Well.... I have a feeling that I am going to get a lot done in the near future as I am WIRED! I feel fine, but I can feel that 'edginess' if I sit still to long. I was just wondering if there was anyone else here that is giving it a go. Maybe we can convince one another that we will not loose our minds without tobacco, lol!

BTW Can't tell if the wife is OK or not. She hasn't said much and I'm scared to ask :unsure:

• Like 2

Well.... I have a feeling that I am going to get a lot done in the near future as I am WIRED! I feel fine, but I can feel that 'edginess' if I sit still to long. I was just wondering if there was anyone else here that is giving it a go. Maybe we can convince one another that we will not loose our minds without tobacco, lol!

BTW Can't tell if the wife is OK or not. She hasn't said much and I'm scared to ask :unsure:

Good Luck to both of you Evil.

It's an awful habit that my wife and I have yet to stop.

The Losenges that you get from walmart help, I quit for 6 months using those. Once my travel kicked back in I was back to smoking.

Tried the Chantix for three weeks and had to make a decision (kill someone and go to jail or quit Chantix). That stuff is bad news for someone like me who already has a chemical inbalance LOL......

Best of luck

TYBOY

I quit cold turkey a couple years ago for 2 weeks, but made the mistake of sitting on the porch with my wife while she smoked. I think it is better to just get the nicotine out of the system. I tried losenges and gum before and I started abusing them. It just wasn't enough in the recommended dose and I would use 2 4mg losenges or pieces of gum at a time. A couple times I thought I was having a heart attack. Not good :eek:

I appreciate the words of support, gentlemen. Failure is not an option this time. I am getting older and every summer gets harder on me at work. I need to eliminate some of the risky factors in my life. I am a bacon addict too.

I quite about 5 years ago after many many false starts. The patches and nicotine inhaler (not sure if they are available in the US) helped. The thing the helped most for me was relocating and having a new set of workmates and friends who were not-smokers. I just couldn't stay quit while everyone around me that I used to smoke with kept smoking.

The only advise I can offer is to keep at it. You'll probably have a lot of relapses but don't get discouraged by these - it's normal. Work on making each relapse shorter and less frequent.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by Patria Povo

I've tried before. But if im not smoking I tend to have a very short fuse. One I almost hit a pedestrian in parking lot with my car and instead of apologizing I almost ripped his head off. Not good.

Good luck to you!

It's hell, but it can be done. Just make sure your wife, coworkers and friends know in advance that if you turn into a complete asshole for the next month or so, there's a good reason for it. I know what a prick I was while quitting.

It helps a lot if you can eliminate as many other sources of stress in your life as possible before quitting - anything that's a little bit stressful normally seems a hundred times more stressful when you're going through withdrawal.

Persevere, beat the devil, you can do it!

I've tried before. But if im not smoking I tend to have a very short fuse. One I almost hit a pedestrian in parking lot with my car and instead of apologizing I almost ripped his head off. Not good.

Good luck to you!

I feel as if I'm stalking a prey, but just can't seem to locate the scent. I keep looking around as if I am looking for something.

Best of luck to y'all. I'm not there yet but have been thinking about it. I use the gum and lozenges when I have to go long periods of time when I can't smoke and they help.

I tend to abuse the quitting aids. They just don't compare to the painful sharp impulse that is present when inhaling burning tobacco. I like the pain. I end up chewing too much gum or eating too many losenges and getting really dizzy.

It's hell, but it can be done. Just make sure your wife, coworkers and friends know in advance that if you turn into a complete asshole for the next month or so, there's a good reason for it. I know what a prick I was while quitting.

It helps a lot if you can eliminate as many other sources of stress in your life as possible before quitting - anything that's a little bit stressful normally seems a hundred times more stressful when you're going through withdrawal.

Persevere, beat the devil, you can do it!

I already told my business partner that if I look like I want to strangle him.... I really do, but it will pass if he just keeps his mouth shut.

Good luck man! I quit about 3 years ago. It was hard, but you just need to find something to fill your empty time up with. As long as you can keep busy, you should be able to fight off most of the cravings. The rest is just willpower bro.

I am considering losing myself in the xbox. That is how I quit cold turkey the last time. Maybe I'll start playing the guitar again. Maybe I'll lose myself in the next S12 and keep at it until the action is as smooth as flat glass.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I smoked for 13 years and quit in a month and a half with the help of chantix.

some states have quit smoking programs that will even give you the stuff for free.

If that doesn't work you could always take a tour through oncology & see what years of smoking leads to.

Good luck to you!

I hear you there.

I keep buying 2 packs at a time because I'm beginning to hate smoking, or rather paying $300.00 per month to do it.

I'm right about there.

The buying just 2 packs as opposed to cartons is so when the moment hits, I don't have enough cigarettes left to deter me from quitting thinking I'll just have these last ones rather than throwing money away.

The environment has gotten better for quitting as of late, being as more & more people are quitting, so there's not tons of tobacco burning everywhere I go to tempt me.

Mostly, the other smokers that I notice are the people trying to bum cigarettes from me.

Even most of my friends from "rougher crowds" don't smoke any longer.

Good luck in your endeavor & hopefully, 2 weeks down the road, you'll still hate them as much as now.

It's really simple to "quit", you just quit.

The hard part is the psychological addiction. If you feel more deprived by not having cigarettes, that you feel deprived by the addiction, the addiction will win.

At least that's been my experience.

After 24 years of smoking I quit 9 years, 2 months, 8 days ago, so I know it can be done. The key is, you have to want to quit smoking more that you want the tobacco. It's not easy. Good luck to anybody that's trying to stop smoking.

Every time you think about smoking

Think about being in a doctors office and he walks in your room caring a portable oxygen machine and telling you that you have spots on your lungs. Then explaining to you to how agonizing your death will be and how long you will be suffering. Think about the people around that will be watching you die slowly.

Last year my tax man told me he has lung cancer from smoking. This year he said, it is hard for him to even walk out his front door without oxygen.

He wishes he would have never smoked.

I quit smoking 17 years ago. My secret of success might sound counter-intuitive but it is what worked for me. I couldn't quit until I gave up all the things like patches and nicotine gum that I expected to make the process easy for me. It wasn't until I really made up my mind that it was just going to be tough and I didn't have any expectations other than I was going to be very uncomfortable for a while that I could finally put smoking behind me.

:smoke::killer:

• Like 1

I quit about 3 months ago. I had gotten sick, and was trying to smoke a cig, and was coughing up a storm...

I said " this is F'ing stupid"

put out the cig and that was that. i have gained a considerable amount of weight, but that is my next hurdle to overcome. I have been jogging the last 2 days and will continue until i am back down to normal...

Whats funny is I dont really miss smoking, it was dirty and expensive...I was spending about 200.00/mth... Guess where the savings goes...yep you guessed it ....

HOOKERS...

:angel::unsure::lolol::lolol::lolol:

good luck OP, its not too bad and I breathe alot better now...Its great...

Edited by lvjeffro

I have been quitting for 5 years as of the last week in February. The first 12 weeks I used the commit lousenges. I would put one betweeen my lip and gum and it would last for hours. At about 12 weeks i decided to stop eating them. I see guys smoke and it smells so good but I know I am one smoke away from being a pack a day smoker again. Good luck guys. Just take it minute by minute.

Edit: oh I also had no choise...I kept getting this black spot on my lip (where the cig sat) that wouldn't scrub off. I was afraid if I kept smoking I would have lip cancer.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

I have been quitting for 5 years as of the last week in February. The first 12 weeks I used the commit lousenges. I would put one betweeen my lip and gum and it would last for hours. At about 12 weeks i decided to stop eating them. I see guys smoke and it smells so good but I know I am one smoke away from being a pack a day smoker again. Good luck guys. Just take it minute by minute.

Edit: oh I also had no choise...I kept getting this black spot on my lip (where the cig sat) that wouldn't scrub off. I was afraid if I kept smoking I would have lip cancer.

I don't understand why the smoke smells like hell to others. I love the smell of it as it seems sweet.

I have made it through the day without smoking. I was really agitated earlier and had to evict some squatters from a property that we just bought. It went well. It's a good thing because I was in 'rip head off-- shit down neck' mode. I have a certain look in my eye when I am almost 'there' and apparently they noticed it. I told them they had 4 hours.... they and their belongings were gone before I got back. It has been a good day for the most part.

I don't understand why the smoke smells like hell to others. I love the smell of it as it seems sweet.

^ these are the kinds of things folks say who take years to "quit" smoking...

the biggest step is not wanting to burn anymore. If you still enjoy & want to smoke, your not going to quit.

Cigarette smoke always smelled like shit to me, with a few exceptions. 99% of the cigs I've smelled in the States smell like shit - every now and then someone lights up something that smells nice, like a botschafter. Still love the smell of good pipe tobacco burning.

I smoked for 13 years and quit in a month and a half with the help of chantix.

some states have quit smoking programs that will even give you the stuff for free.

If that doesn't work you could always take a tour through oncology & see what years of smoking leads to.

I smoked about a pack a day from when I was 11 until 5 years ago and I will be 52 this year...so 36 years. I don't know the exact day I quit because the first week I smoked ciggarett buts out of the ashtray. It's always a struggle for me. Keep it up today...sometimes it's fun to be an asshole.

• Like 1

I quit smoking about 3 1/2 years ago and then started back up in the end of July when I got a new job. It usually takes me 2-4 days to smoke a pack depending on the evenings activities, but I finished my last pack yesterday and I am going to quit "fer realsies" this time. When I quit last time, it was because I was too broke to afford cigarettes. For the first few days, I smoked all the halfies in my ashtray, but felt like the most disgusting piece of human garbage doing it so I decided to quit. It wasnt that hard, I just had to tell myself how gross it was and keep myself occupied. Eating cashews or sunflower seeds is a great substitute for the hand to mouth motion that I believe is more addicting than the nicotine. Good luck to everyone that is quitting. Just remember, MIND OVER MATTER!

Good luck on your venture into quitting. I've never gave it an actual try, yet. I've said "I'm gonna quit", a few times. But nothing ever came of it. Someday...........

Just keep thinking of the money you'll be saving, which should be quite a bit, considering you and your wife were smokers. Hell, I'd have an extra $1500ish a year if I quit smoking.

I also decided to quit right before christmas. The only thing is i didn't quit nicotine. I have been using electric cigarettes to calm the cravings. To me it was more of a issue of the motions of putting a cigarette in my mouth and inhaling. My second step will be to move to gums and hopefully quit nicotine completely.

You truly have to want to quit to quit. Quiting based on someone telling you to quit won't help it has to be your decision.

Good luck on your venture into quitting. I've never gave it an actual try, yet. I've said "I'm gonna quit", a few times. But nothing ever came of it. Someday...........

Just keep thinking of the money you'll be saving, which should be quite a bit, considering you and your wife were smokers. Hell, I'd have an extra $1500ish a year if I quit smoking.

That's all? $1500? I calculated my at about $3500ish a year. @ $4.75ish a pack. Not bragging that's a lot of wasted cash. Could buy a few rifles/guns and ammo or a nice vacation.

That's all? $1500? I calculated my at about $3500ish a year. @ $4.75ish a pack. Not bragging that's a lot of wasted cash. Could buy a few rifles/guns and ammo or a nice vacation.

Yeah, I did a rough estimate:

I smoke almost, but not quite, a pack a day. So you figure $5 x 6ish days a week = $30ish a week. $30ish x 52 = $1500ish

You need to get mad AT the cigarette. Smack your hand when you find it rummaging in your pocket for a smoke! Go have a good steak and NOT have a smoke (BEAT YOU STOGIE!) Bang the old lady till her tongue hangs out and she passes out,roll over and NOT have a smoke (beat you again stogie!) Then go have a few with your friends at the bar and NOT have a cigarette! NOW you are a non smoker!

The first 2 weeks are the worst. You will want a smoke BAD all the time the first week, and SOMETIMES for the second.

Old habits are the biggest land mine you face, Those when you would normally stop and have a smoke. ESPECIALLY those times when you would normally have a smoke to celebrate.

GOOD LUCK!