Painted letters and numbers

I was bored yesterday afternoon so I decided to get a little creative and paint my S and F letters on my saiga.

I went down to the local crafts store and picked up 2 permanent paint pens, one red the other white for $5.

Stripped the saiga then started with the S in white. I just colored in the letter then immediately wiped the excess off with a paper towel damp with hoppes #9 leaving the letter colored. I did the same for the F.

It came out great! I liked it so much I did the same to my Arsenal Ak and FAL.

post-27192-0-35084000-1293928459_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-38191400-1293928493_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-29192100-1293928532_thumb.jpg

post-27192-0-73924700-1293928576_thumb.jpg

brownells sells paint sticks.you fill in the markings,let dry a day or 2 and wipe off excess.the paint dries hard and does not come off easy.

DSC07328.jpg

DSC07326.jpg

That looks good. I did mine on the fly so I just used permanent paint from the crafts store that should last years and years, I heard

people use crayola crayons, melt the crayon into the grooves and let dry.

Ha, I did this to mine as well. Similar, just a little more in depth. Shit was hard and pretty risky too man, as I used a tungsten carbide pointed tip drill bit to ct away some material making deeper cuts AFTER using a tungsten carbide etching tool to create a nice deep etch. It was sooo risky cause if u mess up, shit'll scratch that receiver like crazy. Turned out very good looking over all though and I cleaned it up quite a bit.

post-19378-0-77158200-1293947699_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-99993700-1293948507_thumb.jpg

Ha, I did this to mine as well. Similar, just a little more in depth. Shit was hard and pretty risky too man, as I used a tungsten carbide pointed tip drill bit to ct away some material making deeper cuts AFTER using a tungsten carbide etching tool to create a nice deep etch. It was sooo risky cause if u mess up, shit'll scratch that receiver like crazy. Turned out very good looking over all though and I cleaned it up quite a bit.

That looks cool I the the red and black and white colors. Maybe I should do some more..

That looks cool I the the red and black and white colors. Maybe I should do some more..

You should do whatever makes you the happiest possible about your Saiga 12. Be careful about scratching your receiver if you use tungsten carbide.

i like it but i think its to much for, me. i may go ahead and red in the german import marks on mine. let it stand out from the crowd a bit.

Edited by psl sniper

I found Sharpie Brand Extra-Fine tipped paint markers (oil based) the tip is like an fine tip felt tip type of thing..

Don't get the regular fine-point as it is very wide.. $3.47/each at Michaels.. about 1 hour ago..

Kept mine simple.. just take your time and DONT plunge the tip, just drag it along..

post-8775-0-54406600-1294001135_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the afternoon mini-project..

Al

brownells sells paint sticks.you fill in the markings,let dry a day or 2 and wipe off excess.the paint dries hard and does not come off easy.

DSC07328.jpg

DSC07326.jpg

Looks damn good! I have tried this with limited success. Think I will give those paint sticks a try. Great job!

You don't even need to melt the crayons. Just press hard and rub across the lines you want to fill. Rub it a bit with your finger to work the wax in, then buff with a rag. Two minutes, tops. I did that to all of my Glock mags to make choosing the right caliber easier, and it looks great.

Crayon is an easy way to see if you like the look before making the commitment with paint.

You don't even need to melt the crayons. Just press hard and rub across the lines you want to fill. Rub it a bit with your finger to work the wax in, then buff with a rag. Two minutes, tops. I did that to all of my Glock mags to make choosing the right caliber easier, and it looks great.

Crayon is an easy way to see if you like the look before making the commitment with paint.

Just in relation to higher power firearms, like the S12 or .308 rifle or something...after a little bit of kick and jump running through the receiver, wouldnt the wax start to "peel" or fall out of the places on the receiver you put them from shaking around soo much. Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong.

Im curious as to your tat. Is it representative of something?? Just something you liked?

Its the Austrian coat of arms. I lived in Austria for almost 5 years for work. It has a special place in my heart.

Just in relation to higher power firearms, like the S12 or .308 rifle or something...after a little bit of kick and jump running through the receiver, wouldnt the wax start to "peel" or fall out of the places on the receiver you put them from shaking around soo much. Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong.

Thats what I thought so I went with paint.

Very nice work. Just a thought though. When I'm carrying, I never leave a round in the pike, and always leave the safety on. Plenty of people tell me this is lame, BUT, I can have my guns in battery in a fraction of a second, where someone who might get the jump on me, say from behind with a club or whatever, and get my weapon, it just might give me that extra moment I need to get it back away from them before they figure it out. I wouldn't illuminate operating instructions on any gun I might use for self defense. Hell, some people might not even figure that is the safety if they don't see the "S" and "F".

thanks for motivating me for my next project... I know a few tattoo artists and I think I am going to give them a dremmel with engraving bits and just let them go to town on my S12... I'll go back and fill it in with color later... this is going to be AWESOME...

I cant wait to see this...:smoke: