Another tactical 5.45 conversion (yes, anyone can do it!)

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for sharing your experience and your encouragement (personal thanks and credits to Classy K, NinerRider, TX-Zen, and many others).

After careful consideration and being influenced by Suarez Intl videos, I've decided to go for modernized tactical conversion, something I wish I had when in service.

Briefly: yes, anyone can do it, even without having drill press, etc.

Use your common sense and research on topic (this thread is classic, but somewhat outdated for 5.45 and BHO; nevertheless, it's a "must read").

http://www.cross-con...iga_Conversion/

Speaking of supplies and suppliers: I was very pleased with Carolina Shooter's Supply, Krebs and Dinzag.

K-VAR shipping is in transit.

922r parts are top-notch quality.

Tapco folder, FCG, Ultimac rail are on par with Russian original stuff.

BTW, Tapco folder is much better looking in life, than in the pictures.

Installation was a breeze, fit is very good to excellent (no trimming/modifications needed in my case).

I smoothed some sharp edges at the hinge. Pin made out of steel.

It's tough, very well made, and locks without any wobble at all.

I really like Saiga's handguard, and decided to follow Classy K's case of trimming it for Ultimak with Dremmel.

Personally, I found that wood cutting wheel and low speed works the best, as plastic doesn't melt.

USE SAFETY GOGGLES, take your time and be patient.

I used Locktite Blue thread locker (purchased at Lowe's Home Center) for all threaded connection (PG, TG, Ultimak, etc).

Going slow and taking one step at the time will take the stress out and get the job done right.

Make a checklist of parts and supplies and organize your work area. Make sure you have a good lighting (overhead light suggested).

Clean up the space around, just in case you drop small part(s) (thankfully, not my case, but I've had extra disconnect spring on hand).

Have few terry towels to rest the rifle on to protect receiver from scratches.

Overall, everything was pretty easy.

I wanted to keep BHO lever, and placing its spring back was the major pain, but still very "do-able" (I let short leg through the release hole in receiver, inserted the punch from RHS through the spring loop, and then pushed the trigger pin all the way through the loop). Then I pushed the spring's short "leg" upwards through the bottom side hole along the BHO plate, and hooked onto the lever.

BTW, set of dental picks (brass recommended) will make this job a breeze!

"Naked" receiver bottom was painted with Dupli-Color's Low-Gloss black Engine Enamel: just a perfect match to original paint.

I also recommend a bottle of touch-up in low-gloss for future minor fixes.

Use quality masking tape while painting; cover major exposed area with plastic trash bag or foil.

Stage One is complete and "shootable".

Stage Two will add Bulgarian FSB and zig-zag MB, side rail for zoom optics. Ultimak rail-based Red Dot is on order (iron sights will be clear to see with side scope mount).

Bulgarian and Dinzag's Bullet Guides are in transit; I will select the best fit, once arrived. Dinzag's is coming as a kit with drill bit, tap and screw.

Will be posting updates as I go.

Like one huge sports equipment company says: "Just Do It!".

Have fun!

post-28515-0-63401900-1293898747_thumb.jpg

UPDATE 1 (Returned from the Range):

Took it to the local range yesterday (no BG yet). Started with Saiga mag: no issues at all. Nice and light trigger pull; will be learning it as I go. Trying to find the reset point vs. full let go. I like it.

Tapco mags were locking in secure, no wobble. 1 out of 3 mags gave me some minor issues: was harder to insert and kept last round from releasing.

Today will compare it to other 2.

Nevertheless, no other issues.

100 rounds through. Ultimak got warm, but not too hot to worry about the optics on it.

Saiga HG feels warmer than AK's original wood, but not uncomfortable.

Can't wait to put an optics on!

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1

My core Parts List (before FSB/MB, Scope Mount, sling, etc):

TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ROUNDED", TGUARD-ROUNDED, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 17.95, Website

TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS, 6PLUGS, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 1.00, Website

TRIGGER GROUP-TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP, TRX-TRIGGER-GROUP, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 45.00, Website

KCI TRIGGER PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR AK RIFLES, CATALOG NUMBER 22, Krebs, $ 10.50 , Website

Bullet Guide Kit Round Trunnion, 545RTK, Dinzag Arms, $ 25.00 , Website

(OR)

Bulgarian Bullet Guide, Fits to 5.45 cal, AK-545BG, K-Var, $ 14.70 , Website

GRIP AK/SAIGA MOLOT STYLE, MD-GRIP, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 12.00 , Website

GRIP AK/SAIGA GRIP SCREW AND BUSHING SET, GRIP-SCREW/BUSHING, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 6.95 , Website

RECOIL BUFFER-SAIGA SHOTGUNS, RIFLES, AK47, AK-BUFFER , Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 9.95 , Website

SCOPE MOUNT-SAIGA AK47 RAILED GAS TUBE, RAILED GAS TUBE, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 89.95 , Website

AK74 5.45X39 SAIGA RIFLE 30RD MAGAZINE, TAPCO-5.45MAG , Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 14.95 , Website

SIGHT ADJUSTMENT TOOL AK47 SAIGA, UTG-SIGHTTOOL, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 9.95 , Website

TAPCO FOLDING STOCK BLACK, BLK-FOLDING-STOCK, Carolina Shooter's Supply, $ 32.99 , Website

Edited by Sgt. Raven

RE: Bipod.

This is UTG, and I've got it from Amazon.

It's TL-BP08S, 9-11" in height, "Universal Foldable Clamp-on Bipod ".

Originally I've got it for Ruger 10/22, but it fits both well.

However, with Saiga/AK recoil, clamp tends to loosen up, and bipod gets wobbly.

Not a big deal, still, but I will order another one with Picatinny mount (add-on rails for HG are on order).

I'd recommend rail-mounted.

Here is their product line:

http://www.leapers.c...=bipod&mtrack=m

Nevertheless, overall build quality is very good to excellent.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

very nice, what is the length of the rifle when folded , thanks

(EDITED)

It's 27" folded as it is now.

<<<I'll measure once at home and edit this post.

I think it's just under 33 in folded.

I've got this case (36") and it fits well, even with side rail and scope, and still have about 3" room in it.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product >>>

post-28515-0-50811300-1294433387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 2 weeks later...

Bullet guide and Bulgie FSB and MB ("zigzag") are in.

Removal/installation was easier than thought and feared.

I used angle grinder for bulk material removal on both sides of the Saiga FSB, right across the dimples, and followed with Dremmel.

Used household-grade cross-generated laser for new FSB alignment, plus fine Sharpie markings for backup.

Drilling notches into the barrel required a lot of patience (and good drill bits).

I decided to go with roll pins.

That's about it, folks!

post-28515-0-13329800-1295267260_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

very nice, what is the length of the rifle when folded , thanks

(EDITED)

It's 27" folded as it is now.

<<<I'll measure once at home and edit this post.

I think it's just under 33 in folded.

I've got this case (36") and it fits well, even with side rail and scope, and still have about 3" room in it.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product >>>

I hope you enjoy your new rifle. I suggest obtaining some of the Eastern Europe poly mags (such as Circle 10s) that have been tested and approved on various battlefields for over 30 years. They would be a significant upgrade over the Tapco mag.

I hope you enjoy your new rifle. I suggest obtaining some of the Eastern Europe poly mags (such as Circle 10s) that have been tested and approved on various battlefields for over 30 years. They would be a significant upgrade over the Tapco mag.

Thanks, Jim!

Will definitely try, as I have enough 922r point.

Tapco mags sits tight, but 1 out of 3 giving me troubles from the start: loads only 29 rounds, and jams on the last round.

I am not too happy about.

(I've used Soviet orange bakelites in the past troubles-free; should stick to original).

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...