POLL: Brass v Steel case

Brass vs Steel case  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who shoots Brass or steel case and why?

• Steel Case
    • Brass beacuase you reload
    • Brass because "steel is bad for your firearm"
    • Brass for another reason

I had a "reputable gun dealer :rolleyes:" tell me steel case will ruin my extractor and cause an "early end to a nice weapon." Pretty much said everything I've heard before from other folks. I personally don't believe this for a second and will continue to shoot tons of it out of my saiga. I just wanted to see what everyone else was running. and if anyone can provide personal experience on this being is a myth.... or not.

AR guys will swear steel is horrible and will ruin your extractor. But AKs (including the Saiga) were *designed* to run steel case. The only reason I'd use brass is if I wanted to reload.

The way I see it, even if you believe it will cause premature extractor failure, you've saved enough money shooting steel that you can buy a whole new bolt assembly, much less just $10 to replace the extractor.

I also run steel in my AR from time to time, the only issue I can see is shooting brass after steel will sometimes lead to a stubborn extraction. Steel doesn't expand to fill the chamber as well as brass so deposits can get around it and cause the brass (which does expand) to stick.

• Like 1

I shoot steel as well. Cabela's has MFS boxer primed brass on sale and it is still $7 a box of 20. Yugo surplus is brass but berdan primed so that wouldn't do me any good for reloading.

Now I shoot mostly brass in my non ComBloc weapons because the price difference is minuscule. Moving up $0.50 to $1 a box from Brown Bear to Dynamit Nobel 9mm is nothing when it is cleaner and gives me brass to reload (when I can get into reloading).

The price difference in ComBloc calibers (not as much in NATO calibers like 5.56) between steel and brass cased is enormous (anyone want to buy a case of American Eagle 7.62x39? Ouch!).

I reload but I prefer shooting steel in weapons like my AK's. They are very hard on brass if you do intend to reload and the availablity and price of 762x39 ammo gives me little incentive to work pet loads for an AK. My AK's are not my long range precision accuracy guns, so 2-3 MOA with decent factory ammo is plenty for me.

The reason AR guys don't like steel is because the chambers are usually pretty tight and the blowback and a lack of expansion to seal the case in the chamber creates carbon fouling to get between the case and the chamber which can build up and cause sticking problems. If you shoot suppressed, it will happen with brass too. That said, I have shot plenty of Wolf through AR's with no problems. Have a few rounds of brass on-hand and the carbon buildup in the chamber will stick to the brass after you are done blowing through the cheaper steel stuff.

In an AK, there is no reason to buy brass for reliability issues. I have had brass break extractors before in other guns so if you have a weak extractor, it doesn't really matter what you run through it.

Chances are the dealer has a bunch of $1/round 7.62x39 that he wants you to buy. I'll stick with Wolf and Silver & Brown Bear.

Steel, it's cheaper.

So a "Reputable Gun dealer" thinks there is a way to "Ruin" an AK???? Not possible. Unless you "Ruin" it by adding Dual Quad-rails and every Mall Ninja accessory! That's like saying a flat tire "Ruined" your Jeep! I have shot an uncountable amount of steel cased ammo and have never, ever, had any issues with my Saiga x39 whatsoever! On the other hand, when I "HAD" an AR-15 I had an uncountable number of "Issues".

If I can shoot thousands of rounds and MAYBE, Someday, have to replace a $10 part, then so be it. I will take the chance.

• Like 1

my thoughts exactly... He wasn't trying to sell me anything but he is a friend of a friend who buys $.60/round 556 brass from him. but it does come in rubber battle packs and he says its military stuff.:rolleyes:

That is a similar metaphor i used with my buddy...But i said.. if you could put 50cent/gallon gasoline in your car and all it would do is make your plugs wear out twice as fast you wouldn't do it?????

Its a fanboy thing i guess...

But mall ninjas keep all their mags stocked with brass so maybe I should smarten up.

Buying cheap steel case ammo was the reason I bought a Saiga in the first place. The fun factor tends to go up with rounds expended! Lots to read on the net about steel case ammunition. It's not as damaging as many think. I bought a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23 and will be trying some through it too.

I'd like to see a test of two ar platforms firing all brass and all steel and two aks firing all brass and all steel and see when extraction issues arrive, if they do at all.

I'm not going to run anything but steel in my saiga and see where it gets me.

more of the same...

I shoot steel out of my saigas. They are intended to use steel cased ammo. even hornady makes steel cased 7.62x39.

I run brass out of my AR and Fal. I'm not sure its even needed for the Fal, but i usualy run brass in my FR-7 so it works. I know ARs will go through extractors when using large quantities of steel.

I run nothing but steel cased ammo in my Saiga, as it was built for steel cased ammo. I also put steel cased .45acp ammo through my Kimber Custom II at the range from time to time because it's cheaper to practice with and I've never had a problem with it. I just clean the pistol when I get home and it's good to go. :up:

Steel case for me. It's cheaper(usually,except for the Yugo mil-surp stuff) and I don't reload anyway.(no need to IMO) In echoing what has already been stated, the AK and SKS were MADE to run steel case. If your not supposed to use it in those guns, then tell me exactly which firearm(s) is it ok to use it in ?

As many others have stated here before, steel is much cheaper for me to shoot. If I feel the need to reload, I'll pay a little extra for the brass. But no issues with brass or steel in any of my AKs, so I'll stick with the cheap stuff :P

They make brass cased 7.62x39??!! :lolol:

Needless to say I have a sizable stash of steel cased ammo for my gun.

YES BRASS IS ACTUALLY CHEAPER AND PERFORMS BETTER. Yugo brass can be had for around 16 cents a round.

But I voted brass for other reasons....

• Like 3

you left out "whatever I can get my hands on". I've been shooting Wolf, Brown bear and Yugo surplus (which is brass cased) but mainly cost is my motivating factor. The AKs I shoot have no problem with steel ammo. I've also been shooting some tula .308 steel cased in M1A's and it actualy shoots pretty clean and consistent.

I shot some steel brown bear through a buddy's AR, and it ate every single round. No FTFs or FTEs. Like I said before, I just got for what's cheapest. Yugo brass is probably the cheapest brass out there, but I just don't have the patience to clean an extra few minutes for using corrosive ammo. Though it would give me an excuse to strip my gun naked and shower with it :angel: