplus costs about 9 cents a round shipped from J&G), accurate (can get them touching at 5 yards for 5-10 shots), and historically fun to collect.

The surplus ammo you can buy in bulk right now is fine through the gun and goes around 1,400 - 1,500 FPS and is very, very flat shooting for a pistol. The only drawback is it is mildly corrosive. I have put about 1,400 rounds through the first one I bought and over 300 in each of the others without any jamming or FTF's. Not too shabby for both guns and ammo that were made in 1953-1955! Be aware that the Polish and Bulgarian surplus ammo will penetrate through just about everything as it has a steel jacket under the copper FMJ.

Wolf JHP's only penetrate around 12 inches of ballistics gel which is ideal for self defense (according to Brass Fetcher's website). They are harder to find, but February, there will be another shipment from Wolf.

I added the Romanian Tokarev to my CCW and so did my wife. Even as just a collectible range toy it is a great training gun that you can shoot for the same price as premium .22 ammo. It is literally half the cost of cheap 9mm. Plus when the cheap surplus runs dry, Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, PRVI Partizan & Winchester make reloadable ammo for it that is non-corrosive(at a cost of $12-$25/box of 50 online).

$240 is about market price for gun shops and GunBroker on these right now. If they are in good shape, I would get at least 1! What other gun for under $250 can you shoot a load with the same kinetic energy as a 40 S&W for the same price as CCI MiniMags?

So you like them?:super:

My shop had a really good looking Romanian tok for the last few weeks, 2 mags and hoslter for $199. I went the other day to pick it up and it was sold.

When I come across another one Im going to scoop it up

Edited by GREYLUPO

So you like them?:super:

My shop had a really good looking Romanian tok for the last few weeks, 2 mags and hoslter for $199. I went the other day to pick it up and it was sold.

When I come across another one Im going to scoop it up

Southern Ohio Gun is where I got mine. I have a C&R which is well worth the $30 for 3 years to have them shipped to your door! SOG is the only one with the Century imported Romanian ones in stock other than getting one through GB or other auction website for more. The Yugo 57's are plentiful right now, but magazines are going to be pricy!

The Yugo 57's are plentiful right now, but magazines are going to be pricy!

You can modify CZ-52 magazines to fit the Yugo.

Per: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?163480-Yugo-M57-tokarev-alternate-magazine-option&p=1265107#post1265107

CZ52 mags seems to be about $22 + shipping these days. You can get high quality American made M57 mags for $33 (shipped) from CCSA. The Yugo is the way to go, IMO. It's the newest and most ergonomic out of all 7.62x25 mm pistol. I just put a S&W Sigma slip-on rubber grip on mine. Very comfy.

• Like 1