What is the best folding stock for a Saiga 12?

The title basically explains it all. I want to put a folding stock on my S-12 but I don't know which one is best. Which ones should I be looking at?

depends on what kind of style you want, carolina shooters supply has the tromix stock and the folding mechanism, bit pricy, i got the dph alluminum stock for mine from there but i didnt want it to fold so i just didnt buy that part, but if you want a traditional ak folder ie under or side, some of the guys that have one on their gun sould be better off explaining how hard it is

The title basically explains it all. I want to put a folding stock on my S-12 but I don't know which one is best. Which ones should I be looking at?

The "best"?

Off the top of my head I'd say;

d_1284.jpg

Or this;

saiga12_buttstock.jpg

ETA;

Good luck finding them in stock anywhere though...

Also, they don't give them away. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cha-ching!

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 2

I have a K-var folding stock I would be willing to sell. I paid $160...obviously I would take less.

hopefully here is a link "Bulgarian Folding stock" AK-BFS http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16737&cat=251&bestseller=Y

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Without a doubt AK100

skotts_guns_1410.jpg

skotts_guns_1411.jpg

skott,

I don't see you post here much, but I am aware that you have been here quite some time. I wanted to thank you for being an inspiration to me and my Project: evlblk-box-o-parts. I sent the weapon out to TAC47 to have rivets pressed because I am not set up to do so. I will post pics of it when it gets back and I am done with it.

evl....

ETA: here it is just before I sent the barreled receiver and trunnion out....

post-22401-0-79581400-1294370023_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Another vote for the AK-100 style. However to retrofit one to your Saiga, the entire rifle must be disassembled down to the bare receiver. Even the front and rear trunnions have to have their rivets drilled and punched out so they can be removed too. This way, the proper rear trunnion shown in the picture of the parts above can be fitted, and the receiver needs to have a rectangular hole milled into it, and have the latching mechanism for the folded position installed before the front trunnion is put back in and re-riveted into place.

My FFL has an AK-100 style stock on his Saiga for the sake of authenticity, and it's very nice, and has the best lines, being all pure Izhmash/AK OEM parts.

After that, I'd say the ACE is next for aesthetics, it's lines remind me of some of the stocks on Valmet rifles which have obvious AK lineage/DNA to them.

For rigidity, the solid Tromix one, I agree. Although the ACE is only weaker or more flexible under the most extreme abuse. Like if you laid it unfolded and tried to use it and your Saiga as a small makeshift bridge to cross a chasm or something.

Actually the ACE stock has the most amount of flex to it, since it is a five piece assembly that is pinned together. The others are monolithic.

Tony

Well, I will have to get a tromix one next, if I am happy with the Ace, and it has More flex than the Tromix....Seems like a no-brainer!

Another vote for the AK-100 style. However to retrofit one to your Saiga, the entire rifle must be disassembled down to the bare receiver. Even the front and rear trunnions have to have their rivets drilled and punched out so they can be removed too. This way, the proper rear trunnion shown in the picture of the parts above can be fitted, and the receiver needs to have a rectangular hole milled into it, and have the latching mechanism for the folded position installed before the front trunnion is put back in and re-riveted into place.My FFL has an AK-100 style stock on his Saiga for the sake of authenticity, and it's very nice, and has the best lines, being all pure Izhmash/AK OEM parts. After that, I'd say the ACE is next for aesthetics, it's lines remind me of some of the stocks on Valmet rifles which have obvious AK lineage/DNA to them.For rigidity, the solid Tromix one, I agree. Although the ACE is only weaker or more flexible under the most extreme abuse. Like if you laid it unfolded and tried to use it and your Saiga as a small makeshift bridge to cross a chasm or something.

Remove the rear trunnion yes...

Front trunnion does not need to be removed.

The cutting and fitting can be done with a drill press, hacksaw and a few jewelers files. 2 to 3 hours tops.

Weld holes and Rivet and you are good to go.

I'ts not as easy cutting the upper tang and installing a block but it is achieveable with minimal tools and some patients.

• Like 1

OK,

just so you know,..

there are far fewer folding mechanisms than there are stocks that fit 'em.

the mechs are just like a hinge and attach to the rifle and any stock that has matching bolt/screw holes,

so you have to buy the stock you want and the folding mech also, most of the time

folding mechs:

Ace (industry standard0

Ace push button

AR style folder (maybe 2 of this type)

The true folding stock is a factory piece that requires replacing the rear trunion and some other work,... except the Tapco Ak folding stock which comes in different colors and is made of plastic.

there are also under folders made from stamped metal which are also factory options that require work done to your rifle to attach.

Hope this helps

the smallest thats the most solid would have to be the AMD-65 (no comb for a cheek weld... but youre shooting a rapid fire shotgun)

traditional styling pick would be the AK-100 since thats what all the cool kids are going with

over designed rock solid tanks would be the Tromix designs

easiest to install is probably the Romanian (some people such as myself can actually get a consistent cheek weld on this design)

its all about personal preference... hell... for all I know you are the type thats willing to put in the time and effort to adapt this thing to an S12...specials-shotgun%20folding%20stock-2.jpg

DPH solid billet machined stock with heavy duty folding mechanism or stationary block is the only one Id trust to not break on someone's head or if i fell chasing a deer in the woods... we melted an ace stock doing a camo finish..

the russian stocks are top notch, but for the money, you have my vote.

the AMD65 stock is compact, but Im sure you will regret installing one permanently on your gun once you go shoot some 3" shells down it. the only real way to make that a viable option is to put a forward grip on the thing and cut your barrel to 12". otherwise I just dont see the point of a tanker stock on a long arm.