There is a company somewhere that produces vz. 58 drums that are identical to the Chinese AK drums, but with a vz. 58 specific feed tower - I do not believe these work to activate the LRBHO. The only place I've seen them for sale was on a Czech website for about 200 EUR. ...

About $150USD, plus shipping. I doubt that it would be worthwhile to try and make them. Plus you say that they are aluminum!

To clarify, I believe the vz. 58 drums were steel (I don't speak/read Czech, but logically they would have to be - Chinese pattern drum would not be sufficiently robust made out of aluminum). vz. 58 stick mags are made out of aluminum, so you couldn't just weld a vz. 58 stick mag feed tower to the top of an AK drum and use some dummy rounds to make the thing work. Also, 200 EUR right now is about 270 USD :/ Not so worth it.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am here to learn, share knowledge and engage in firearms discussion in a mature manner. I am not at all interested in getting into bickering, fights and making enemies. I try to treat people online

You know I am happy somebody refinished your rifle properly but you are by far the most classless dude I have run across in eons. There is absolutely no reason for you to take a dig at a rifle you adm

Now Spets that is classy and civil. Detente accepted. If you really don't mind I would prefer to stay in the kool aid club if for no other reason to make it easier for others that are interested in fe

Posted Images

There is a company somewhere that produces vz. 58 drums that are identical to the Chinese AK drums, but with a vz. 58 specific feed tower - I do not believe these work to activate the LRBHO. The only place I've seen them for sale was on a Czech website for about 200 EUR. ...

About $150USD, plus shipping. I doubt that it would be worthwhile to try and make them. Plus you say that they are aluminum!

To clarify, I believe the vz. 58 drums were steel (I don't speak/read Czech, but logically they would have to be - Chinese pattern drum would not be sufficiently robust made out of aluminum). vz. 58 stick mags are made out of aluminum, so you couldn't just weld a vz. 58 stick mag feed tower to the top of an AK drum and use some dummy rounds to make the thing work. Also, 200 EUR right now is about 270 USD :/ Not so worth it.

Aluminum is stronger then steel by weight and there is little reason that they could not make a housing from it.. I am kind of sorry to hear that this is not the case.

BTW, the Euro has fell, check your math.... ;)

Aluminum is stronger then steel by weight and there is little reason that they could not make a housing from it.. I am kind of sorry to hear that this is not the case.

BTW, the Euro has fell, check your math.... ;)

It is stronger by weight - weaker by volume. A lighter drum with thicker parts would work just fine - but the magazine well would have to be redesigned to accept a magazine with larger locking surfaces.

Also:

http://www.google.com/search?q=200+EUR+in+USD

1 EUR = 1.35 USD, so 200 EUR = 270 USD

You plugged in 200 USD in EUR to get your numbers - just had it backwards...

Edited by Shandlanos

Guys, this matter is officially resolved to my COMPLETE SATISFACTION. Today, I received my rifle back from Chezchpoint. They fixed it within one week and threw in a $20 magazine for my troubles. I field stripped the rifle and it looks beautiful as far as fit and finish and in perfect condition. Czechpoint has prepped and refinished my magwell area and replaced my bolt carrier and receiver cover, in addition to cleaning and lubing everything to perfection.

In my dealings with him, Dan Brown of Czechpoint was a perfect example of honesty, professionalism, politeness and courtesy. Dealing with him was a breath of fresh air, compared to some other businesses (including a couple who are forum sponsors here) with whom I have experienced multiple ignored e-mails, voice-mails, as well as general rudeness (was it because of my Russian name and accent?).

I can heartily recommend doing business with Czechpoint. The condition in which I originally received this rifle from a certain Internet retailer is HIGHLY atypical for a CZ-USA/Czechpoint weapon. In fact, nothing like this has ever been reported before. This rifle was from Czechpoint's early run, featuring a cold-blued (instead of painted) magwell and was improperly stored in humid, Southern climate for a number of years. You are extremely unlikely to run into a similar issue. Czechpoint weapons and accessories are of extremely high quality and the customer service is simply superb. Please, buy from them and support this great American small business.

Here are the pictures of my beautiful, Czech vs58 as it is now:

post-10789-0-16136300-1298358691_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-53050500-1298358712_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-56100400-1298358732_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-79832900-1298358757_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-74432100-1298358768_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-07714300-1298358805_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-00545100-1298358823_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-79711000-1298358835_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-28469500-1298358847_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-83587900-1298358860_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-51690400-1298358881_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-82609100-1298359036_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-75177100-1298359050_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-91804800-1298359098_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

You know I am happy somebody refinished your rifle properly but you are by far the most classless dude I have run across in eons. There is absolutely no reason for you to take a dig at a rifle you admittedly have never even seen personally. I agree with you Dan at czechpoint is a gent.

far beyond any Century Arms hack-job

• Like 1

You know I am happy somebody refinished your rifle properly but you are by far the most classless dude I have run across in eons. There is absolutely no reason for you to take a dig at a rifle you admittedly have never even seen personally. I agree with you Dan at czechpoint is a gent.

far beyond any Century Arms hack-job

Wow! That's a pretty big statement and an insult to make! Classless... really? Are you new to this whole Internet thing or something? I mean, I can admit to being somewhat of a pompous ass on occasion, but by God man (!), I run into total, complete, trolling, flaming assholes pretty much every single day, including on this very forum. I just don't see how I can be more "classless" than those guys. Just because I like to throw jabs at the (just about) universaly-despised Century Arms? Really? Oh well... You are welcome to your opinion. I am "classy" enough not to turn this into a personal attack-filled flame war.

EDIT: Also, please keep in mind that you are in my thread here. I did throw a couple of jabs at Century arms, but generally offered constructive criticism and advice. It's not like I hijacked your Century vz2008 thread and started trolling my ass off.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Whatever. I will rescind the classless comment. I will settle for your own self assessment of pompous ass and throw in juvenile. It just gets old trying to have a conversation about items so similar but always getting dragged down to mine is better. Kind of like being in a gun version of mean girls. So lame.

I won't comment on this thread anymore. Your sand box skippy.

OK... so, I am getting more into this than I typically would, because I have a day off tomorrow and am a bit inebriated at the moment... :sorcerer:

Any way, rocinante, my friend... juvenile is getting all defensive and personal over some cheap plinking rifle that you bought for your kid. :) Cheers. :up:

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Well the Chezpoint certainly seems like a nice piece! On the other hand, it should for the money. Somebody dropped the ball on the QC on the rifle is question here, but that happens,

I have to disagree with the assessment that the US made receiver is inferior to the Czech one and I will not pay that much difference just to get a chrome lined barrel. I like the Czechpoint, I really do, I just do not see the value in it by price and I have looked at both rifles. The chrome lined barrel would be nice, mosty from the stand point of cleaning and resistance to corrosive ammo, but the non-chromed barrel will more then likely give good service to the non-military user. The most I would pay extra for the chrome barrel is $100!

I also dislike the plastic lockwork of the Chezpoint rifle. In all honestly no one knows how well it will stand up yet.

I see a lot of folks are quick to brand any firearm that came from Century Arms as inferior. This is based on Internet lore and is a vast over generalization. Century has used a lot of shops and people over the years to do their reworks, some of them much better then others. I have seen some very nice Century firearms and some real pieces of crap. It is just not as simple as folks would have you believe!

I guess that I needed to check my math, my figures were wrong on the USD to Euro conversion. :lolol:

As to Aluminum vs steel for drum construction, the drum could have been easily designed to have been made from steel. I am sorry to hear that was never a consideration. The limited bearing area offered by the receiver of these rifles could use a break in the weight department, specially when it comes to something like the weight of a loaded drum.

I would be happy with either rifle! The Chezpoint, once it was sorted out, seems very nice, but the Century Arms seems like a better value for the money.

• Like 2

I am here to learn, share knowledge and engage in firearms discussion in a mature manner. I am not at all interested in getting into bickering, fights and making enemies. I try to treat people online the same way that I would treat them IRL and the way that I would like to be treated myself. My jabs at Century Arms were cheap an unnecessary. rocinante, if I was an ass to you and made you unwelcome in this thread, I would like to offer an apology. My prejudice against Century Arms is somewhat ignorant.

Can we all be friends now?

EDIT: I removed the Century Arms jab from the last picture post.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 3

Now Spets that is classy and civil. Detente accepted. If you really don't mind I would prefer to stay in the kool aid club if for no other reason to make it easier for others that are interested in feedback on the diverse vzs. We can be diverse instead of divisive I think.

I am taking the rifles and the teenie to an indoor range maybe this evening with a bunch of mags and 3 different kinds of rounds to at least see how well they feed.

• Like 2

noob it is not that simple to put a czech barrel on a century receiver. Century has one barrel they deal with so they make it in one barrel hole size which is apparently a bit larger than the czech. Read up on the d-technik receiver at czechpoint.com. It's hole is small to fit the smallest czech barrel. Czech barrels come in six different diameters that may have to be turned on a lathe to fit. That info comes from czechpoint not some internet hearsay. vz58s are not easy builds.

Just got back from the range. Shot both rifles, 2 mags of wolf fmj, 1 of wolf military classic hp, 1 of something brass cases, might be yugo. No fail to feed or ejects. On the classic rifle it didn't lock back on the last round once but did otherwise. Pretty easy shooting guns even with the folding stock. The czech style muzzle brake work pretty well and seem to send fireballs out of the two big side ports. Neither me or my kid will win any turkey shoots and we were firing free standing but overall it they seemed to stay in a decent spread.

I like it.

That is interesting! If the Czech barrel is larger then the Century hole it seems a simple matter to lathe it to correct size. For $25, plus machine work and installation it would be the way to go!

That is interesting! If the Czech barrel is larger then the Century hole it seems a simple matter to lathe it to correct size. For $25, plus machine work and installation it would be the way to go!

Most czech barrels are smaller than the Century receiver hole.

Most czech barrels are smaller than the Century receiver hole.

Most, or all?

Unfortunately, using an original Czech military barrel is not an option if you wish to make use of the barrel threads, without a form 1. The original barrels are about 15.5", so a muzzle extension must be permanently attached before installation, unless half an inch of barrel is worth $200 to you.

Also, I have a few pulled vz. 58 barrels, and they are typically not in very good condition. The parts kits I've come across have usually had very good bores, so I don't know why that is. Does anybody know if the receivers Century builds on are available as stripped receivers? I'd sort of like to do a 15.5" pistol build on a virgin receiver, but spending $350 for a bare receiver seems a little excessive when a complete rifle can be had for the same price.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, using an original Czech military barrel is not an option if you wish to make use of the barrel threads, without a form 1. The original barrels are about 15.5", so a muzzle extension must be permanently attached before installation, unless half an inch of barrel is worth $200 to you.

Also, I have a few pulled vz. 58 barrels, and they are typically not in very good condition. The parts kits I've come across have usually had very good bores, so I don't know why that is. Does anybody know if the receivers Century builds on are available as stripped receivers? I'd sort of like to do a 15.5" pistol build on a virgin receiver, but spending $350 for a bare receiver seems a little excessive when a complete rifle can be had for the same price.

Good Information! I would just go with a new Muzzle device, permanently attached. I have no interest in building an "original" rifle.I did consider the VZ for an SBR as well, but think I would want to go a good bit shorter then you.

shandlonas here is an ohio rapid fire receiver for 250. They are perpetually available on gun broker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217274610

I read of one guy who bought a striped century receiver but was chagrined when he couldn't get his czech barrel to work.

If I was going to go to all the trouble to build one I would go SBR too. Here is a nice thread.

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=37560.0

• 1 month later...

I installed a Neit Arms piston cover rail and mounted an Aimpoint Micro and a VLTOR offset light mount with a SureFire G2 LED on it. The piston cover rail was really tight going on there. I had to smack it with my hand a few times in order to seat it. It also scraped some paint off. The retention pin had to malleted in. The tighter tolerances make sense, if you are to mount optics on that thing.

The rail is pretty short. In fact, the VLTOR mount and the Micro just barely fit on there together. Had to mount the VLTOR first and then the Micro. Due to the spacing, it doesn't work the other way around.

The balance and weight of the rifle are still very good. The rail sits low enough for co-witness, but the fully enclosed front sight post makes it more difficult than on an AK. Doesn't matter too much, if you keep both eyes open. Overall, it's a pretty good, effective setup.

Here are some pics:

post-10789-0-48736900-1301082359_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-57343100-1301082364_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-41775400-1301082369_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-50472000-1301082375_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-55671400-1301082379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I installed a Neit Arms piston cover rail and mounted an Aimpoint Micro and a VLTOR offset light mount with a SureFire G2 LED on it. ...

Very Sanitary!

I installed a Neit Arms piston cover rail and mounted an Aimpoint Micro and a VLTOR offset light mount with a SureFire G2 LED on it. ...

Very Sanitary!

I got a surplus wire folder, FAB Defense pistol grip extended mag release and bolt release being installed next.

looks good. looking forward to a range report.

If you end up putting a bottom rail on with a pistol grip you might want to get a 45 degree mount for your flashlight. I have a setup like that on my S12 and it is so easy to flip the light on and off with my thumb.

something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-DEGREE-ANGLE-OFFSET-WEAVER-PICATINNY-RAIL-MOUNT-J5-/390294226844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf59479c

I just have to clobber together a home grown extended mag releases and mine will be complete.

• 1 month later...

I just saw that Czechpoint has Czech vz 58 stripped receivers for $350+shipping+FFL and that Apex has barrels for $50 now. A parts kit will be $100+ (likely $150+). W/ all that and the difficulty of the build I would just buy a finished rifle somewhere unless you just really wanted a project to work on (nothing wrong with that). I think people that pay top $ for someone to convert their Saigas are crazy though - that is easier and cheaper to do yourself...

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these several years ago and I did deal with Dan Brown. My transaction was great and Dan was tip-top. The gun I got looked brand new. No corrosion or rust, the parts and barrel are pristine. No problems with the FC parts but I did switch them out with all steel parts and piston (US made)from ORF when they were still in business. Scope is russian PK-01. You will have to excuse the silenced HK53

IMG_00872009_04_10.jpg