Steel 30 RD Bulgarian mags from aimsurplus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chugo - Chinese Mags imported as Yugo Mags. I like this!   Used in a sentence by Scarface: When chugo to the gunstore to get some magazines, mang?

yeah sal, i was confused by that statement. thnks for the clear up.       some say they received some funky ones, but aim's customer service is good enough you could probably just exchange them.

Its not too bad at all. It should take about 15-30 minutes depending on how careful and patient you go with it.   I used a file with the rounded side and flat side on the opposite side. I felt a squ

Posted Images

These mags were inexpensive so I figured screw it, I've always wanted a Junglè style magazine, so I did it lol

f2787d04.jpg

Your tape technique is unacceptable. If you want to make a so called "jungle-magazine-configuration" please make each end only stick out a few inches so as to minimize the over all footprint of the joint magazines. Here is an example of the proper use of tape to create a low profile:

img0088ns.jpg

Please remove your tape and try again to avoid fail.... :blues:

NICE VZ58 pic, SAL!

• Like 1

From the alternate thread on the same subject.

Never met a mil-surp com-block mag I didn't like!

OK there is a lot of confusion surrounding these magazines so I want to clear some things up.

1: These are commercial magazines. They are actually a few mm thinner than surplus mags.

2: They are shipped with commercial followers.

3: They are welded (not glued like the Korean commercial units) and thus are useful as RANGE MAGS ONLY....

That being said, I would pay the extra $1 for the chinese ribless steel.

Good luck guys, hope this was helpful!

-Sal

I would think welding would be stronger than glue? Is it just a minimum spot welding? Has anyone experienced any cracked or broken welds?

(the other thread http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62744 )

Edited by GregM1

Im pretty sure I can pull a mag out of a mag pouch and load it in about the same time it takes me to flop a taped mag out and back in. :unsure:

It would seem unnatural to flip the mag instead of just letting it hit the ground :D

Agreed, then again, I've never tried it.

O I agree flipping it is akward and knocking out the old mag with a new one and letting the old one drop is likely faster and easier, I just had a few extra mags laying around and always liked the look of the taped mags so I figured I'd try it. The whole 20 seconds it would take to undo this is worth the photo op for me

Edited by Boosh

O I agree flipping it is akward and knocking out the old mag with a new one and letting the old one drop is likely faster and easier, I just had a few extra mags laying around and always liked the look of the taped mags so I figured I'd try it. The whole 20 seconds it would take to undo this is worth the photo op for me

It definitely looked good though Boosh :super:

From the alternate thread on the same subject.

Never met a mil-surp com-block mag I didn't like!

OK there is a lot of confusion surrounding these magazines so I want to clear some things up.

1: These are commercial magazines. They are actually a few mm thinner than surplus mags.

2: They are shipped with commercial followers.

3: They are welded (not glued like the Korean commercial units) and thus are useful as RANGE MAGS ONLY....

That being said, I would pay the extra $1 for the chinese ribless steel.

Good luck guys, hope this was helpful!

-Sal

I would think welding would be stronger than glue? Is it just a minimum spot welding? Has anyone experienced any cracked or broken welds?

(the other thread http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62744 )

I think you misunderstood my post. The welds are the only selling point, I dont want it to sound like I was shitting on the weld, only differentiating between two commercial magazines. obviously a weld trumps glue! Thanks for letting me know the english was a bit off Greg.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

yeah sal, i was confused by that statement. thnks for the clear up.

What about the European issued ones from AIM for a dollar more? They seem sturdy and have metal followers. Are they ok for, lets say SHTF use? It looks like they were issued at one time.

some say they received some funky ones, but aim's customer service is good enough you could probably just exchange them. the only ones i got looked brand new though. I even saw a thread on another forum about those a small few of those mags have blood stains that caused rust patterns. That can happen if the mags were battlefield pickups.

For those that were asking about plastic followers in a steel body, I have used plastic followers for 922r compliance. Had several from aim that i put the plastic in. had some of their current surplus mags, such as the chugo (chinese mags imported as yugo mags), hungarian 20 rounders, and even a russian slab side(that I got somewhere else). None had any issue using the plastic followers. All fed just fine. I think the bulgarians with plastic will work just fine on that point.

• Like 2

That's not true. They're the exact same thickness; both are 0.028".

IMO, the only advantage the surplus mags have over the Bulgarians is the design of the feed lip. Otherwise, the two are almost identical.

IMO, the only advantage the surplus mags have over the Bulgarians is the design of the feed lip. Otherwise, the two are almost identical.

Just going off the info here:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147546

and here:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=135787

Ill buy one and test the thickness myself while posting pictures, that way we can avoid confusion.

http://www.theakforu...hp?f=9&t=147546

and here:

http://www.theakforu...hp?f=9&t=135787

Ill buy one and test the thickness myself while posting pictures, that way we can avoid confusion.

I just measured both with a set of digital calipers. Also, the Bulgarians also seem to have stronger feed pressure (probably because the spring is also a touch thicker, @ 1.6mm for the Bulgies and 1.51mm for the surplus).

Ironically, the finish is better on the surplus mags than the Bulgarians.

• Like 1

http://www.theakforu...hp?f=9&t=147546

and here:

http://www.theakforu...hp?f=9&t=135787

I just measured both with a set of digital calipers. Also, the Bulgarians also seem to have stronger feed pressure (probably because the spring is also a touch thicker, @ 1.6mm for the Bulgies and 1.51mm for the surplus).

Ironically, the finish is better on the surplus mags than the Bulgarians.

+1 for doing the tests. This will be the last time I base my opinion off of theakforum without testing it beforehand. Still, I am worried about the poly followers, but I will do a series of tests myself to determine if my initial understanding of these things was full of shit.