I'm pretty sure New Orleans police stole my pistol

I'm kinda looking for advice here, but wanted to share what I am sorta finding to be humorous.

So I went to NOLA for New Years on a whim. My buddy who's in the Navy called me up Thursday night and said he was in town and coming by the house. He showed up, and mentioned New Orleans. I said I was game, so we got in the car and started driving, booked a hotel on the way, and stopped to stay at his mom's in Mobile at about 5am. We get to New Orleans around 2pm on Friday, checked into the hotel, and went out on the town, had a great time. So Saturday we get up, check out of the hotel, and go back out. He doesn't drink, so I was drinking with the idea of him driving back to Mobile that night.

So we go out, and end up meeting some girls. We hung out with them for a while, and around 8 or 9 pm we were ready to head out. The girls were staying at a hotels near where we were parked, and I was giving one of them a piggy back ride down the side walk, on the way back to our car. So we dropped them at their hotel, and started walking to the car. I'm literally half a block from the car, when an officer walks up, stops me, while another one creeps me and hooks me up. I stayed calm as fuck, and asked them what this was all about. One of them said they had got a call from 'a concerned citizen' that a guy in a red shirt (me) was carrying a pistol. I had a kel-tec PF9 on my hip, in my waist band, and I guess someone had seen it when I had this girl on my back.

I told them that I had an Alabama permit in my wallet, and that AL had reciprocity with LA. They talked amongst themselves for a while, then came and said they were taking me in for public intox. Keep in mind that I hadn't blown in a machine or taken a field sobriety test of any kind. They said I smelled like beer. I'm sitting there thinking, "fuck, this whole city smells like beer."

So 3 hours later I get bonded out, and head back to Alabama. My court date was yesterday, as Monday was a holiday (apparently a 3 day weekend for New Years isn't good enough for government employees, but I digress). I got in touch with the municipal court yesterday to tell them that I wasn't going to make it to court. The city attorney called me back and said that they were just going to keep my bond money and dismiss my charge, which is decent, I guess. I'm just happy I don't have to go back down there to deal with it.

The point of this whole story is that when I asked the city attorney about retrieving my property (pistol), he said there wasn't anything on the the police report about a confiscated pistol, only that the police had got a call about a man carrying a gun, and ended up arresting me for public intox (which has got to be some sort of unprecedented shit, getting public intox in a city where everyone is drunk.) He said I could come talk to the judge about it, but they didn't have any record of my pistol being confiscated. My buddy saw the cops take it off me, and even tried to get it back before they took me to jail.

This leads me to believe that the cops responded to a call about a gun, when they found out it was legit, they arrested me and pocketed my pistol. I should be more upset about it, but the way I see it, a $200 pistol and $150 bond for a dismissed charge is probably not a bad deal. It really doesn't surprise me that NOPD would do something like that, either.

The way I see it I have 3 options. 1) Just forget about it, and buy a new pistol. 2) Take a day off of work, ride down there with my receipt for the pistol and talk to the judge, to see if he'll release it to me. Or 3) Call NOPD and report my pistol stolen. If they have no record of it being confiscated, it must be stolen.

What do you guys think?

• Like 3
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elvis,   Round up all of your purchase receipts, including the serial number for the handgun and head back down to NOPD. When you get there, ask to see the watch commander and explain the situation.

Elvis, I spent a long career as a manager dealing with unionized commissioned officers and lived with the certain knowledge that practically every cop and correctional officer in my state would just L

Not trying to turn this thread into a discussion on how I carry my pistol, but thanks, I feel where you're coming from. If you want to go running around NO unarmed, be my guest. Personally its somethi

Posted Images

Bring your receipt, proof of ownership with your permit... and like you said... If they do not "have" it... then file a stolen pistol report and state that the police are the ones who STOLE it, and cite the officers name/names from the arrest report specifically.

Oh... Call the NRA and everyone else you can too!! :up:

:smoke:

I don't know if there's enough evidence to raise hell, yet. I probably need to call the NOPD records department and ask them about it, then proceed from there. I'd like to get the gun back, but at the same time, I can go get another one for $200, which is less than what I'll spend driving to New Orleans, getting a hotel room, and blowing money in a titty bar. :smoke:

Does anyone else find this the least bit humorous? I'm trying to figure out exactly how funny I think it is, being that I got took for money all weekend. I tried to buy a bicycle off a dude on friday night, because I was tired of walking. He wanted $50, I told him I'd give him $20, and he agreed. Then when I counted him out the money, he said I had shorted him $9, which was total bullshit, so I just snatched the money back out of his hand, and $9 had disappeared. I know he took it, but had to laugh at the hustle.

Contact the ATF

+1

You didnt sell it and there is no paperwork that they have it. So if sometime later the gun is lost, stolen, misplaced and used in a crime, then confiscated good luck telling them the cops took it. It'll be like telling your teacher the dog ate your homework, only with the possibility of more severe punishment.

At the very least get them to give you some kind of authorized paperwork that says they took the gun into their possession.

See if you can get in contect with the cops that took it off of you. Or their supervisor or someone in charge.

• Like 1

Are you 100% sure that your "buddy" didnt take it? Just saying, shit happens.

Yeah man, I'm 110% on that one. This guy has been one of my best friends for 15 years, even when he was strung out I never knew him to steal from his friends. I can't see him starting now.

i once had a local cop steal a 10/22 out of the trunk. Don't let these guys get away with this. Its a pain in the ass but, do your self a favor and report it stolen to the N.O. police department. The last thing you want is a cop who is crooked enough to steal your weapon to be in possession of that weapon. Seriously, report it stolen. Then they have to act on your report.

• Like 2

The NOPD is the most vile corrupt police force in the United States. I would also consider contacting the Feds and filing a report. The NOPD preys on unsuspecting tourists especially during Mardi Gras. New Orleans is a city where one needs to be "connected". My bet is that a "citizen" never filed the initial complaint. I would also recommend that you read this book: http://neworleansgungrab.com/

The Feds need to step in and completely take over the NOPD firing everyone and start from scratch.

Good luck and be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Shitty.

Just file a stolen weapon's report.

The reason for the call is on record, the name of the officer is on your arrest record, your friend & the initial call confirms that you had a firearm, so that leaves a bunch of headaches if the arresting officer doesn't just find that it "accidentally fell under something in his trunk & he forgot about it" when he's asked about it.

Regardless of registration laws, the gun's linked to you.

Stolen guns rarely get used for good.

• Like 2

Shitty.

Just file a stolen weapon's report.

The reason for the call is on record, the name of the officer is on your arrest record, your friend & the initial call confirms that you had a firearm, so that leaves a bunch of headaches if the arresting officer doesn't just find that it "accidentally fell under something in his trunk & he forgot about it" when he's asked about it.

Regardless of registration laws, the gun's linked to you.

Stolen guns rarely get used for good.

That's correct. NOPD has a history of holding them and using them as "ham sandwiches".

http://www.independentamerican.org/2010/03/21/new-orleans-police-scandal-running-deep/

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1

Bring your receipt, proof of ownership with your permit... and like you said... If they do not "have" it... then file a stolen pistol report and state that the police are the ones who STOLE it, and cite the officers name/names from the arrest report specifically.

:smoke:

^This is what a grownup would do, I would add that the attorney you spoke to has no idea of the specifics related to your arrest. The police department probably has a procedure unrelated to the report (playing devils advocate for the NOPD).

What will probably happen is you show up, show your receipt and tell them that the charges were dismissed. Then they call someone or check a computer record and confirm, then give you your pistol.

Worst case scenario would be that you show up, identify yourself, and be arrested on the bench warrant that was issued on you because of a paperwork mishap or public servants stupid foul up/mishap in relation to your arrest.

I would probably do everything long distance on the phone and fax, but the NOPD will probably refile your charges or lose the dismissal if they start getting heat. Politics suck.....................

You couldn't have picked a worse police department to "do business with". You are never going to see that gun again. If anyone feels any heat coming down on them it will end up at the bottom of the Mississippi river. I would not bother dealing any more with the NOPD, they are as crooked as a dog's hind leg and they will do nothing but work against you. Document every detail of this theft with at least two other state or federal agencies and hope you never hear anything more about it.

The way I see it I have 3 options. 1) Just forget about it, and buy a new pistol. 2) Take a day off of work, ride down there with my receipt for the pistol and talk to the judge, to see if he'll release it to me. Or 3) Call NOPD and report my pistol stolen. If they have no record of it being confiscated, it must be stolen.

What do you guys think?

Elvis,

Round up all of your purchase receipts, including the serial number for the handgun and head back down to NOPD. When you get there, ask to see the watch commander and explain the situation. Also, ask for a copy of the arrest report and see if the watch commander is able to pull up the original dispatch tapes for the responding officers. Every incoming call and dispatched call is recorded and saved. The officer most likely ran the gun with their dispatch to check it for stolen status while they were checking and verifying your permits and such. If this is on the audio tapes, then you have just proven that you were in possession of the handgun when stopped. I assure you that you will have the watch commanders full attention at this point and they will know where to start looking for it to return. If it was intentionally taken by the officer, then they need to know about it as soon as possible. It may have been turned into their evidence locker and just not added to the report. If this was the case, then that is a very bad case of documentation, which they should also be made aware.

If all else fails, I plead with you to at the very least make a report and file the gun as stolen. Make sure that the handgun is placed on NCIC as stolen by them. This is for your protection and shows good faith in the event that your handgun does ever show up on a crime scene. And keep a copy of the report for your records in the event that it is needed in the future.

Another option would be to try and PM Dancing Bear. I know that he works in the area, but I'm not exactly sure which agency that he is with right now. He may be able to assist you with some of this. Good luck, I hope that some of this helps.

• Like 10

What do you guys think?

Elvis,

Round up all of your purchase receipts, including the serial number for the handgun and head back down to NOPD. When you get there, ask to see the watch commander and explain the situation. Also, ask for a copy of the arrest report and see if the watch commander is able to pull up the original dispatch tapes for the responding officers. Every incoming call and dispatched call is recorded and saved. The officer most likely ran the gun with their dispatch to check it for stolen status while they were checking and verifying your permits and such. If this is on the audio tapes, then you have just proven that you were in possession of the handgun when stopped. I assure you that you will have the watch commanders full attention at this point and they will know where to start looking for it to return. If it was intentionally taken by the officer, then they need to know about it as soon as possible. It may have been turned into their evidence locker and just not added to the report. If this was the case, then that is a very bad case of documentation, which they should also be made aware.

If all else fails, I plead with you to at the very least make a report and file the gun as stolen. Make sure that the handgun is placed on NCIC as stolen by them. This is for your protection and shows good faith in the event that your handgun does ever show up on a crime scene. And keep a copy of the report for your records in the event that it is needed in the future.

Another option would be to try and PM Dancing Bear. I know that he works in the area, but I'm not exactly sure which agency that he is with right now. He may be able to assist you with some of this. Good luck, I hope that some of this helps.

Great advice. I would take someone with you and drop a small digital tape recorder in your top pocket. Officers of the NOPD can say the darndest things then lie and deny.

Yakdung

Start here: NO Court records Search Make sure that the charges where actually dismissed, a DA can not dismissed the charges without a judge signing off on it....

If they where, was you buddy with you? If yes then have him (your buddy) sign a affidavit stating that you did in fact have the gun when arrested and the officers took it off of you... Next Contact New Orleans Internal Affairs department and file a complaint against the cops that arrested you for theft, and forward a copy of the signed affidavit along with your written complaint. Tell IA that you have also filled a complaint to the attorney generals office of NO... (be courteous)....

Explain that since they could not get you one way, they went another route and made a false arrest and false imprisonment....

See where this takes you first....

I warn you if you go to NO and the case was not dropped you will probably be arrested for failure to appear.... It has happened to others that I know of......

• Like 1

Great advice. I would take someone with you and drop a small digital tape recorder in your top pocket. Officers of the NOPD can say the darndest things then lie and deny.

Yakdung

Yea and then he gets arrested for illegal audible recording of a LEO.

What do you guys think?

Elvis,

Great info from GeorgiaPD....... Get it on the NCIC to cover your ass. Contacting NOPD yourself is something I personally would not advise, much less going back down there in person...........

Yakdung

Yea and then he gets arrested for illegal audible recording of a LEO.

The situation isn't normal in New Orleans. I will take my chances with the audio on advise from my attorney.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1226

Yakdung

Hey, thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Like I said earlier, I'm not that concerned with the actual value of the pistol, but the more I think about it, especially given NOPD's record of unscrupulous behavior), I really don't want a gun that I purchased from an FFL to end up dropped on someone in some sort of serious crime.

I'll think about my options, and try to come up with some sort of plan of action.