What exactly does Pre-ban mean?

Would some one please kindly explain what Pre-ban means in regard to a saiga rifle? Some know it all, gotta love an AR elitist. Pointed out that saigas are post ban and not worth the sheet metal they are produced from. i have a beautiful 7.62x39 that has been converted and in fact very proud of it. Do I want to replace the FSB? No. Do want a bayo lug? No. Can some one more informed then me explain "pre-ban"? Thank you in advance

I think it's just referring to the 1986 ban of machine guns and assault weapons. I think it just meant you couldn't have guns with removable muzzle devices and bayonet lugs because that deemed them as evil. But yeah, that guy sounds like an AR fanboy with a butthurt to all thinks Kalashnikov. I have 74 style muzzle attachments and bayo lugs on my saiga and SGL but I bought them that way. If they didn't have it I wouldn't really give a damn because it's still an AK. :D

It could be a reference to many things. They are subject to an import ban of "non-sporting" rifles. This is why 922r is so important. New rifles are also not grandfathered in under various states' "assault weapons" bans. This is why residents of some areas do not convert theirs to standard configuration or to take standard capacity magazines. While ARs may in many cases predate the bans, I imagine new rifles are also thus restricted, so I'd wager it's the import ban he's shooting his mouth off about.

Just tell him to go squeeze some more Picatinny rail onto his rifle.

Edited by DrThunder88

I dunno what mental process lead these people to believe it has anything to do with the 1986 machinegun registry closure. Post-ban / pre-ban is a term from the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon Ban days, some states like NY, NJ and CA have these types of bans, and generally (but not always), they include a grandfather clause that allows weapons with the banned features that already existed before the law was passed to be legal to sell. In almost all areas, the term is meaningless now, there is no AWB and hasn't been for six years. In said states, post-ban means that the weapon cannot exceed a specific amount of restricted features.

Edited by Big Boss
  • Like 1

A Pre Ban rifle is a semi auto military type rifle that was imported until 1989. They are worth more because they didn't have to comply with government regulations like no bayo lugs, or threaded barrels, or 922 US parts, or they didn't have to say "sporter". After that the MAK 90 [Modified AK of 1990] was imported, as pistol gripped guns were not allowed to come in. HK's, FAL's Daewoo's, etc were allowed to be imported, but with the thumbhole stock. This law did not affect guns made in the US, so AR 15 type rifles could still be made here. The term "Pre Ban" has nothing to do with the 94-04 ban which lasted 10 years. Some states continued this ban, but the term "Pre Ban" has nothing to do with that. The recent guns which have the bayo lug, threaded barrel, pistol grip etc are referred to as "No Ban" After 89 pistol gripped guns were allowed to be sold, but the guns needed a specific amount of US parts, but still no bayo lug, or threaded barrel. These are known as "Post Ban".So up to 89 is a Pre Ban, After 89 to 04 is Post Ban, & after 04 is No Ban. GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE
  • Like 1

N4KVE has it correct, but left out the 1989 California Robert-Roos Ban, the year-2000 SB23 ban, and the 2004 50 BMG ban.

I packed my shit after the Robert-Roos ban and left. That ban was a result of the Stockton school yard shooting.

Tony

I dunno what mental process lead these people to believe it has anything to do with the 1986 machinegun registry closure. Post-ban / pre-ban is a term from the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon Ban days, some states like NY, NJ and CA have these types of bans, and generally (but not always), they include a grandfather clause that allows weapons with the banned features that already existed before the law was passed to be legal to sell. In almost all areas, the term is meaningless now, there is no AWB and hasn't been for six years. In said states, post-ban means that the weapon cannot exceed a specific amount of restricted features.

Just a heads up, in case an NJ resident reads the above........

There's no "pre/postban" in NJ. They're limitations are set in stone, and "pre-ban" means nothing. It's not like NY where you're normally restricted to 10 round mags, but if they're pre-ban, you can have any capacity you want. NJ, for example, is limited to 15 round mags, period. No matter when the mags were made. Same goes for features on rifles/shotguns themselves. Even if the receiver is pre-ban, it doesn't allow them anymore "evil" features than if the receiver was post-ban.

Edited by -Shooter-