ar style safety

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and bought my saiga 12 back in november. I want to do the conversion and have researched many of the fine people offering this service. My question is for people who've had the R&R conversion. How do you like the ar type safety? The pro and cons of all the changes would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

I built one for the FBI Hostage Rescue team prior to R&R Targets going after a patent. The FBI HRT liked it. However, I believe Jack Travers had built some guns with an AR safety (again prior to R&R) and felt it was slower in competition than a modified AK lever. Maybe Jack can chime in here to clarify.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Patent? On a rip-off of an AR safety? Huh? Good luck with that. Filing a patent and enforcing one are very different things. It doesn't matter anyway, unless you want to sell them.

Dude, just get 2 detachable levers,, some spring washers, and some 8mm drill rod. Drill your hole to line up with the tail of the trigger, and cut a notch in the drill rod so that it only blocks it when turned, and can clear through the cut out. Use a drill or a punch to make the detent points and assemble. Yeah, you need to make one of the levers detachable from the shaft, but I'm thinking most of us can figure that out.

This is so simple it's retarded. You can weld the original holes shut or not, it won't matter except for looks.

I think Jack used a sliding block instead of a rotating one. But really, all you need to do is figure out how to block and unblock the tail of the trigger.

The safety part is easy, the hard part are the "detents" and to make them feel and work right.

There are a hundred different ways to do it. A patent is silly even if you are going to sell them. Change one part and yours is different.

Edited by Shadoh