100th Anniversary M1911s

Now that it's 2011, the official year of the M1911s 100th birthday, will Colt be releasing 100th anniversary editions that resemble the original M1911 (not the M1911A1)?

For that matter, what other companies will might offer these? The last thing I want to see are M1911s with adjustable sights, beaver-tail safety's, etc., as those things weren't around 100 years ago.

• Like 1

I don't really know a whole lot about what various companies offer regarding 1911 models, but I believe that Springfield Armory offers a model that is closer to earlier variants (no beaver tail, spur hammer, low-profile sights, etc.). I believe that this is their G.I. 45 model. Although it is not some anniversary model.

I have been looking at some 1911's, but I will probably go for something that isn't like the earlier 1911 models. I am thinking of perhaps a Mil-Spec M1911A1 or a Loaded model from Springfield Armory. I just want something I can shoot well with; I don't want an anniversary model that would ultimately make a better investment than a shooter.

*EDIT*

Sorry about that; I was skimming through and I initially thought you stated that Colt would be making an anniversary model; I just now realized that you were asking if they would make such a model. My mistake.

Although honestly, I don't see why anyone would not try to make an anniversary model of such a legendary pistol. Maybe such things will come out later in the year.

Edited by 7N6Wolf

I already have a Springfield GI 45. It's pretty much a modern-manufactured M1911A1. Unlike most, I like my 1911s plain. The speedbump sights are perfect for me, even at night. But seeing as it is the 100th anni of the 1911, I would like the chance to own an original style 1911, without having to look for one made in 1912-1920s, and paying $6000+ for one in near mint condition.

I already have a Springfield GI 45. It's pretty much a modern-manufactured M1911A1. Unlike most, I like my 1911s plain. The speedbump sights are perfect for me, even at night. But seeing as it is the 100th anni of the 1911, I would like the chance to own an original style 1911, without having to look for one made in 1912-1920s, and paying $6000+ for one in near mint condition.

Colt released and marketed the pistol you are describing earlier this year. There was some sort of safety-related issue that resulted in them being recalled. I believe about 2000 of the pistols were sold. A friend has one, and it is a very nice-looking pistol - deep blued finish, pretty damn nice. I haven't fired it yet, but he's put 100 or so rounds through it. If you look hard enough you can probably still find someone with one to sell, but chances are it'll be over the $1k mark.

I believe there is also an italian company selling a 1911 copy that is supposed to be very close to the original.

I don't mean to sound foolish in any regard, but I don't have a single Colt 1911 in my possession, minus the two slides I have from my Ithaca and Remington Rand (both of which are now complete), so I'd like one from Colt. I looked for that one you described several months back, perhaps all the leads I was following were dead. But Colt should do right my J.M. Browning and release them again as a tribute. It's unfortunate that there was a safety issue, which is most likely why I never actually found any for sale. Did they try installing the series 80 system on these? I know they say it's good for preventing the firearm from going off if dropped, but I've handled 1911s for years now and I've never dropped any. As a matter of fact, I've never dropped any gun I've owned, nor have they fallen out of holsters, off tables, etc..

Haha, you funny guy, Al! :lolol:

In 1991, they released the M1991, and I was reading in several places about the possibility of a M2011, but I'm not sure what accouterments it will have, or if it'll be a bare-bones model the way I like it.

Haha, you funny guy, Al! :lolol:

In 1991, they released the M1991, and I was reading in several places about the possibility of a M2011, but I'm not sure what accouterments it will have, or if it'll be a bare-bones model the way I like it.

I bought an M1991 last year, great gun, just dropped it off at the smith for some adjustments... beaver tail, better hammer, trigger job, etc.

Edited by vbrtrmn