5.45 forward scope setup

I'm finally going to buy a scope/red dot for the 5.45. I'm leaning toward the forward mounted position that will also co witness with my iron sights. So far I'm going to buy a quad rail and use that to mount the rings/scope. I dont shoot further than 300 yards which scope should I go with? Who here has a forward scope setup and is happy with it?

I've got a forward mount on my x39 its an aim sport holographic on top of a quad rail (plastic) the aluminum quad's were quite a bit more weight. So far so good but you have to choose only one of the reticle settings as each one requires its own point of impact. These are a bottom end site but the dot is quite small at 300yds. like doorknob size as opposed to truck tire size. Also it is holding zero very well, but I did use the blue thread lock on everything and just to check the ease of removal I loosened everything to make sure it wasn't going to strip out the allen head's and it didn't so I reapplied the blue. These type of sites are good for me I like the fact of having the weapon shouldered,both eyes open and the site always there in your field of view seems like it would be great for multiple target shooting.

Is there any reason you don't want to use the gold standard of AK rails? The Ultimak is a proven design that is very easily installed and quite cheap. It's the best way to mount optics currently on the market.

• Like 1

I think what Horse was getting is that the Ultimak is probably the best solution for what you are after, most if not all quad rails will not allow cowitness. The Ultimak does depending on the optic you mount. Also you might not be familiar with them but combloc side rail mounted red dot's like the PK-A or PK-AS also work great with both eyes open (most of them anyway).

Primary Arms makes a great budget red dot that should cowitness on an Ultimak, total cost for both would be right around $200 IIRC and you'd have a solution that should nicely meet your requirements.

For example this is about the simplest you can get, and it will do exactly what you say you want:

SGL3161-Ultimak-H1-Left.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1

The quad rail I have will allow use of open site's or so its advertised but honestly it would not be something I would count on,its more like a very dark peep site, so if your electronic site failed you would only have 2 choices: #1 ask your target to wait while you remove the site or #2 use your 30 or more rounds in a spray and pray scenario. My quad rail was made by SGM.